Recipe for Porridge / Purée

My modus operandi is to have a list of meats/fish and a list of veggie. Anyhow mix them and it forms a different combination. Usually depends on what is available in the fridge.

1. Fish - Ngo/kurau/cod/salmon - cut into 1 inch cubes and freeze. 1 portion for 1 day's porridge (lunch and dinner).

2. Chicken liver - recommended by PD. Ask for free liver when buying chicken. One liver for one day's meal.

3. Minced pork - If buy from market directly, choose the lean meat ($2 min) and then ask the butcher to run it through the mincer twice. Best if mince (by hand / machine) at home. More hygenic. Store in sizes of one table spoon. Flatten when freeze for easy thawing.

Other ingrediants (mostly veggies, chopped)
1. Brocolli
2. Spinach
3. Local spinach
4. Cauliflower
5. Wolfberries
6. Carrots
7. Sweet potato
8. Beet root
9. Lotus root

Note: Try to avoid potato - they are just starch and not much nutrients otherwise.

Basically what they get in the porridge is what I would be cooking for dinner. Easier to plan. If I have brocolli I just take out one stem and chop that for their porridge.

I use pork and anchovies as stock for the porridge. High in iron and calcium.

Broccoli, tofu, cauliflower, pumpkin, spinach, tomato and carrot are the normal veggies. Some of the veggies can be mashed by spoon after cooking till soft. Easy to feed.

Daily fruit servings.. 1 whole avocado mixed with a little formula. To make serving creamy. Apple, banana and papayas are easy n nice too. A lot of preservatives on berries, hence I looked for alternative.

My baby doesn't like to drink plain water. That's the hassle for me. Have to coax and force everyday. Once a week we cook green bean soup or white fungus drink for him. Hahaha.. He would then hold his water bottle and drink as much as he could. These drinks are cooling like barley but less likely to lead to phlegm. Give it a try.. Advised by baby's Chinese physician.

Thank you for sharing. I've been making the same porridge for her until she's bored. Whenever is porridge time, she'll turn cranky. No choice got to force her to eat. Will try the recipe this weekend.

By the way do you add soya sauce or salt to the porridge?

Same. My baby 10 months old also nowadays refuse his porridge. Now he likes everything to bite like banana, papaya, biscuit, and egg yolk. I don't puree... he likes it the way it is. Spoon feed scrapping it. Porridge wise, plain thick porridge in meat stock. I add cheese

Hello Florence,

Little soy sauce is ok but I'm not doing that now. I think the sweetness from meat and veggies taste very good. Put anchovies lor... Porridge will taste salty too.
Yea, going to try cheese with pasta. Excited!!

Hi Caviar mummy, green bean and barley ok for 6 months and above babies? Can i put in his formula milk?

Wow. Mummy Florence, thanks for opening this question! I am trying to learn more too!
happy.gif

Hi mummies
I heard some fishes cannot eat everyday.
What kind of fishes is safe for baby to consume?
Do we need to puree the porridge and fish?
How do I defrost? Can I put in the lower section of fridge?
Sorry...I dont cook until I got baby!:p

Hi Rosemummy,

Barley water can be mixed with formula milk. I put little melon strips instead of sugar. No doubt we read barley does not cause phlegm, but interesting enough, it did really caused phlegm after some babies drank it. 6m babies can start drinking le.
Alternatively, u can try cooking 白木耳 with lily bud, honey date and melon strips. This drink is good for lung and cooling too. Drink separately, not with FM. My baby had cough and phlegm so I made this for him as a little nourishment.

Green bean soup is cooling too. If your baby has phlegm after drinking barley, u switch to green bean soup lor.
happy.gif
)

Hi Mummies, just to share with you the feeding schedule I've created for my baby. Do you think I'm overfeeding her?

For the porridge, I just put everything together and cook it. When she wanna eat, I just blend it and feed her.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_pdf.gif

Feeding 2.pdf (13.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Hi Florence, how big is your baby? You are like me, i also draw up a table like this to manage her diet... I think you are doing fine :)

Hi Rosemummy,

I keep frozen fish til a week too. Same for pork and chicken.
I don't know if porridge can be frozen and warm before serving. Cos I feel porridge is easy to cook and hence eat fresh.

Hi Forence,
Maybe can switch the Heinz fruit juice to natural ones? I read such fruit juice and jar food is very high in sugar. Cos sugar is cheap to manufacturers. I use spoon to scrap apples or pears and dilute the juice with plain water.

