any 35 and above trying for their first?

Hello all, glad to have found this thread. I am also above 35 n trying for a first bb..failed a first fresh in may.lets continue to motivate each other n jiayou.

Saw this quest on govt funding. Private has no govt co funding.but can use yr cpf for a bit of yr ivf payment. Have to go hospital like kkh n nuh to get e govt co funding on top of cpf payment.
Eg: private ivf total cost if its $15k. U can use $6k(can be fr yrs or husband cpf acct). Balance $9k u have to pay cash.
If u go hospital like kkh n nuh, there is another govt co funding of $5-6k I think. this is on top of cpf claim.so u pay $3-4k cash. But I think normally in hospital the bill is ard $10-12k in total, so u only pay a few hundred dollars compared to private like say $8k to $9k.
Hospital can have co funding for frozen fet also.private has no govt co funding for frozen.

Last edited:

Thank you Connie. I browsed MOH's website yesterday, ya, no gov co-funding for private.

The only good point to see private doctor is "save time". I did registration at KKH, but I have been scheduled 2mths later, also need to attend a IVF briefing.

Hi frenchBulldog lover, bss my last experience, my 1st payment was about 2k for 4 days of injection. After that every visit cost is abt same, depending on how many injects we take. The medisave is use when we go for ER, the hospital admission counter will let us sign the medisave form. For gov co funding, I m not sure as mine is private.

Hi DTAL, I have started 3 jabs per night for 3 days. Last scan, doctor said my eggs size not big enough, have to increase to Puregon 425; orgalutron; Menopur 150. Arrr.... After 3 jabs I felt so bloated. :( I started to question myself, did I make the right decision? We have been DINK family for almost 16years,seems everything is fine, why should I ........Sigh....

The price is same as yours, every visit $2k plus. Mine is only 3 days for $2k++. Lucky Dr.loh is very nice, very experienced, worth the money to see him.

I think ttc is a demanding journey especially when we have to be put through ART. I married at 39. I didn't want kids (l appreciate our freedom with no kid commitment). But hubby went crazy one day and said let's have one. Haa.

Whether will we be blessed with one, we'll see i guess. We have come to a common consensus that this is our last fresh. If we have snowbies, then do FET. Else, we will stop here and let whatever nature takes it course.

this is a silly ques but how do u gals make soft boil eggs? mine is either undercooked with translucent egg whites, or overcooked with almost solid whites.
how does eggs affect med?

redvel: all the best to u!

Thanks lovebaby and sunbelle.

lovebaby, there are halfboiled egg makers out there... but I find it a waste of time and waste of space :p.

I used a metal cup with metal cap like the pic. Or use a small metal pot. When water boils, rince the cup to get the metal hot first. Then put your eggs in follow by the boiling water. Fill up maybe left one inch from the brim. Let it sit 6 mins. Yes use a timer. For me 6mins is just nice. Anything lesser I will puke as too runny. But if 7mins then too cooked alread.

resize_images.php

i see.. i use a metal bowl to boil water. then after boiling, i off the gas and i put the 2 eggs in it for 5-6 min using the same metal bowl.
maybe this will be too hot for the eggs? the eggs are not even and nice like Ya Kuns... and i store my eggs in fridge. i only thaw it the night before.

maybe this also affects the result.

I tried that method before. Always ends up too cooked on the outter part of the whites. Seems the method I use now can cook more evenly.

Hi DTAL, I have started 3 jabs per night for 3 days. Last scan, doctor said my eggs size not big enough, have to increase to Puregon 425; orgalutron; Menopur 150. Arrr.... After 3 jabs I felt so bloated. :( I started to question myself, did I make the right decision? We have been DINK family for almost 16years,seems everything is fine, why should I ........Sigh....

The price is same as yours, every visit $2k plus. Mine is only 3 days for $2k++. Lucky Dr.loh is very nice, very experienced, worth the money to see him.

Hi FrenchBulldogLover, my scan today showed less than 10 eggs, size varies..Dr said 2-3 growing quite fast while e rest r slower..
Need continue same injections for another 4 days then next scan.
Btw, What is DINK?
Me n my hubby also never thought of having kids before, we only changed mind end 2012. Ttc naturally for about 1 year before taking this ivf journey.
Since we already started, we go all the way ya. Don't look back Liao. ;)

Hello all, glad to have found this thread. I am also above 35 n trying for a first bb..failed a first fresh in may.lets continue to motivate each other n jiayou.

