Confinement agent vs seeking own confinement auntie during cny period

kumyee

hi to all mummies whose confinement falls in cny,
have you start looking for a confinement auntie.
Since my edd is 31Jan, my confinement falls during cny period.
I am thinking should i look for recommended ones or from.agent.
Due to short supply of nannies during cny, agent can back up if anything happens to nanny.
Yet when i ask from a few agents, i realise i have to pay mom $120 for that month and buy insurance for nanny for that month. exclude ang pows. And price range is $3500 to $3800.
Has anyone try confinement agent before? pls share your experience. Thank you.

I have. Read review of bad confinement lady from that agent in net . So give specific instruction dun assign that lady to me and was told I have been assigned the best but their best is not even close to my expectation

1) cooking - limited dish and every night I saw her reading cooking book on how to cook
2) when groceries shop she more interest to buy her personal stuff
3) I have to request what I wan to eat then she will reluctantly cook
4) she can cook something on stove but yet fall asleep ended up I dare not sleep
5) dunno how she cook and she ended up breaking my kitchen backsplash and I have to pay $800 to replace it and spoilt some
Of my pots
6) in term of bb she is not pro breast feeding
7) she like to watch tv and always bring bb out from room to watch
8)she fall sick on 3rd week this showed she not regular confinement lady

So for this pregnancy dun think I wan to go through agency I will ask relative or friends for their personal recommendation

Thank you for sharing your experience. Indeed when we don't get a good auntie, we suffer. Didn't you ask for replacement from agent?

Nope. Her pattern only become more obviously after 2 wks and given she is so called the best I doubt there next one will be any good so just bear wit it

I have called few confinement nannies (recommended by the confinement lady I want to engage but she don't do CNY period) and they quote me around $3800 for the cny period.

guess it is cny with shortage and what to do, our baby comes out at this time. Ha ha. Collect ang pow but also burn a hole in our pocket.

Hi kumyee,

I am also one of the mummies whose confinement will fall during CNY. End up I get my mil to do for me coz those stay in confinement nannies I called are very ex and don't sound good (one tell me that she need to sleep air con, another say "u got maid right" when I ask if she can cook for my toddler son). Not forgetting that the food we buy to cook will sure increase during CNY. I also consider ordering confinement tingkat but all don't deliver during eve and CNY first 2 days (someone still gotta cook for us to eat).

Agent also don't guarantee good nanny. One of my friends engage an agent and the confinement nanny quit after a week. Agent was not able to find a replacement and end up she gotta ordered confinement tingkat and take care of baby herself.

I have. Read review of bad confinement lady from that agent in net . So give specific instruction dun assign that lady to me and was told I have been assigned the best but their best is not even close to my expectation

1) cooking - limited dish and every night I saw her reading cooking book on how to cook
2) when groceries shop she more interest to buy her personal stuff
3) I have to request what I wan to eat then she will reluctantly cook
4) she can cook something on stove but yet fall asleep ended up I dare not sleep
5) dunno how she cook and she ended up breaking my kitchen backsplash and I have to pay $800 to replace it and spoilt some
Of my pots
6) in term of bb she is not pro breast feeding
7) she like to watch tv and always bring bb out from room to watch
8)she fall sick on 3rd week this showed she not regular confinement lady

So for this pregnancy dun think I wan to go through agency I will ask relative or friends for their personal recommendation

Which agency you looked for? I am contemplating between agency and own sourced. :(

Hi kumyee,

I am also one of the mummies whose confinement will fall during CNY. End up I get my mil to do for me coz those stay in confinement nannies I called are very ex and don't sound good (one tell me that she need to sleep air con, another say "u got maid right" when I ask if she can cook for my toddler son). Not forgetting that the food we buy to cook will sure increase during CNY. I also consider ordering confinement tingkat but all don't deliver during eve and CNY first 2 days (someone still gotta cook for us to eat).

Agent also don't guarantee good nanny. One of my friends engage an agent and the confinement nanny quit after a week. Agent was not able to find a replacement and end up she gotta ordered confinement tingkat and take care of baby herself.

Hi Mocha

which CL and agent you had tried?

Hi,

My first confinement lady was from Indonesia, call Huifang (not from agency). Sack her after she work for 7 days. Told her that I don't want my son to sleep air con, but caught her twice switching on air con behind our back. Ask her to heat up chicken essence, she ask y I can't do myself. Terrible experience.

I have not tried any agent, the agent I mention is my friend who tried but I am not sure of the name.

My CL is really good..she's really experienced with babies and cooks well. MY confinement ending this Sat and I'm sad that she's heading home cos she's like a mother who advises and guides me well during the 28 days with her.
You may wanna check with her if she can make it for CNY at +60167965008, Auntie Ah Zhu.

Hi jetaime. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for a CL for jan.
Did u get your CL from agency or self employ? Is she a local?
Sorry for the qns cos still new abt CL. Thank you.

Hi all, my edd 2feb also around cny period. I'm also v confused over getting CL from agency or freelancer.

Called a few agencies, they quoted ard 3.4k - 3.9k for cny. 1 suggested that, since I will most likely op for c-sect, will most likely deliver 2wks ahead of edd. I should think abt engaging nanny for 3wks instead, to avoid the cny surcharges. What do u all think?

Freelancers cheapest quoting 3.8k. And they are all referred by friend's nanny. All direct links are all taken up. I'm worried coz what if they don't turn up after we paid the deposit?

