P6 girl short for age

mummy_bel

My P6 girl has been short for her age (12 yrs old in Oct), this remarks were indicated in the past years health check by school. She is only 131cm whereas all her friends are 145cm and above.
My husband is tall 182cm and I'm 155cm.

Thinking to bring her to endocrinology at KKH?

Hi rinobel,
My mum is pretty short about 153cm , when i am primary 6 i am only 130cm . i think its normal
happy.gif

Hi Tammy
Can I know how old are u now and your height?

She has yet to start her puberty, i.e body still no changes.

I am worried she might be a short adult in future.

Hi rinobel
i am 29 this year , height 155cm
sad.gif

i got it from my mum too, my mother side is not really tall , perhaps genetically ?

155cm is not tall but still acceptable.. at least girls can still wear high heels.. hehe..

do u rem u stop growing at the age of?

Hi rinobel, which percentage growth is your child since birth till now? Has she been a fussy eater, always active moving about,sleep less type? Or, does she eats a lot but simply dun grow fleshy type?

did not monitor closly.. but confirmed lower than normal percentile.

Yes, she is a super fussy eater, she has min. 8 hrs of sleep everyday.

Her weight is normal.

Nope, PSLE this yr so sch stop all CCA for them. She has been in weekly swimming class (with PTE coach) 2 yrs ago till now, so dun think swimming helps in height.. hehe...

I was a late bloomer, too. The shortest P6 in school back then (dun remember the height). Puberty at about 15 or 16, and then I did some swimming weekly... more active in PE class when there's basketball or volleyball... and I did shoot up to 161cm.

Hi frogprincess
At least u are a late bloomer and managed to shoot up later.. hehe..

My girl is oso the shortest on her class and she is very sensitive to comment, be it from friends, siblings and relatives.

My P2 boy is the same tall as her now, shld be like father.

Hi rinobel,

My girl is Sec 1 this year. She also face the same problem last year when all her classmates and friends are taller than her.

However, by end of P6, her height suddenly shoot up and even taller than some of her friends.

This year sec 1, she even grow taller and she is now 163cm. So not to worry so much as long as she is healthy, exercise more, eat regularly, she will eventually grow tall.

Btw, my girl is attend Teakwondo weekly for the past 2 years, maybe this helps her.

Rinobel

Don't be dishearten ... Ask your gal join basketball or volleyball .. It helps though it saYs that 50% from hereditary and 50% from exercise .. So still have chance 50-50

I also am short too only 156cm .. I am the shortest in my family while my mum is 164cm while my daddy is 170 but my brother is the tallest as he stands 177cm .. During his sec time, he involved in basketball for 4 yrs .. It helped him. Cos in pri 6 , he wasn't so tall yet was short n skinny like monkey ..

I guessed due to my active in gymnastic ESP training on trampoline (over training)

I also worried too as my gal is only 118 cm in pri 1 this year and she told me she is the 3rd shortest in her class among 30 gals ... I was wow wow ...

Must get her to play basketball soon...

hi cpoon
Glad to hear that... hope this will happen to my girl too... hoping she will shoot up suddenly and chase after my height.. hehe

Belle_mommy
Boys has a longer period till they stop growing, luckily she is a girl so at least has a choice to wear heels.
Noted, will get 1 for her soon.
happy.gif

Swimming will help to let child grows,,.dun keep going for whatsoever chinese or western orals/injections unneccessary, to prevent any harm to their young organs.

Rinobel,

Yr daughter may hv yr genes, even though she has been swimming. For my case, I had my dad genes. I was tall for my age even though I didn't exercise. You should not worry too much on her height, as long she is healthy, happy, eating and sleeping well. Focusing too much on her height may cause you to neglect on the other things which may need yr attention.

You shld encourage yr daughter to accept herself for who she is, and not be affected by what others say abt her height etc. You shld focus on strengthening her emotional health, confidence and assertiveness. This is what I am doing for my elder gal(in P2) when she receives negative comments from her classmates, she has learnt to be independent and not easily affected by what others say abt her.

Look at brighter side, a not so tall child always get to sit in front rows..thus, their study attention is nirmally better than the rest...my smart successful frens used to be sitting in front..lol

Thanks to all mummies for your kind reply.
Being a parent, I would give all the best for my kids and wants them to have a happy childhood. Nevertheless, I am glad that she is a smart kid and I don't have to push her on her daily homework.

Let me share with you MY story. I was always the shortest/ 2nd shortest and smallest in built in my class till I was in Sec 3. By O level, I was 1.64m. Oh well, I didn't grown any taller since. I am now 1.66m. Perhaps shrink a little with age….
My first bra was at 14, first menstration at 15.
So don't worry, mummy_bel. Your girl is only 12.

Ha I was 136cm when I was in primary 6 leh. If i remember correctly I'm the 3rd shortest in class. I was very underweight (36 kg only) n inactive in sports so maybe that's why I didn't grow tall.

My sisters r 1.64m n 1.72m lo... All basketball siao. So i think activity does help a little in growing taller... i was 1.57m in sec 4.

I got 2 cousins who's much shorter than me at 1.52m n 1.48m but they got 2 other sisters who r 1.65m like that.

Back