Saw this quest on govt funding. Private has no govt co funding.but can use yr cpf for a bit of yr ivf payment. Have to go hospital like kkh n nuh to get e govt co funding on top of cpf payment.
Eg: private ivf total cost if its $15k. U can use $6k(can be fr yrs or husband cpf acct). Balance $9k u have to pay cash.
If u go hospital like kkh n nuh, there is another govt co funding of $5-6k I think. this is on top of cpf claim.so u pay $3-4k cash. But I think normally in hospital the bill is ard $10-12k in total, so u only pay a few hundred dollars compared to private like say $8k to $9k.
Hospital can have co funding for frozen fet also.private has no govt co funding for frozen.

Thank you, connie_hopeful. :)

Ah... DINK... Hee Hee...

Thanks ya. Think I better call my dr to ask him about the egg whites. I m taking Gonal, menopur n sulptex.

Ladies jus share with u all one tin known as the egg setter. It can help u to have half boiled eggs at the right consistency.

Finished a major work assignment . Time to concentrate TCC

Hi DTAL, I'm doing good! Oh my 2nd fresh wasn't a success though. Went for BT 2 days ago..but I have 5 frosties and will do FET later in the year. I think I didn't mention in this thread but the other.

Biggest at 17 means really soon for ER! Good luck and hope the others catch up well.

Hi Redvel, 5 to freeze r great. Btw, frosties r blast? Sorry last round I have nothing to freeze so not sure abt frosties. FET needs rest for how long then can do?

Yup yup, hope e rest catch up the leader soon. Thanks ya.

Frosties are basically frozen embies. Can be any day embie or blast. My 5 are all day 2. I don't know what's best for my case... whether to thaw and transfer some at day2 or thaw some to culture to blast. So I shall discuss with my doc on 2Sep. I read it's good to rest 2-3months. Actually I don't mine to do in Jan but someone shared that endo scratch which I've done recently can last 3 months. So I see how first la, after discussion with doc.

@hopenfaith @FrenchBulldog Lover @redvel -hi, how are you gals doing?

@baby_sparkles - u started on your cycle already?

I had my third scan today. Still not many numbers... Biggest one at 17 n rest r 14-12..
Gynae said estradiol n lining looks good. ER should be next wed.
Anyone same as mine?
Hi DTAL, I had my 3rd scan this morning, sigh..... Biggest is only 15. The rest 11-13. Dr gave me one more day of Puregon 425; orgalutron and Menopur 150. Tomorrow night will do the trigger jab and ER on Tuesday morning.

Hi DTAL, I had my 3rd scan this morning, sigh..... Biggest is only 15. The rest 11-13. Dr gave me one more day of Puregon 425; orgalutron and Menopur 150. Tomorrow night will do the trigger jab and ER on Tuesday morning.
Yo,dun worry too much first. E eggs will grow by 2mm per day,so u may still have time before er. Keep a positive n happy mind n maybi eggy will grow better,jiayou! It only takes a good 1 to strike..i have 14 retrieved during my previous fresh also never strike..

Hi FrenchBulldogLover, my trigger will be on Monday night. ER wed morning, so we just one day apart.

I kept telling myself that the rest will catch up, got to stay positive. U too k? We will be good ;)
Btw, U gg for blast?

DTAL and frenchielover, this is not your first ivf right? I'm also keen to know if you both are trying blasto or if the last round you did blasto or not.

Blast/blasto = Blastocyst.
It's usually a day 5-6 embie which is more ready to implant. The lab can culture your fertilised egg to a blasto, at a fee. But then, there's risk as not all embies can be successfully cultured to a day 5. Some may arrest before that and you may end up with nothing for transfer. Some people believe an earlier transfer is better because our womb is its natural habitat. But some believe if an embie can't even be cultured to day 5 in the lab, likely it won't survive even if put into our womb on day 2-3.

A lot a lot of controversy. But your doc should be able to advice best because to culture to blasto or not also depends on one's age, number of eggs retrieved/fertilised, condition of the embies etc.

My first fresh was blasto. 2nd fresh is day 2.

I see~~~~. Now I understand liao.

Nurse today told me that normally Dr. Loh doesn't do 5-days de, he prefer 2days. That means 5-day one called blastocyst. I guess I will go for 2days ba.

