Cat Grooming

Hi Karen, I have read in a few pregnancy books that cat faeces contains bacteria harmful to baby. The books suggest to avoid cleaning the litter box for the cat in case of contact with the cat's faeces.
To be safe, why not just groom/pat/play with your cat and avoid kissing it? Since cat groom themselves (cat's saliva) all over, chances are they might lick the parts near thier rear.
Just a suggestion :)

hi karen actually why they recommend of not clean the litter bin due to the faeces is due to this:

Toxoplasmosis is an infection you can get from a microscopic parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. Although the infection generally causes a mild, symptomless illness in people with healthy immune systems, it's risky during pregnancy because the parasite may infect the placenta and your unborn baby.Felines are a natural host for the parasite, and it reproduces in their intestines. A cat may become infected with toxoplasmosis from eating infected prey or undercooked meat, or by drinking unpasteurized milk or contaminated water.

if your cat is not new in your family, has always been an indoor cat etc usually there is nothing to worry.
i have 2 kids and this is the 3rd. my cat has always been an indoor cat and has been with me for the past 15 years and when i was expecting my first, i had done a test, for my cat to see if she is infected toxoplasma just to be sure as she was a stray cat as a kitten.

this is just my personal option to take the test. speak to your doc if you have any concerns on your pet:) my family member was worried about the fur and the saliva that may pose reaction to the baby... but my 2 girls has always been around my cat since birth for the past 6 & 9 years. no respiratory issue or allergic issue.

salivia / fur shouldn't affect you during pregnancy if this is not your new pet.

My cat was previously stray. I adopted him since Nov 2013. I never let him out unless vet visits. I will seek opinion from the gynae and whether I need to do a test.

Thank you.

Back