Infant oversleeping, missing feeding time for >3-4hours

Yan Yi

Hi Mummies
My LO has been sleeping for 6-7 hours every night.
I understand that some mummies would hope that their LO could sleep through the night but my LO is only 7 weeks old. It's also said that babies grow when they sleep?
Is sleeping way past her feeding time okay for her little stomach? Or it would be advisable for me to wake her up for her feeding since she is barely 2 months old.
She has been sleeping through the night for 6-7 hours since 2-3 weeks ago.

Please advise or share your experience, Mums out there!
Thank you & appreciated ;-)

Hi Yan Yi. My LO also slept thru the night when she was bt 7-8 weeks old. Its reli ok.. when I tried waking my LO up, she refused to drink, preferring to sleep. Now shes a healthy 2.5 year old... I took it positively as I could rest thru d night n look after her well. Dont worry:)

I would prefer them to sleep actually. In fact my LO also slept a stretch of 6 hours.. even day time he also dun drink much. PD mentioned that as long as he is putting on weight than its okie. Dun worry too much and rest while u can.

Hi sweetyruth & stinzy
Thank you so much for the reassuring reply!
I have been letting her sleep as long as she like and feed her on demand.
I seek advise after a friend told me it's too taxing for their tiny stomach.
So glad to be reassured. :)

Hi Yan Yi,

Just share.
My daughter can sleep through 8 hours without drinking, and not asking for milk. Ask pd. During her check up, he said better not over 5 hours. So now, I set alarm to wake myself to feed her. Sometimes, is it ok for her to sleep 8 hours without drinking.

I do read somewhere, after 4 months then it is ok for them not to eat at night.

Hi Yan Yi,

Just share.
My daughter can sleep through 8 hours without drinking, and not asking for milk. Ask pd. During her check up, he said better not over 5 hours. So now, I set alarm to wake myself to feed her. Sometimes, is it ok for her to sleep 8 hours without drinking.

I do read somewhere, after 4 months then it is ok for them not to eat at night.

Hello utama2013

I just brought my girl to her pd checkup just now.
Like what sweetyruth & stinzy have adviced.... My pd also says that it's great that she can sleep through the night & it's fine that she sleeps 7-9 hours straight. She will wake up when she's hungry.

My bub used to be a snacker baby. She used to cry for milk every 1.5-2 hours & every 3 hours in the night. It got before after she turned 1 month old, which initially got me worried. I've tried to wake her up before the 6hrs mark. I noticed that she will be very tired & will tend to drink slowly and lesser. Tried twice. So now I just let her sleep as long as she wants, she will wake up stretching & whining (her warnings for me.) before crying hard for milk.

Hello utama2013

I just brought my girl to her pd checkup just now.
Like what sweetyruth & stinzy have adviced.... My pd also says that it's great that she can sleep through the night & it's fine that she sleeps 7-9 hours straight. She will wake up when she's hungry.

My bub used to be a snacker baby. She used to cry for milk every 1.5-2 hours & every 3 hours in the night. It got before after she turned 1 month old, which initially got me worried. I've tried to wake her up before the 6hrs mark. I noticed that she will be very tired & will tend to drink slowly and lesser. Tried twice. So now I just let her sleep as long as she wants, she will wake up stretching & whining (her warnings for me.) before crying hard for milk.

better*

It depends if your baby drinks a lot during the day? ie. how long between each feed?

Is she growing well? If she is... then don't worry.

Personally, I usually pick my baby up at least 3-4 hours in the day and 5-6 hours at night between each feed (the hours start from when you last start, not when you last finish feeding her), and try to "dream feed" her - ie. no talking, and be as gentle as possible to not wake her. If she doesn't want, then I can't force her. I note that most times, she would drink her milk hungrily.

It depends if your baby drinks a lot during the day? ie. how long between each feed?

Is she growing well? If she is... then don't worry.

Personally, I usually pick my baby up at least 3-4 hours in the day and 5-6 hours at night between each feed (the hours start from when you last start, not when you last finish feeding her), and try to "dream feed" her - ie. no talking, and be as gentle as possible to not wake her. If she doesn't want, then I can't force her. I note that most times, she would drink her milk hungrily.

My girl drinks between 90ml - 110ml every 3-4hrs during the day.
So far she has been putting on weight gradually.

Back