Poor experience with broken processes with KK hospital (Prof Tee)

Hi all,

I just like to share my experience with KK.

We chose KK because only KK can has the equipment to handle complicated childbirth.

We went to the KK private suite on 14 Jun for first appointment (6 weeks) with Prof Tee. He suggested to do the Harmony over the FTS for Down Syndrome check because it is 99% accuracy. He told us we could think about it. At the payment, we told the nurse the test, the nurse did not action on it.

When we went for the 2nd appointment on 19 Jul, already in our 12 weeks, Prof Tee was puzzled we had not done the test. We were under the impression that it would be done at the 2nd appointment.

Doesn't the entire pregnancy checkup have some kind of SOP, certain weeks gynae checkup, certain weeks must do this and that check and everything should be arranged?

We are already at 12 weeks, and at payment, I had to asked the cashier, who is making the appointment for me? She looked puzzled and I had to remind saying this is the 12 weeks, so who is ordering the check? She then checked with the nurse with Prof Tee about it and make the appointment on Mon only after I asked at the cashier. Actually, today the nurse told me otherwise that we should do some other test before Harmony test. Why should we if the Harmony test is 99% accurate?

I dont't even know by the time is done, is it too late for any action, if needed, when the results are out because it is the 3rd visit is end Aug, week 17!??

This is the not the first time KK processes are broken. When I booked the first appointment and wanted the private suite, the central appointment booked me to clinic A. Back then, I did not know private suite was another clinic by another fancy name.

This whole episode gives me a feeling that the gynae and nurses dont't talk and no follow through. Gynae will say do this and that check and that's it, and there is no action by the nurse to order the checks, so honestly, I have to arrange everything? We actually decided at the first appointment and had asked the nurse at payment but the nurse did nothing.

Those who are with KK, do you encounter same experience and do you find KK's processes broken and the nurses and gynae dont't talk. Who job is it to order the checkup?

It is like I have to review their work every visit to make sure no balls are dropped...

Hi,
I am with KKH as well. I normally see A/P John Tee at the AMK satellite clinic.
My appointments with major check up to be done at the hospital were always arranged promptly by the front desk when I am making payments.

Not too sure about the standard of services they offer at the private suite.

Hi,
I am with KKH as well. I normally see A/P John Tee at the AMK satellite clinic.
My appointments with major check up to be done at the hospital were always arranged promptly by the front desk when I am making payments.

Not too sure about the standard of services they offer at the private suite.

He and his nurse did not arrange OSCAR or harmony for my wife and she's already in 12 weeks. Told us to think about it during first visit at 6 weeks. We told the nurse at payment that very day and there was no action by the nurse. We thought he's going to do it today and today he turned around and asked why had not done the test?!?! Hello! Should I arrange everything myself?

Hmmm there is a breakdown in communication. The nurse should have informed
the doc that you are going ahead with the test on that very day and the doctor will order the test.

Any major investigations not done by the gynae will be pre-arranged. Same for the week20 detailed scanning

Thanks. we are rather confused about their process. We will make sure the appointment is made before payment. Don't know if it will be too late for the test now although the nurse said will go order on Mon... We are at week 12 and the next gynae appointment is week 17...

Nope it is not too late for harmony test. Do not worry.

For more info you can refer to this
http://www.ariosadx.com

If anything like this occurs again, do feedback as the standard of service provided is unsatisfactory.

It's definitely a miscomm for your case unfortunately. You may feedback to kkh (if you prefer so). Or switch hospital if your priority has changed. To me this is an isolated case. I don't have any unpleasant encounters with kkh nor Dr Tee so far.

It's not too late to perform the Harmony test for your wifey. Try not to think of negative results....what had happened was unlucky.. but stay positive and look forward to knowing that your baby is going to be healthy plus the gender bonus. Your baby and your other half will be happy you're looking forward to that.

Even at 2nd appt, he did not seem to order the test, he already know my wife exceeds 35 yrs old and have to do the test... he does not seem to know the patients at all... Just do ultrasound scan.

I suggest you change doctor to one you're more comfortable with. No point staying on with one who didn't start off well.

Hi,

Just to share my experiences with kkh - it has been an orderly and structured process. Even when I am referred to different departments for different things (detailed scan... Rescans... Walk in appointment to see my gynae for some complication etc), I know where and what I am supposed to go and do. This is why I haven chosen to go back there for my second pregnancy.

Most of the private suite gynae practise at clinic A, B or C on specific weekdays, so when you call to book an initial appointment, you may get booked to go to either A, B, C or TPS depending on the day of your appointment.

