IVF with KKH (Dr Matthew Lau)

U are welcome. Since u can do iui,yr chances for ivf may be higher :)
1)private hospitals ivf is ard 14k. After medisave $6K. U pay ard $8k cash from pocket
2) govt hospital i think is ard $10k. After medisave n co funding, u maybe pay a few hundred - 1k.
But this is not a real estimate. Actual $ depends on amt of medication needed for simulation
Hope i am correct on e subsidised portion cos i not at that stage yet. This is wat i gathered from e forum here :)

Thank you once again Connie! Ok now i have a rough idea of the costs between private & govt... That is indeed a huge amt difference... Hope it will all be a good fruitful IVF jourmey! :)

Connie_hopeful has explained much clearer. Thanks! :)

KW, if u want subsidized rates for the pre-ivf consultations and tests, you need to get a referral from the polyclinic. A letter from a private doc can't get u subsidized rates.
Mosburger, thanks to you n other sisters for yr advises too! I benefited from much info on the forum. So if i can help on wat i know,i will input. 2molo i seeing dr lau to review e pre ivf test,dunno wat he will say on e sis scan..scared esp when go alone without hubby to receive the verdict :eek: i am not confident of e result as radiologist seem to have spotted somethg. My hubby says see wat e dpc says first,dun scare yrself. Anyway,gonna be brave..cross fingers..

Mosburger, thanks to you n other sisters for yr advises too! I benefited from much info on the forum. So if i can help on wat i know,i will input. 2molo i seeing dr lau to review e pre ivf test,dunno wat he will say on e sis scan..scared esp when go alone without hubby to receive the verdict :eek: i am not confident of e result as radiologist seem to have spotted somethg. My hubby says see wat e dpc says first,dun scare yrself. Anyway,gonna be brave..cross fingers..

Connie, may i know what exactly is a 'pre'-ivf test? Isit a test to determine if one is qualified for the actual IVF?
Anyway u dun think too much ya! Dun scare yaself. Hope everything will be fine!!!

Connie, may i know what exactly is a 'pre'-ivf test? Isit a test to determine if one is qualified for the actual IVF?
Anyway u dun think too much ya! Dun scare yaself. Hope everything will be fine!!!
Thks,hope so.

her:
1) full blood count bloodtest
2) amh n some hormone bloodtest
3) Dr ordered a saline sis scan for me too (some ladies dun need this)
3) hiv n rubella screening bloodtest (6 mth validity)

Him:
1) sa test
2) Hiv n rubella screening test(6mth validity)
Above are basic test. Some centres offer further test that they deem necessary to dwell into e root of some problems.

Hi Connie thanks for sharing... Wish ya all the best in this cycle.. Btw do u know anything about the temple egg thingy?
Hi precious beanie, I went thru ivf with dr lau n recently delivered. So rest assured with dr lau.
As for the temple egg thingy, I will be returning some eggs to the temple next week. If u are keen, I can pm u on that day n u can go to the temple to get the eggs. Jia you ladies

Thks,hope so.

her:
1) full blood count bloodtest
2) amh n some hormone bloodtest
3) Dr ordered a saline sis scan for me too (some ladies dun need this)
3) hiv n rubella screening bloodtest (6 mth validity)

Him:
1) sa test
2) Hiv n rubella screening test(6mth validity)
Above are basic test. Some centres offer further test that they deem necessary to dwell into e root of some problems.
I would like to add on. My tests also include blood tests on specific days of my cycle to check for whether ovulation occurred. It helped to determine irregular ovulation, one of the symptoms of PCOS. This sort of blood tests took up at least 2 cycles for me. It was ordered after failing IUI. Another test was an extensive scan from down there and abdomen.

Hi precious beanie, I went thru ivf with dr lau n recently delivered. So rest assured with dr lau.
As for the temple egg thingy, I will be returning some eggs to the temple next week. If u are keen, I can pm u on that day n u can go to the temple to get the eggs. Jia you ladies
Hi niece, did u have Dr. Lau deliver for u? Nobody discusses his delivery skills. How is his stitching? Is he pro-natural birth and breast-feeding after delivery?

Ok to share ur birth story?

Hi niece, did u have Dr. Lau deliver for u? Nobody discusses his delivery skills. How is his stitching? Is he pro-natural birth and breast-feeding after delivery?

Ok to share ur birth story?
Hi mosburger n other sisters. Dr lau is pro breast feeding. He came to see me the next day n was asking me if I'm breast feeding. N told me at least 6 mths ok.

As for delivery, I opt for c sect although he was trying to tell me the pros n cons of c sect n natural was better. But I insisted on c sect. The incisional wound according to the ward nurse when they did the dressing, she commented the incisional wound is very nice. The next day I didn't feel much pain n was walking ard slowly in the ward. Rest assured to those under him.

thanks niece! his advice to me is to go for c-sect as my 1st too but not by him as i need to choose c-class due to girl has to stay in nicu. my wound now is slightly raised and gets itchy quite often hence i was hoping for my 2nd i can do vbac. i'm glad he is pro-bf-ing!