Thanks Caviar mummy!

Can we give the same type of fish everyday? I giving my bb ngor fish (threadfin) cook porridge for lunch and dinner.

Can bb drink ribena?

Ribena after 1 year, as per it's label.

Try Mee Sua or bihun or noodles soup.

my bb likes to eat noodles.

If baby cough and phlegm, any suggestion drinks?
beside the medication.
My baby always down with phlegm and cough.

Hi Rosemummy,

I'm not sure about giving baby fish everyday. But I do have variety for my baby. Yea, he's taking threadfin and cod fish too.

Hi Meplaa,

When my baby boy was down with phlegm and cough (eventually fever kicks in), I fed him lotsa plain water. Think it's the best fluid. Because of the recurring cough and phlegm, I've started to bring him to Chinese massage, Tui Na. Has been 2 months, so far so good. Anyway, I believe that Tui Na can boost immune system.
happy.gif

Hi Caviar,

How old is your baby boy? where to go for Tui Na?
Now she is having cough and phelgm again and the fever is on and off. Very worried.
It likes cycle every 2-3 months, sometime even 1 month. the cough &amp; phlegm will back again.

There was one time, i asked PD how to prevent from cough &amp; phlegm keep coming back to my bb.

He was joking but in a flat tone.. unless you keep your bb out from ppl. even us we are carrying virus too. LOL!!

That is impossible ah !!!

Hi Meplaa,

My boy is 10m now. The phlegm is very irritating and persistent. He had twice so far and PD also said it will recur.
My boy goes to Tui Na once every week. At Bao Kang Chinese Physician (Bukit Merah Central). Each session about half an hour, $20.

I read Herbal Basic TCM (Havelock Road) uses nose spa and light therapy for cough and phlegm. U can read up about this place. Think they can cure illness faster with their machines. Bao Kang is solely massage. All the best
happy.gif

Hi Caviar, thanks for sharing on the tui na. I didn't know baby can tui na too. So sua ku.

How frequent do you bring your baby for tui na? Wanted to bring my baby girl there too cause she has phlegm quite frequent.

Hi Florence,

U r most welcome. I just knew about this too.
My boy goes once a week. If your baby has phlegm now, maybe Herbal Basics is a better choice. I read some reviews from mummies that their babies recovered from phlegm after few sessions of nose spa. And nose spa is actually herbs blended in water and let baby breathe in the steam. Try to google to read up more?

Hi Caviar,

Have you tried before the Herbal Basic TCM (Havelock Road)?

Currently my bb is on medication, afraid it will be any conflict.

No wor, haven't try. Cos my baby is fine now, so I just continue to let him have massage at Bao Kang.

I think the clinic will want you to stop medicine totally so they can observe their therapy results.

Just to share my experience with the TCM@Havelock road.

Bb is 17 months, due to always down with flu and running nose every 2-3months, so decided to bring her to see TCM, after reading so many reviews on forum.

Last Tue, bb is down with fever following by cough, running nose and phlegm.
We went to see GP, prescribe medicines for cough, running nose and phlegm. We have Paracetemol and Neurofen at home.

Last Fri, bb’s fever is still on and off since last Tue, so brought her to see PD. PD prescribe us, Singular and Antibiotic. He told me that my bb has Bronchitis, but not so serious. He asked us to come back for review on Monday.

Last Sat, 1st visit to TCM@Havelock, I have told the doctor my bb condition (fever, cough, running nose and phlegm) and bronchitis issue and emphasize my bb cough through out the night, the cough really annoy her sleep. She said, will do the treatment on her fever 1st so that day, only Tuina and nose spa without any oral medication but fever water to massage bb 1 bottle. She asked us to stop giving bb running nose medicine because it will worst my bb phlegm condition but still giving the rest medicines included antibiotic.

Bb really doesn’t like Tuina. She screamed during Tuina.

Last Sun, Bb’s fever still on and off over the night, so we went back to see her on Sunday. A lot of parents were in the clinic when we reached there around 1.20pm. We told the doctor, bb still has fever and her cough is bad. She still decided to give treatment on fever. So again Tuina and Nose spa, this time she decided to give us oral medication for fever and fever water 2 bottles for massage bb.