I believe the delay in your case was more of a miscommunication - whereby the gynae gave you options to consider, but your decision was not made known to him. Rather, you communicated your intent to the cashier, who usually acts under instruction of the gynae to give appointments. At this time, I suppose the gynae also didn't know you and your wife wanted to do the test, so didn't give order to the cashier to book a Harmony appointment for you. Rather, he would have given the cashier the list of follow up routine checks (one half monthly, or monthly, to the 5th month detailed scan) which would appear in your invoice for that first trip.

Anyway, moving on, perhaps like what some forumers suggested, if you are not comfortable with the gynae, it would be advisable to change one. Afterall, you don't want to come back from an appointment always wondering if you have missed out any significant milestone in your wife's pregnancy. Best of luck!

Yes I stress again it's a miscomm and not a case of questionable process at kkh.

By the way Dr Tee is not a man of many words. But i always managed to chat along with him as I know what I want to find out and so I ask and he will get more chatty from there.

Find a doc that suits you as you're still a "paying customer".

At my first appt my baby did noy have heart beat yet.. clinic b... after that i specify i wan only private suite which is only on specify days so i have to arrange my schedule to fit my gynae. As only private suite has the machine for scanning baby n i prefer to scan n look at my baby every appt... kiasu hehe

N on 2nd visit upon confirmation there is heartbeat. I was given lots of appt in advance up to the detail scans as some scan has to book in advance as there are long queues...

I trust that gynae knows best, we are not the experts, what is there to decide, just order the test and we do and he knows my wife is above 35 yrs old, most pple DS do test. The reason why I check at cashier is because that is the place where the bookings are made, if you ask the gynae, he will say check outside. if I had not checked while booking next appointment, the test would had been missed out again. We are already very qing chai, nv ask alot of questions.

Yes, i always have a wonder if some tests are missed after the appointment.

That is not true, because ultimately the DS tests, Harmony or not, are extra tests outside of the routine checks. For every one couple who wishes to do these tests, there is always another who would not for their own reasons. The gynae can only put up a recommendation, instead of ordering the test for you straight without getting your opinion.

I am not with John Tee, but with another gynae at TPS. The way things are done, we are always consulted when it comes to these optional tests. For us, we are very clear we'd go for them. So when my gynae asked if we wanted to consider the tests, we were able to give her a direct "yes". She'd then proceed to jot it down and order the test done. However, as these optional tests are not done within TPS, she told us that someone from the other dept would call us to give us an appointment (since TPS has no rights I assume to give us appointment for another department which has its own appointments to consider). This msg was repeated to us when we made payment at the cashier. For both my pregnancies, I always receive the phone call for appointment almost the next working day...

If its indeed the doctor who shld be ordering the test then the dr shld have followed up at week 8 or 10 to ask what ur final decision is. no matter what I think there is egg on kkh's face

Thats why dont pull out now, go and shop for another Gynae. If u r happy, then just say bb to kkh. On a more optimistic note most pregnancies are smooth sailing, and there is always the option of transferring to kkh if there are indeed complications.

Just to share my experience, I was visiting a gynae at kkh starting from march for my pregnancy. I liked my gynae a lot and had no problem with the tests at kkh but I was really put off by the fact that the appointments are always fully booked n it's very hard to change. For eg if u booked the oscar scan way in advance n u have something on at the last min it's very difficult to get another slot. I also had trouble booking any appointments under private suite due to my work schedule. So in the end I changed to NUH. It's not true that only kkh is able to deal with complications. All major government structured hospitals are made to deal with complications. In fact the gynae I m seeing at Nuh is dealing with high risk pregnancies such as twins etc. so if u really don't like the system at kkh u can consider trying out Nuh. However each to it's own n it depends which u are more comfortable with :)

By the way my EDD is in oct and I changed gynae when I was 18 weeks along so there is still time to search around for sure.

By the way my EDD is in oct and I changed gynae when I was 18 weeks along so there is still time to search around for sure.
Thank you for the information Alyssaria. We did the fts and harmony test. Still pending to chagr gynae. Nuh is abit far, we are tpy, mt a, tmc are nearer.

At my first appt my baby did noy have heart beat yet.. clinic b... after that i specify i wan only private suite which is only on specify days so i have to arrange my schedule to fit my gynae. As only private suite has the machine for scanning baby n i prefer to scan n look at my baby every appt... kiasu hehe

N on 2nd visit upon confirmation there is heartbeat. I was given lots of appt in advance up to the detail scans as some scan has to book in advance as there are long queues...
Hi xicloudix, i asked for advance booking when the nurse manager came to speak with us, she said they dont do advanced bookings...

