40 and above pregnant club

PTB7674

let me start the ball rolling

i just turned 40 and got pregnant recently with my 2nd child ( i guess it is my birthday staycation that got me into this stage !!) ... am in my 8th weeks and my MS is killing me ... it is much worst than my 1st ... whatever food that go in feel like coming but if i dun eat i will nausea ...it is neither this nor that ... and my taste bud is soo bitter ... my gosh ... cant wait to pass the 12th weeks so that i can start enjoying being pregnant again

Hi PTB, saw this earlier post of yours!

Looks like we have a few things in common and thought wud be gd to be in touch! When is your edd and you mentioned you knew the gender already? :)

Are you SAHM or working? I'm torn between focusing on career or family now...

Hi PTB, we on the same boat i am on my 10th weeks and its really difficult for me nowadays with all the throwing up, smells of food, etc ... I cannot even go out for it makes me sick, i am currently a housewife so i dont know how working mom do it when they are pregnant coz it really feels terrible.. But in a good side we are nurturing a baby inside so not a bad thing:)

Hi PTB, saw this earlier post of yours!
Looks like we have a few things in common and thought wud be gd to be in touch! When is your edd and you mentioned you knew the gender already? :)
Are you SAHM or working? I'm torn between focusing on career or family now...

my EDD is 11 Jan 2015 . and yes harmony test revealed the gender at 12 wks (14wks when i got the result) lolz
i am a FTWM ...i wont say i focus on career but more like working to contribute to the family...i feel that in singapore it is hard to survive on 1 income unless that income is really high at the upper cap lolz

Hi PTB, we on the same boat i am on my 10th weeks and its really difficult for me nowadays with all the throwing up, smells of food, etc ... I cannot even go out for it makes me sick, i am currently a housewife so i dont know how working mom do it when they are pregnant coz it really feels terrible.. But in a good side we are nurturing a baby inside so not a bad thing:)
during my 1st trim i hardly go out except work... my poor #1 hardly any weekend activities hence result in less photos during that period lolz but now better already am trying to make up for the "loss" time and photo for #1
during work i try to eat simple plain food ..and avoid business lunch.. so still manageable lolz

Hi All, it is very nice to se this thread as mums-to-be have different set of challenges being pregnant at this age. I am 39 this year, pregnant for 11 weeks now and EDD to be March 2015 (when I am 40). I am a working mum-to-be, have not suffered severe MS (morning sickness) but have my fair share or nausea, lethargy, bloatedness (bad), acid-reflux, constant hunger, dizziness, headaches, sour tongue, body aches, heatiness (did i mention not severe earlier? :p). I am just waiting to end my first trimester before I start working out (as advised). I do have my fair share of worries what with being pregnant at this age but I am trying to be positive. We still need dual income so looks like I have to carry-on working. I am looking for mums-to-be in this age group who may want to work out together or share experience. I stay in the east :)

Hi All, it is very nice to se this thread as mums-to-be have different set of challenges being pregnant at this age. I am 39 this year, pregnant for 11 weeks now and EDD to be March 2015 (when I am 40). I am a working mum-to-be, have not suffered severe MS (morning sickness) but have my fair share or nausea, lethargy, bloatedness (bad), acid-reflux, constant hunger, dizziness, headaches, sour tongue, body aches, heatiness (did i mention not severe earlier? :p). I am just waiting to end my first trimester before I start working out (as advised). I do have my fair share of worries what with being pregnant at this age but I am trying to be positive. We still need dual income so looks like I have to carry-on working. I am looking for mums-to-be in this age group who may want to work out together or share experience. I stay in the east :)

Hi BIM, kinda glad to hear another mum to be who has 'severe' symptoms lols..I had all your symptoms except body aches. Juzz hate that extra spit in d mouth, super disgusting tasting

I might lose my 'career' soon because the institution I work for demands high performance all the time...the kpi is such that can only 'fail' one month out of 12 months lols. Hubby thinks the business is not sustainable..

Hey I stay in d east too! Yippee can work out together!!

Good to see this thread. I am 39 and turning 40 in few months time, same as most of you, just found out am pregnant with my 2nd child. I should be in my 6th week, seeing gynae next week. Not much appettite so been eating smaller but frequent meals. No really sleeping well and feeling tired during mid day. Am a FTWM and my mood is terrible.

