HFMD HAND-foot-mouth diseases

My younger daughter had HFMD a second time this year.
Seeing her suffer my heart breaks.

Apart from drinking lots of water and ensure she completes the antiviral medication, are there anything else we can do?

Any receipe to share when children are down with HFMD?

My daughter loves to put her fingers or her blanket into her mouth to bite. I think I really need to break her habit on this too. Any thoughts?

Wonder why the scientists haven't found a vaccine on this.

Both my children and I contracted herpangina, which is a strain similar to HMFD except that there are no blisters on hand and feet. High fever and ulcers/blisters in mouth. It's an extremely stressful episode and I had high fever for 3 days and can barely swallow saliva.

I find these help during my ordeal:

1) drink ice cold water as it helps numb the pain, and the only painless way up put fluid in body

2) eat cold soya bean curd. My son was willing to eat this because it was sweet and cold

3) keep washing hands and make sure you practice proper hygiene

4) panadol helps to manage the pain

5) If children refuse to eat, put Ribena or 100plus in freezer and let the children drink to keep them hydrated

Correct me if I am wrong, but thought that chances of getting HFMD again is very very low or zero once got it before?

Can let your girl drink "Ling Yang" to cool the body heat down. Green bean soup is good on doing that too. How old is your girl? My girl got it few years back when she was slightly more that a year old. I really have no idea how she got it cause she was not in the child care yet and we did not go out that weekend also. My niece and nephew also did not got it despite they played together before that. So when PD asked me, I really have no answer for that..but PD said saliva is contagious so have to watch out for that.

Here are what I did when she got HFMD :

1. Let her drink Ling Yang beside water
2. Let her eat porridge as that was the easiest to swallow.
3. Bought the Dettol wipes to clean all her toys and including baby cot every day. Then after that cleaned again with a clean damp cloth.
4. Wiped the floor every day.
5. Wiped away her saliva every time

I suggest for those toys that can be wash, wash all of them to kill any germs/bacteria. This was what my mum do after my nephew got it few years later.

Back