Hi mosburger n other sisters. Dr lau is pro breast feeding. He came to see me the next day n was asking me if I'm breast feeding. N told me at least 6 mths ok.

As for delivery, I opt for c sect although he was trying to tell me the pros n cons of c sect n natural was better. But I insisted on c sect. The incisional wound according to the ward nurse when they did the dressing, she commented the incisional wound is very nice. The next day I didn't feel much pain n was walking ard slowly in the ward. Rest assured to those under him.
Niece, thanks for the info. That's reassuring! :)

Congratz on ur delivery and have a good recovery! :)

thanks niece! his advice to me is to go for c-sect as my 1st too but not by him as i need to choose c-class due to girl has to stay in nicu. my wound now is slightly raised and gets itchy quite often hence i was hoping for my 2nd i can do vbac. i'm glad he is pro-bf-ing!
Chevynox, just curious. Ivf babies are covered by the Great Eastern neonatal insurance. Is the coverage not enough for staying in nicu?

Hi Niece, Congrats on ur delivery!! Speed recovery & enjoy ur baby-mommy bonding time!

Thanks, I really appreciate that me & the rest of the ladies who are still trying can get some of ur baby dust.... ;) so looking forward to the day to come too! If u don't mind can u PM me a few days in advance on the day that u r going? Coz I'm doing shift wk so need to arrange for it if it's possible. Thanks ;)

Btw can I ask previously did u also take someone else egg too? How was the procedure like in the temple to pray & ask for the egg?

Thanks!

Mosburger, yes they are covered but I believe until a certain amt? the nicu charges are tied to mommy's choice of ward so the better, the higher the costs. although thru their financial advice, the whole stay under c-class nicu charge wld cost ard $20k for abt 44days. if i remembered correctly, the insurance payout was sufficient :)

Hi Niece, Congrats on ur delivery!! Speed recovery & enjoy ur baby-mommy bonding time!

Thanks, I really appreciate that me & the rest of the ladies who are still trying can get some of ur baby dust.... ;) so looking forward to the day to come too! If u don't mind can u PM me a few days in advance on the day that u r going? Coz I'm doing shift wk so need to arrange for it if it's possible. Thanks ;)

Btw can I ask previously did u also take someone else egg too? How was the procedure like in the temple to pray & ask for the egg?

Thanks!
PreciousBeanie yes previous I took eggs from someone who left the eggs there. Just happen there were eggs so the temple auntie told me to take. We took two eggs. One for hubby n another for myself. We took n ate the eggs. But once u had taken eggs from there once baby done with full mth u need to return some eggs back to the temple

Hi All

I'm a newbie here! Anyone here going for IVF anytime soon at KKH?

Hi KW,

I will be starting my 1st IVF fresh cycle with Dr Matthew Lau this month.

Can't believe it's finally happening. I have started to induce my menses as of yesterday and my AF is due on 15 Sept.

Do any of you ladies have any advise on what brand of milk i should be take ? Ensure ? Similac ?

PreciousBeanie yes previous I took eggs from someone who left the eggs there. Just happen there were eggs so the temple auntie told me to take. We took two eggs. One for hubby n another for myself. We took n ate the eggs. But once u had taken eggs from there once baby done with full mth u need to return some eggs back to the temple

Niece, so that time u pray Zhu Sheng niang niang first then u take the egg n in at temple? Did u pray other gods that are at the temple first then pray at Zhu Sheng Niang Niang there? which temple u when to?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi KW,

I will be starting my 1st IVF fresh cycle with Dr Matthew Lau this month.

Can't believe it's finally happening. I have started to induce my menses as of yesterday and my AF is due on 15 Sept.

Do any of you ladies have any advise on what brand of milk i should be take ? Ensure ? Similac ?

Hi @Yim Junior League ( YJL )

I went to polyclinic yesterday(3rd Sept,Wed) and got a referral letter for KKH(1st appt!) on 8th Sept, Mon! I can't wait!... Just nice that's during my ovulation period..But I understand, since it'll be my 1st apt at KKH, they will probably make me n hub go through some tests before we reach to the IVF stage..
May I know did u get referred by Polyclinic? If yes, how long has it been from your 1st appt at KKH till its time for your IVF(finally!)?

Mosburger, yes they are covered but I believe until a certain amt? the nicu charges are tied to mommy's choice of ward so the better, the higher the costs. although thru their financial advice, the whole stay under c-class nicu charge wld cost ard $20k for abt 44days. if i remembered correctly, the insurance payout was sufficient :)
Chevynox, I hope both u and ur baby are ok now. Is it ok to share why ur baby had to stay in nicu for so long?

Hi
What is the great eastern neonatal scheme? Is it applicable from the moment the child is born? I called great eastern up and they said that they don't cover newborns. Child must be 2 weeks old before can apply.

So far, only the hospitals can offer the Great Eastern Neonatal Insurance for IVF babies..The couple will sign up the insurance w the hospital just before the embryo transfer. It is like a hospitalisation shield plan for newborn babies

Just adding on.