Hi all, me too. 40 & having our 2nd bb after 6yrs.

I totally din exp any ms during my 1st preg. But this time, ms is the thing that triggered me to take the preg test. Have been having cramps, bloated tummy, queasiness, lethargy & dizziness.

But of course, after waiting for 6 long yrs for this 2nd bb, everything is worth it :) I only hope bb is healthy & strong.

Good to see this thread. I am 39 and turning 40 in few months time, same as most of you, just found out am pregnant with my 2nd child. I should be in my 6th week, seeing gynae next week. Not much appettite so been eating smaller but frequent meals. No really sleeping well and feeling tired during mid day. Am a FTWM and my mood is terrible.

My mood this time round is worse although the ms is less severe lols

This morning juz lashed out at my Hubs be coz I thot he din get the right nasi lemak for mi lols..ok more seriously I think for me it's got to do with stress..the possibility that i might hv to quit my work which I'm quite unwillingly. I've been in same field for > 15 years..sighh

My mood this time round is worse although the ms is less severe lols

This morning juz lashed out at my Hubs be coz I thot he din get the right nasi lemak for mi lols..ok more seriously I think for me it's got to do with stress..the possibility that i might hv to quit my work which I'm quite unwillingly. I've been in same field for > 15 years..sighh
poor hubby lolz ...

for me to quit job is not an option cos simply not possible to survive on 1 income

poor hubby lolz ...

for me to quit job is not an option cos simply not possible to survive on 1 income

So for your 2nd one, planning to send to infant care or relatives to take care? I've no relatives to entrust, parents r old (& foolish :p) and in laws aren't well..

So for your 2nd one, planning to send to infant care or relatives to take care? I've no relatives to entrust, parents r old (& foolish :p) and in laws aren't well..
i am toying with idea of a maid but that maid will go to my mom place everyday with the 2nd one lolz since my #1 is at my mom place everyday and we will pick both of them up in the evening ... i will not let the maid stay at home alone with #2 ... it is either that or infant care ...

Same issue, have to reconsider getting a maid again. Juz when I tot I can do w/o since my elder gal is old enough. We juz had enough of my ex-maid rubbish & sent her back last yr.
Although my inlaws r helping us but they r getting old too. & they will likely request for another maid again... sigh
I don't mind if the maid behaves well but... really tough to get a good maid nowadays.

I'm quite lucky that my current helper seems mild mannered, my naughty boy bullies her in fact..but who knows?..sometimes I go to work worried that one day my helper ki siao n murder my boy lololos..

But helper doesn't solve my issue. We stay far from my inlaws..the elder one goes to kindy in our area..arggh

I am trying to control my mood especially at work... so many things people push to me, short of me losing my temper at them. Running a project now which is in critical period with everything slipping. My 2nd bb too but is after 10 years... was giving up but suddenly got.. really a blessing from God.
As for caregiving, I am not sure yet as I have not break out this news to anyone else except hubby. Currently my #1 is taken care by my mum but she is getting on years too and not sure can she help. I do not like the idea of maid and hubby suggesting me to quit my job to care for #2, I wonder can I survive. Still not giving a deep thought about this problem yet.

Got no motivation to go to work at all everyday... sigh... I am staying at the east side too. By the way, now I still continue with my exercise class (aerobics, zumba and body scrupting), but I will not chiong so much in the class... Is it advisable? I saw in some article which mention some form of exercise is good.

I am trying to control my mood especially at work... so many things people push to me, short of me losing my temper at them. Running a project now which is in critical period with everything slipping. My 2nd bb too but is after 10 years... was giving up but suddenly got.. really a blessing from God.
As for caregiving, I am not sure yet as I have not break out this news to anyone else except hubby. Currently my #1 is taken care by my mum but she is getting on years too and not sure can she help. I do not like the idea of maid and hubby suggesting me to quit my job to care for #2, I wonder can I survive. Still not giving a deep thought about this problem yet.
Hang in there! I understand the stress to have to deliver against the headwinds..Are you a Christian too? During challenging moments, i pray to remember the fruits of the Holy Spirit; Joy, Love, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Goodness, Self control and Faithfulness. It helps me to detach from those emotional moments and realign myself once again. Partly, i was worried my emotions will affect the foetus lols and affect it adversely in any way lol..