Because bb’s fever, they assigned us to the back room, which is near pantry. After nose spa, we were waiting there quite some time but no one come to Tuina bb. BB is very fussy already, so I carried her and walked to the in front receptionist. I saw many parents which behind our q, their bb is on Tuina.

I walked and passed through the doctor’s room (which was open at that time). The doctor asked the man who always in reception area. He told the doctor, because we were at back room so they have overlooked us and the doctor asked me not to walk around clinic as bb’s fever. So I went back to the back room and told my hubby this incident.

After a while, an auntie came and performed the Tuina for my bb. Same with her 1st visit, she really didn’t like the Tuina, scream all the time.

After Tuina, bb in a very bad mood and screamed… that time we were in front of the reception area. Bb kept screaming till the doctor came out, they just made a casual remark said bb wants to sleep. So we quickly paid and left the clinic.

Yesterday which is Monday, we went back to see PD again for review, a shock my bb condition is getting worse. PD said my bb’s lung has wheezing, so she was on nebulizer last night and gave another week Singular and need to review again on Thursday.

I have decided to give up on Tuina coz bb really doesn’t like and I’m very heart pain when she was screaming.

Just to share my experience without any prejudice.

Hi Meplaa mummy,

It is a mummy's nightmare when bb cough worsened to wheezing. I remember bring my baby to PD almost 3 times a month to check his lung. I realised that diluting his milk and keeping him hydrated with lots of rest slowly helps him recover. Sometimes cough is caused by nose and solving the nose problem will help the cough. But once it develops to wheezing, it is really heart breaking. And baby cough takes a lot long time to recover.

Tuina or TCM probably helps in prevention. I have yet to try as I am a bit concern on the skill of tcm shifu. I do simple tummy massage on my own (which I learn from a workshop). Not too aggressive ones:p

Hope your baby is recovering. My heart still jumps when I hear my baby gives a slight cough!

But I think TCM does help in some ways to relief and prevent cough.

Take care mummy!

I think tuina or tcm is pre

Hi Meplaa mummy, I just brought my baby to TCM@ Havelock on Sunday too. Is my first visit as baby has phlegm for few days so I decided to try out the tuina instead of taking western medication.

Told doctor the problem she has and she told us to try the nose spa and tuina for her. My baby was quite ok throughtout the whole process. Paid $56 for this service which seems expensive to me.

Everything seems ok but yesterday my baby pass motion for 5 times. She used to pass motion 1-2 times a day but after that tuina she pass so many times till her backside got rash. She cry so badly whenever we clean her backside. Not sure if there's side effect after nose spa / tuina. My baby has a standard routine meal so it can't be the food that makes her pass motion so many times. Still thinking if I should go back again this Sunday.

Hi Florence,

Did the doctor says your girl has to go back consecutively for few days? Do u think the nose spa helps?
Actually I feel it's weird your girl has diarrhea after that. I would love to find out too. But it's hard to relate to the nose spa since she din consume anything. Did the doctor massage (tuina) for her?

My boy also 10m now, still going Tui Na every week.

I personally feel that paracetamol and flu medication (piriton etc) are the two most important medicine for young children. We never travel without them. Paracetamol is often very effective to bring down fever (and pain) and is a very safe medication - be careful not to overdose. Neurofen is an ibuprofen and has many side-effects - avoid where possible. A few doctors I know tells me they will not give ibuprofen to their own children unless it is a last resort.

Flu medication (often drowsy anti-histamine) is another life-saver. It helps to dry up the nasal passage and because it is drowsy, it enables the kids to sleep well - and as we all know it, rest is a very important part of getting well.

In my personal experience, if we manage to get the flu under control, the cough will be manageable. It is also helpful to totally cut out on milk if possible. Subsitute with noodles, porridge and bread. Milk tends to make the throat itchy and more phlegm...

Tuina is not supposed to be painful. Not for young children, anyway... Have done it a few times. It helps with circulation, good if babies are too young and you don't feel like giving them medication.

Hi Caviar Mummy,

I call and feedback about the diarrhea the next day, they tell me to bring the baby down for them to check which i did not do so. The following day she's back to normal no more diarrhea.

Yup they did tuina for her. Suppose to bring her back last week for nose spa and tuina but i didn't go. Decided to try out other physician instead to see if is nose spa or tuina that causes the diarrhea.

Sorry for the gibberish replies. I was reading this thread when my girl grabbed the phone to see what i was doing... hence the gibberish.. xD

Back