Hi I didn't need to do any additional tests etc because my records in kkh can be accessed by the gynae at Nuh :) all hospital records can be accessed by another doctor as long as it's government hospital like Nuh, sgh etc. I admit Nuh is further cos I also stay in north but I feel more comfortable with their system. If u want to stay within kkh u can try my previous gynae tan thiam chye. He is also a very gd doctor :)

im with doc tan heng hao at kkh no issue with him n the nurses. all test require by doc tan are being schedule according n no miscommunication at all also. overall quite ok with them

Hi I didn't need to do any additional tests etc because my records in kkh can be accessed by the gynae at Nuh :) all hospital records can be accessed by another doctor as long as it's government hospital like Nuh, sgh etc. I admit Nuh is further cos I also stay in north but I feel more comfortable with their system. If u want to stay within kkh u can try my previous gynae tan thiam chye. He is also a very gd doctor :)

We did ask for KT Tan and Tan TC, but it seems that because they are all senior consultant and runs different clinics, they did not accept us for fear of souring work relationship. They are not customer first, quite disappointed. They recommended someone under our current senior consultant.... still the same nurse team who screwed up.

Don't know where else can I complain, the QA also did not help much.

We did ask for KT Tan and Tan TC, but it seems that because they are all senior consultant and runs different clinics, they did not accept us for fear of souring work relationship. They are not customer first, quite disappointed. They recommended someone under our current senior consultant.... still the same nurse team who screwed up.

Don't know where else can I complain, the QA also did not help much.
Oh dear. That should not happen. I thought patients should have the right to transfer gynaes according to preference. Actually John Tee is supposed to be the best gynae around if the issue is with the nurses then perhaps just double triple check with them each time after a visit to confirm the tests. They normally take feedbacks quite seriously perhaps u could write in to feedback? I remember they wanted my feedback when I told then I decided to transfer to Nuh.

Oh dear. That should not happen. I thought patients should have the right to transfer gynaes according to preference. Actually John Tee is supposed to be the best gynae around if the issue is with the nurses then perhaps just double triple check with them each time after a visit to confirm the tests. They normally take feedbacks quite seriously perhaps u could write in to feedback? I remember they wanted my feedback when I told then I decided to transfer to Nuh.

That is what we think, they only say the gynaes did not want to take the case without much explanation. We already met up with the nurse manager of clinic a and the qa person.

Recommended me a gynae we could not find any info abt him, some more not senior consultant.

That is what we think, they only say the gynaes did not want to take the case without much explanation. We already met up with the nurse manager of clinic a and the qa person.

Recommended me a gynae we could not find any info abt him, some more not senior consultant.

U want to try doc tan heng hao? He's a senior consultant n his assistant nurse are quite friendly

We can ask but i think it is going to be the same answer. Disappointing. Dont know why such stupid arrangement.

U try contact his assistant nurse Felicia n see how it goes but doc tan the waiting time is longer if u can wait. Give it a try if not u wun know but I think shld be ok de. There's a lot of walk in customer appointing doc tan

We can ask but i think it is going to be the same answer. Disappointing. Dont know why such stupid arrangement.
Hello, just wondering but why do you want to change gynae? I just delivered at KKH on 9 July and was under Prof John Tee for my whole pregnancy. I would say that most of my complaints so far are not actually under his control but more on KKH generally. I was initially upset at how chop chop my visits with Prof tee were, but concluded that it was because my pregnancy has been very smooth sailing throughout and I did not encounter any complications until I hit 37 weeks. I started getting mild but relatively regular contractions on the day I hit 37 weeks and after speaking to KKH's CEO, Prof Kenneth Kwek, decided to go down to the delivery suite to get my contractions checked. Prof tee actually personally came down to the observation ward I was in to check on me and according to the nurses attending to me, not every gynae does that. He also personally spoke to my boyfriend privately and reassured him that our baby and I are fine and can go home. At my 38th week checkup, we found out that my baby hasn't grown since my 36th week checkup although she was still active and was constantly moving in my tummy. I was admitted to be induced the next day and delivered a healthy baby girl. My labour and delivery was overall very pleasant and smooth, as well as my 1 night stay at the B1 ward. Prof tee also visited me the next day to check on how I was doing and he was pleased to see that I am doing well. Anyway, all I wanted to say was that it is generally normal to encounter minor hiccups especially at govt hospitals. Even private hospitals will have their own problems as well. Like what others have said, additional tests which aren't necessarily compulsory like the FTS, aren't handled by the gynaes themselves. Prof tee only wrote a note for the staff at the payment counter to arrange an appointment for the 20th week detailed scan as that is a compulsory scan. Just wanted to share a little about what I encountered and my opinions. Hope all goes well for you and your wife!