Gd to keep up with some amount of exercises for sure! Keeps the heart pumping and circulation going and all..I'm too lazy lols

When are all your EDD? Mine should be end April 15. Seeing my gynae tomorrow morning for 1st time... Yesterday night in my sleep got terrible aborminal crump.

Mine in march..but I'm going for elective csection..don't want to torture this old body some more by going for natural lols..
Elective csection meaning is only numb from waist down? Whether to go for natural or csection, I guess is still early for me to decide. My main concern now the wellness of the baby. Being under the high risk category and hubby also with diabetic, high blood and high cholestrol condition, I have been praying hard for a strong and healthy baby.

Elective csection meaning is only numb from waist down? Whether to go for natural or csection, I guess is still early for me to decide. My main concern now the wellness of the baby. Being under the high risk category and hubby also with diabetic, high blood and high cholestrol condition, I have been praying hard for a strong and healthy baby.
You are the child bearer .. Your health is more important

Last edited:

Elective as opposed to emergency csection ie we choose to schedule for one. Whether General Anasthesia (GA) - mummy totally knocked out or Local Anasthesia (LA), waist down numb..is your choice lols

My Hubs too high blood..Yeah you are the host body for the baby so to speak, most impt to take care of your body :)

I sometimes get heart palpitations n worry that my 'weak' heart can't take it lols..It's so impt to stay focused on being positive, optimistic and confident..

Elective as opposed to emergency csection ie we choose to schedule for one. Whether General Anasthesia (GA) - mummy totally knocked out or Local Anasthesia (LA), waist down numb..is your choice lols

My Hubs too high blood..Yeah you are the host body for the baby so to speak, most impt to take care of your body :)

I sometimes get heart palpitations n worry that my 'weak' heart can't take it lols..It's so impt to stay focused on being positive, optimistic and confident..
for me it is Elective C sect too cos my #1 is C sect ... given feedback from gynae on #1 born ... no chance for VABC for me lolz so dun waste time ...go straight for C sect ... for me i opt for GA cos i have backpain issue ...

PTB7674 & Kbear, thanks for the advice. Yes, the health of the child bearer which is me is important, am more careful with what I eat now. My #1 is emergency c-section, guess most probably high chance for me to end with c-section too. My baby is now 6 weeks and 4 days old, in the unstable stage, need to wait till at least pass 10 weeks then baby is more stable. Saw bb heartbeat today... excited...

PTB7674 & Kbear, thanks for the advice. Yes, the health of the child bearer which is me is important, am more careful with what I eat now. My #1 is emergency c-section, guess most probably high chance for me to end with c-section too. My baby is now 6 weeks and 4 days old, in the unstable stage, need to wait till at least pass 10 weeks then baby is more stable. Saw bb heartbeat today... excited...
depend on why u Emergency C sect for #1 some doc will allow u to try VBAC
well take care ...since u still in early stage

Congrats at seeing the heartbeat!! Gd start. :) My very first pregnancy before my boy became a m/c be coz no heartbeat at 6 weeks..

Now I'm excited to find out d gender of this 2nd one..keeping fingers cross

Congrats at seeing the heartbeat!! Gd start. :) My very first pregnancy before my boy became a m/c be coz no heartbeat at 6 weeks..

Now I'm excited to find out d gender of this 2nd one..keeping fingers cross
hear heartbeat but still must take care

you din do harmony ? it will reveal the gender lolz

PTB7674, good to know that I can still try for VBAC.
Kbear, sorry to hear that.. wow excited to know the gender... What do you hope for?

My gynae was explaining to me that I can either take the blood test (send to US for examination) or the extraction of fluid from water bag (around week 10 to 12) to check for whether baby has problem such as mongolia symdrone. Of course there are also other test/scan around 5th month on the baby. Are these the harmony or the tests you are referring to?

Kbear, sorry to hear that.. wow excited to know the gender... What do you hope for?