Great Eastern neonatal insurance is a policy that is handled by the hospital only, cannot be represented by insurance agents. The GE plan covers ivf baby(s) only, mother not included. Other maternity insurance covers both pregnant mummy and baby. The maternity insurance can be transferred from mother to baby when baby is born.

Chevynox, I hope both u and ur baby are ok now. Is it ok to share why ur baby had to stay in nicu for so long?

Mosburger, I had e-csect @ 32wks as i was having contractions n bb was in distressed. She was delivered rather small (@ 1.2kg) for her gestational age and hence need to be kept under observation. That period was rather taxing for both dh & me. Thankfully, her progress was steady and got discharged after 44days of stay.
Thanks for asking! My girl is going well but still on the smaller side though. As long as she is healthy, eating well & happy, I am satisfied.

Are you in your 1st trim now?

Mosburger, I had e-csect @ 32wks as i was having contractions n bb was in distressed. She was delivered rather small (@ 1.2kg) for her gestational age and hence need to be kept under observation. That period was rather taxing for both dh & me. Thankfully, her progress was steady and got discharged after 44days of stay.
Thanks for asking! My girl is going well but still on the smaller side though. As long as she is healthy, eating well & happy, I am satisfied.

Hi chevynox, thanks for sharing. Happy to hear that ur girl is well and healthy now. That's such a relief! :D I'm sure she will grow bigger and stronger with love and tender care from u and ur dh. :)

I'm in early second trimester now. Still very bad ms. Hoping the ms period will pass. :p

Hi chevynox, gd to hear ur bb girl is growing healthy.. Don't worry too much about being small size coz as they as the kids are eating active n growing they will be fine.. Jiayou!

Take care!!

Mosburger, I'm sure it will pass soon! As the saying goes, bad ms means a stable pregnancy! Have small & frequent meals where possible. Drink milk, take supplements as from 2nd term, bb growth will be more pronounced and dependent on what we eat :) But hor, I still give in to junk & fast food :p

Take care & enjoy your pregnancy ;)

PreciousBeanie, Thanks! Which stage are you at now?

Eat egg whites-hard boil type.

U got how many follicle count now?wat are the sizes n when is yr trigger show scheduled? Are u with dr matthew lau?

Another important thg is try to stay relax during this period so tt e eggs can grow better..good luck

Last edited:
I'm trying last cycle of clomid. Got a few eggs but all are small now.. If by fri none of the egg shows sign of growing then need to abort the whole cycle.... Thanks Connie... I really hope at least 1-2 eggs grow....

Hello gals,can i check if ivf at kkh is under GA ma?as in you are injected somethg into yr hand,put on a mask n go to sleep?

e gals at icsi/ivf support group mentioned kkivf is not ga...,but u are actuali semi conscious n can hear e voices of happenings going on..anyone can share if this is true? As in u are somehow conscious during e proc? N somethg will be inserted into yr throat?

Hello gals,can i check if ivf at kkh is under GA ma?as in you are injected somethg into yr hand,put on a mask n go to sleep?

e gals at icsi/ivf support group mentioned kkivf is not ga...,but u are actuali semi conscious n can hear e voices of happenings going on..anyone can share if this is true? As in u are somehow conscious during e proc? N somethg will be inserted into yr throat?
It's under sedation but I knocked out throughout the procedure.

Dun think it was GA but sedation. ER after knock-out then wake up took abt 20 min for me. I was immediately concussed the moment the drug was inserted into the tube in my hand. I didn't feel anything until I woke up. Nothing was inserted into my throat. I think only if u cannot breathe on ur own, then a tube will be inserted. Otherwise, there's no need.

If u have family members who have history of not being totally knocked out during surgery, better inform ur doc beforehand. I rem my dad had a surgery under GA but he was just numbed and remained conscious. He heard the docs counting the stitches and giving instructions for cutting and sewing. Scary!

Last edited:
Connie_hopeful, I found a table for your reference: http://www.sgna.org/issues/sedationfactsorg/sedationadministration/sedationlevels.aspx

In essence, both general anesthesia and sedation aims to relax the patient and relieves him/her of pain during a painful procedure. However GA is the full deal of being unconscious and u get intubated coz u won't be able to breathe on ur own. GA is usually used in surgeries of long duration so that doctors dun have to handle emergencies of patients stop breathing on their own.

Can u imagine the doctors having to deal with a patient who suddenly wakes up from deep sedation in the middle of a heart surgery, or stops breathing? They won't be able to focus on the patient's heart.

My husband and I only take fish at most once a week. Ate a lot of fruits and vege everyday and cut down on meat, esp red meat. Also cut down on yong tau foo and soya bean. Took a lot of egg whites.

We exercised more regularly. I did more yoga breathing exercises on my own. I cut down on jogging to reduce impact to womb, swam more.

I started drinking more milk, took folic acid and pre-natal supplements. My husband took supplements like acidophilus, milk thistles, vit C, vit B2 and those that promote prostate health.

For ur reference. Other ladies may do things differently.

Back