Kim714, maybe because you get the ceo attention, treatment is different. Keen to know how you get to him as i can feedback all the inconveniences they caused.

I want to add that I switched to Nuh too because I encountered a very bad experience at the 24h KK clinic. I couldn't keep liquids down during my first tri n my gynae specifically told me if I feel giddy n dehydrated to go down to the 24h clinic for a drip. But when I got there the doc on duty insisted not to drip me n sent me home with antibiotics claiming I had UTI of which 2 days later I called kkh n they said my lab report was actually negative for bacteria. So it was a wrong diagnosis right from the start. I was still unable to drink much liquids after a few weeks n during one of those days my colleague commented my face was white as a sheet n brought me to Nuh. I must say the team there was a lot better n after the drip n medication I felt a lot better. I still continued to see my gynae at kkh cos I m comfortable with him but somehow didn't really trust the kkh system as much so I decided eventually to switch.

What I want to say is, kkh may have very good gynaes but if u somehow lost some faith in the system, it's understandably that a new environment is necessary. After all when u deliver it's not just the gynae that is there but the nurses, midwife etc. without trust in the system u wouldn't feel at ease. And also I believe what works for others may not work for you. So Garfield, I suggest u look for another hospital if possible so u will feel more at ease. If u are looking at TMC, dr Benjamin tham is quite popular with my friends who delivered at TMC

Thanks Alyssaria, I let my dear dear decide who. I had given some of the gynae names to her :) a lot of Jan mums already booked Dr. Benjamin.

Thanks Alyssaria, I let my dear dear decide who. I had given some of the gynae names to her :) a lot of Jan mums already booked Dr. Benjamin.

Doc Adrian Woolworth also not bad a few of my friends are under him also. But if u are concern abt complications is best to stay in kkh coz the bill I believe will be cheaper than in private hospital. I stick to doc tan throughout frm ivf till delivery coz he has my case so we just stick to him

Doc Adrian Woolworth also not bad a few of my friends are under him also. But if u are concern abt complications is best to stay in kkh coz the bill I believe will be cheaper than in private hospital. I stick to doc tan throughout frm ivf till delivery coz he has my case so we just stick to him

How to contact Dr Tan H H or assistant nurse Felicia? If I call the central appointment, they will know tell me my wife already has a gynae.

How to contact Dr Tan H H or assistant nurse Felicia? If I call the central appointment, they will know tell me my wife already has a gynae.

Just call kkh mainline n tell them u wish to make appointment with doc tan hh I dun think they will ask u much info ba.

it's not goin 2be better as u progress further..

if u do a test, there is no where u can call 2check results, if u see dr thh, on a sat.. it's waitin in clinic d like subdised consultin n payin pte prices.. n é aptm hotline can only mak aptm.. they can't help u with anythg else like wat test 2do that day.. so if u can't bear with being trf here n there n no1 being able to giv complete ans, then skip kkh..

é docs r very good.. dr thh is a very experience doc.. but u muz b able 2bear with kkh system...

Last edited:
oh.. if u hav emergency situation, u can only go 24h clinic n see é doc or med officer on duty.. ur case file will b traced n brought up 2é clinic, but most likely é on duty doc wun see all ur past records.. u will still b treated, but as for level of skills n experience, depends...

Kim714, maybe because you get the ceo attention, treatment is different. Keen to know how you get to him as i can feedback all the inconveniences they caused.

Hi, no I did not have the CEO's attention all the way until my 37th week when I texted him to seek advice if I should go down and get checked for my contractions cause the nurse I spoke to when I called Kkh's general hotline didn't really give me a clear advice. Anyway, my first trimester scan for Down syndrome and other complications was done by the CEO and he gave me his name card with his mobile number on it telling me that I can contact him if I needed any help. But I only decided to contact him at my 37th week as I've mentioned.

Hi Alyssaria,

I agree with you on the gynae, Dr Tan Thiam Chye. He is my gynae currently and I'm at 16 weeks. The doc is not the problem in KKH but my worry are the nurses.

Been hearing horror stories of how nurses @ KKH are very rude and unkind. Anyone with experiences?