My gynae was explaining to me that I can either take the blood test (send to US for examination) or the extraction of fluid from water bag (around week 10 to 12) to check for whether baby has problem such as mongolia symdrone. Of course there are also other test/scan around 5th month on the baby. Are these the harmony or the tests you are referring to?
Harmony is the one that is sent to USA .. Non invasive blood test ..
5th month is the detailed scan see the growth and gender normally gynae won't recommend amnio test aka extract fluid from water bag unless all test result is not good cos there are risk of miscarriage

We already hv a boy..but my inlaws wud love another grandson I know lol

Well to be honest, I hv a rather bleak view of women's position / role in the world. This world is made for the men, suffice to say. Women have to perform stronger than the male counterpart to gain the same promotion..even the bible already states clearly that we were created and meant to 'help' the men...lols my long answer to why ultimately I wud prefer another boy..simply that this world is easier on men lol

But then again, I had a dream the other night, and it is a girl :p lols..

Well to be honest, I hv a rather bleak view of women's position / role in the world. This world is made for the men, suffice to say. Women have to perform stronger than the male counterpart to gain the same promotion..even the bible already states clearly that we were created and meant to 'help' the men...lols my long answer to why ultimately I wud prefer another boy..simply that this world is easier on men lol

The elder all prefer to boy to gal but it is beyond our control anything they want to blame if gal blame the man !! Lolz

For me #1 is boy and #2 is gal
Just nice 好

True... but woman will be loved and pamper and protected by man...

The elder all prefer to boy to gal but it is beyond our control anything they want to blame if gal blame the man !! Lolz

For me #1 is boy and #2 is gal
Just nice 好
That's good... at least the boy will stick to you and the gal will stick to papa... I heard my friends told me - opposite attracts

That's good... at least the boy will stick to you and the gal will stick to papa... I heard my friends told me - opposite attracts
izzt lolz ? no idea ...we will see lolz but i seriously doubt cos all children like to stick to my hubby cos my hubby is a big child

Harmony is the one that is sent to USA .. Non invasive blood test ..
5th month is the detailed scan see the growth and gender normally gynae won't recommend amnio test aka extract fluid from water bag unless all test result is not good cos there are risk of miscarriage
Thanks for the explanation. Now I know what test my gynae is talking about. So is the harmony and amino acid test... So for my case, I should go for harmony test first (result only back in 2 to 3 weeks time) before deciding what other test to go for. By the way, what is OSCAR test then? Any idea?

Thanks for the explanation. Now I know what test my gynae is talking about. So is the harmony and amino acid test... So for my case, I should go for harmony test first (result only back in 2 to 3 weeks time) before deciding what other test to go for. By the way, what is OSCAR test then? Any idea?

Harmony or Panorama can supercede Oscar which only tests the more basic chromosomal abnormalities namely DS..Some clinics increasingly recommend Panorama as it is apparently even higher in accuracy.

My gynae only offers Panorama n Oscar. I juz did the former and she said no need for latter. Cost wise is 1.5k whereas Oscar is $350. Think Harmony (sounds so nice n tranquil lol) is between 1.2k to 2k these days depending on doctors

oscar is the old test that used to test for D.S and other visible defect at 12wks .. currently it is still the test for most pple as not many pple willing to spend to send blood sample to usa unless their oscar is really bad ... oscar test has lower accuracy rate as compared to harmony so the choice is still yours ...

Harmony or Panorama can supercede Oscar which only tests the more basic chromosomal abnormalities namely DS..Some clinics increasingly recommend Panorama as it is apparently even higher in accuracy.

My gynae only offers Panorama n Oscar. I juz did the former and she said no need for latter. Cost wise is 1.5k whereas Oscar is $350. Think Harmony (sounds so nice n tranquil lol) is between 1.2k to 2k these days depending on doctors
accordingly the harmony thread...price has dropped to 850 only :D

wow... didn't know the test are so expensive.... not sure how much my gynae going to charge me for it. I find his price is not the cheap type... :( but I am comfortable with him. My 1st visit to him cost me $245 liao... consultation $125, obimin medi $15, scanning $85 and one more $20 don't know what (did both tummy ultrasound and virginal as from tummy ultrasound cannot see baby...

In term of check, can I say that to go for harmony blood test as the 1st test before going into others like amino if the harmony test result is not ideal?

In term of check, can I say that to go for harmony blood test as the 1st test before going into others like amino if the harmony test result is not ideal?
yes. harmony test is the 1st test to go for .
only if it is not ideal then amino

Back