Actually I think if i were to culture my 2nd fresh leftovers to blasto, sure pong zek. High risk won't have any left to freeze. My first fresh I had 12 fertilised all put to blasto culture but only left 2 to transfer. But statistically for my age group, blasto has better success rate.

Actually I think if i were to culture my 2nd fresh leftovers to blasto, sure pong zek. High risk won't have any left to freeze. My first fresh I had 12 fertilised all put to blasto culture but only left 2 to transfer. But statistically for my age group, blasto has better success rate.

But what if we are wrong n it actually survive better in womb than lab? Won't it be wasting embbies? I ask embryologist before and two of them told me womb is better cos no matter how perfect is the lab it cannot mimick the most natural environment.

I also heard of story that embbies put in lab and dying one by one and dr immediately order for transfer for the remaining embby and the girl actually BFP.

DTAL and frenchielover, this is not your first ivf right? I'm also keen to know if you both are trying blasto or if the last round you did blasto or not.

This is my 2nd. My first I retrieved 5, 4 fertilized. But only 2 made to blast n were transferred to me. The other 3 arrested on day 5 before reaching blast. So nothing to freeze. :(

This time dr gg for blast too. I didn't ask why he choose blast though. Guess he knows what's good for me so I just follow his advice.

But what if we are wrong n it actually survive better in womb than lab? Won't it be wasting embbies? I ask embryologist before and two of them told me womb is better cos no matter how perfect is the lab it cannot mimick the most natural environment.

I also heard of story that embbies put in lab and dying one by one and dr immediately order for transfer for the remaining embby and the girl actually BFP.

That's precisely what I mentioned. It's a controversy. Every doc will have their opinions on this. And there will always be what-ifs.

My sis had 3 transfers. First two were earlier day. Didn't happen good. The last she succeeded was blasto.

For me both blasto and day 2 didn't work so far. Maybe I should try day 3. Lol try a new number.

To me, ivf is not one size fits all. What works for another may not be for me. And docs are not god lor. They can only try different concoctions after each failed cycle, until we hit the right jackpot hopefully.

Based on today scan, got one leader at size 17 n about 7 average one btw size10-14. Now only hoping all these 8 will continue grow well till ER.
Gynae n myself were expecting more than 10 this time cos increase dostage n add one more jap. But results not as good as expected.
How about yours, Redvel? U managed to retrieve many?

That's precisely what I mentioned. It's a controversy. Every doc will have their opinions on this. And there will always be what-ifs.

My sis had 3 transfers. First two were earlier day. Didn't happen good. The last she succeeded was blasto.

For me both blasto and day 2 didn't work so far. Maybe I should try day 3. Lol try a new number.

Haha day 3 is a good idea.

Redvel , U using same doctor for your 2nd? As ur 2nd is day 2.. Did doctor say why different from 1st?

DTAL yes same doc. She told me typically a third of embies can be cultured to blasto. But for my age, the result will drop. This is very true as for my first ivf I had 12 eggs fertilised but got only 2 blastos in the end. That's nothing near to one third but 17% hit rate.

So if you have 8 eggies, depending how many successfully fertilised, use one third as a guide. Just a guide.

My first ivf I had 16 eggs retrieved. 12 fertilised. Left 2 blastos. No frosties. 2nd round 18 eggs retrieved (can't remember how many fertilised) but on day 2 I i transfered 3 embies and freeze 5.

This round doc is not keen on blasto for me because my first blasto didn't work (as I've shared earlier that ivf is really about trying all possibilities). Maybe day2 will work. And i have now fewer embies (8 compared to 12 last round). Based on my blasto hit rate, the chance of getting at least 2 blastos is just too slim.

Ya my first round i was more disappointed with no frosties than the bfn! I dread having to jab myself again.

I'm also praying my frosties won't fail me. Me and hubby have no intention to start fresh again.

Hi all, when hubby goes for his soldiers collection, how many days interval is better? Please advise.

Sigh... He not feeling well since yday.... Now getting closer to ER, I v kan cheong this time lei.. :(

Oh quickly drink lotsa orange juice and up your vit C.

Cool...cool....

So are you going to take all the HL and rest at home?

I applied for 2 weeks leave from ET. Will take MC on ER day then go back office the next day till ET. I did my last round only in mar this year thus already used many mc + HL due to my ectopic issue. Pai say to my colleagues. So this time I use my own leave lor.

Back