My wife gave birth Jun 14 in KKH and stay in one-bedded ward. During the first night, we requested the nurse to push my boy back to the nursery so that my wife can rest for the night but the nurse refused. She said that they have a policy where the baby should room in with his mum. We have an argument with the nurse and she finally push my baby back to the nursery. However, she just left my baby at a corner in the nursery and let him cries. In the end, we ask the nurse to bring the baby back and take care him ourselves.

"Great" service from KKH

Hi Alyssaria,

I agree with you on the gynae, Dr Tan Thiam Chye. He is my gynae currently and I'm at 16 weeks. The doc is not the problem in KKH but my worry are the nurses.

Been hearing horror stories of how nurses @ KKH are very rude and unkind. Anyone with experiences?
Hi harvey8, yes I agree it's the system n nurses that I wasn't comfortable with. I like my gynae very much too, in fact he was very caring n assuring during my first trimester but I just don't know if I will feel comfortable delivering in the kkh environment. I believe u should feel comfortable in the place u are going to deliver n Nuh gave me that feeling hence I switched. Nurses there were a lot more friendly n personal too. I also like the fact that I don't need to call their hotline like a million times before I can speak to someone n Nuh also recently has this personalized programme that allows u to link to your own midwife. Find that will b helpful in my third trimester.

Been.reading all the sharing posted here. Just to share my personal experience at kkh.

I was with Prof Tee for my pregnancy. He's really a man of real few words. In fact my checks usually last ard 5 min. Mid way thru I decided to do the amniocentesis test. Prof tee did it for me. Just for that moment, I could tell he's really skilful n experienced. That's why I decided to stick to him.

Perhaps it was a pretty smooth pregnancy for me so I didn't bother much even if he didn't say much during routine checks. It's my 2nd bb. So 1st one, w a diff Gynae who talks n shares a lot with me, I already learn much. My only complain is... on the day of delivery, he was not the one who delivered bb. It was the midwife. I heard nurses celled him. I was in terrible pain n literally shouted if the doc coming. Then I heard the nurses told me not to push the baby. Mid wife then told me not to worry. If doc can't reach on time, she will deliver bb for me. True enough. Bb came out and at that moment prof tee arrived. He even said.... wow bb so fast come out. I was paying private rate n was real disappointed that I paid so much n bb not delivered by Gynae. After he stitched up the wound, he said congrats n said everything ok. Then he left. Never see him anymore. Next day onwards, it was team doc who checked on me. In fast since I stepped into delivery suites, all checks were done by team doc.

Nurses also kinda of insist that bb room in with me. I was quite upset coz i was real tired. But after a few days, I was thankful kkh had d policy for bb to room in with mothers. Coz my milk flow was really good. Thanks to the 3 hourly reminders from nurses during my 3 day stay there. They will diligently come to my bed n tell me to feed bb. So ... its really suffer first n enjoy later.

Main point is... baby is healthy. So if it's a once off incident, maybe we can attribute it to miscommunication. But must trust the Gynae. I trust prof tee's skills. So even if he doesn't talk much, he can answer my qns n his judgements are accurate, I still stick with him. All the best to u and your wife!

Prof Tee delivered both my gals in jun10 and Oct13.

His appt are always very short n he's a man of few words. Comparing 2013 to 2010, he's talking abit more.

My appts n scans are all fixed promptly. So have no complaints on this.

My 2nd delivery with him was chop chop, he came in and was out within 15 mins. Same like sunshine07, the midwife told me to stop pushing till prof tee came, but he came in on time to deliver my bb.

What I can't stand is the rooming in policy that kkh have now. I was staying in 4 bedded, so imagine the scenario of 4 crying babies n 4 mummies trying to hush babies.. total Nitemare! I had to tell the nurse that I'm dozing off n can't take care of bb n insisted she push bb back to nursery. They will write a remark mummy wants to sleep on the record. I have a nurse in blue uniform keep on trying to catch me without bb at my bed n will call for the bb to be send over if she sees me alone. Back in 2010, rooming in is only allowed for single warded. I was in 4 bedded n could rest well before I go home for confinement.

Am expecting my no.3 now and wondering if I shd change gynae n hospital. I would still like to see prof tee but staying at kkh puts me off due to rooming in policy.

Hi I would like to recommend to all the mummy's that NUH has the best nurses and services for gynae I mean including right from consultation appointments to delivery everything is so caring and professional. When I just started my doc appointments with Nuh all my office colleagues used to force me to go kkh instead I am very happy that I went with my own decision and didn't listen to nagging people around me.

Back