Hi all, my edd 2feb also around cny period. I'm also v confused over getting CL from agency or freelancer.

Called a few agencies, they quoted ard 3.4k - 3.9k for cny. 1 suggested that, since I will most likely op for c-sect, will most likely deliver 2wks ahead of edd. I should think abt engaging nanny for 3wks instead, to avoid the cny surcharges. What do u all think?

Freelancers cheapest quoting 3.8k. And they are all referred by friend's nanny. All direct links are all taken up. I'm worried coz what if they don't turn up after we paid the deposit?
Hi Momobb,

I was worried too when I first trsf the deposit. My CL came and was telling me tat they worried too without the deposit as some mia when they already booked their schedule to serve.

I guess it's abt gd recommendation. My CL was recommended by a friend hence had direct experience and feedback. You may wana try my CL but book early since ur is considered hot period. :)

Hi, my previous CL is really good. Good cooking skills and have very good experience of taking care of baby! You can try to call her at Sg mobile 90699570 or Msia mobile +60126438655. She's always fully booked! Try your luck.

Hi Momobb, our bb with same EDD 2/2/15 :) Have you decided which CL to go for...?

Hi all, any of you heard about CL Jing Hui from Penang before? She is recommended by CL of my friend. I'm clueless about who is she and how is her service since I don't have any reviews from any of my friends. The more I read about the experience from the mummies with their CL, the more uncertain of me to decide which CL should I go for... So scare if I choose the wrong one which could drive me crazy esp this is my first pregnancy.

Any of you have a good review with your CL....? Appreciate it so much.....

Hi all, any of you heard about CL Jing Hui from Penang before? She is recommended by CL of my friend. I'm clueless about who is she and how is her service since I don't have any reviews from any of my friends. The more I read about the experience from the mummies with their CL, the more uncertain of me to decide which CL should I go for... So scare if I choose the wrong one which could drive me crazy esp this is my first pregnancy.

I gotten a CL (will call her CL2) who was recommended by another CL (CL1) who is already taken for my EDD. CL1 comes very recommended by my sister's friend.

When I called CL2, I interviewed her and ask her a lot of questions, before I decided on hiring her. CL2 is quite straightforward, sounds knowledgeable and knows what she is talking about. When I told her things like I want to breastfeed 100% or I want to use cloth diapers, she will tell me her opinion of what she thinks, whether she support (or not), and why.

You might want to interview your CL to see if she is capable of answering your questions.

- Is she willing to use cloth diapers? (If you intend to, but even if you don't intend to, it's good to "test" her knowledge and see what she knows.)
- What food can she cook? Is she willing to cook for hubby or extended family who is visiting?
- Can she cater to specific tastes like less ginger etc?
- Is she supportive of 100% breastfeed? (If you intend to, otherwise, see what her beliefs are, so that you don't clash with her)
- Is she willing to help out with the household chores?
- How many confinements does she do a year? (To check if she is a "professional" CL and also if her knowledge is up to date)
- Where is her last assignment and how long ago?
- Does she need a temp work permit, or is she PR/Visit Pass Holder (this one is important! - do note that Visit Pass Holders cannot work in SG without a work permit, so hire at your own risk)

I think through asking some of the above questions, you will get a feel of whether you can click with the CL and whether she would be able to support you. Listen to the way they answer too, I will be more skeptical of those that beat around the bush, than those who answer directly and proactively share their knowledge with you.

Ultimately, I would say go with your "feel", the one whom you feel most comfortable with... I spoke to 3 different CLs before I settled on CL2. All my first choice CLs all taken liao...:)

Last edited:
I gotten a CL (will call her CL2) who was recommended by another CL (CL1) who is already taken for my EDD. CL1 comes very recommended by my sister's friend.

When I called CL2, I interviewed her and ask her a lot of questions, before I decided on hiring her. CL2 is quite straightforward, sounds knowledgeable and knows what she is talking about. When I told her things like I want to breastfeed 100% or I want to use cloth diapers, she will tell me her opinion of what she thinks, whether she support (or not), and why.

You might want to interview your CL to see if she is capable of answering your questions.

- Is she willing to use cloth diapers? (If you intend to, but even if you don't intend to, it's good to "test" her knowledge and see what she knows.)
- What food can she cook? Is she willing to cook for hubby or extended family who is visiting?
- Can she cater to specific tastes like less ginger etc?
- Is she supportive of 100% breastfeed? (If you intend to, otherwise, see what her beliefs are, so that you don't clash with her)
- Is she willing to help out with the household chores?
- How many confinements does she do a year? (To check if she is a "professional" CL and also if her knowledge is up to date)
- Where is her last assignment and how long ago?
- Does she need a temp work permit, or is she PR/Visit Pass Holder (this one is important! - do note that Visit Pass Holders cannot work in SG without a work permit, so hire at your own risk)

I think through asking some of the above questions, you will get a feel of whether you can click with the CL and whether she would be able to support you. Listen to the way they answer too, I will be more skeptical of those that beat around the bush, than those who answer directly and proactively share their knowledge with you.

Ultimately, I would say go with your "feel", the one whom you feel most comfortable with... I spoke to 3 different CLs before I settled on CL2. All my first choice CLs all taken liao...:)

Hi GatewayJunkie,

TQ so much for the details. Will use it as a guideline :)

Confinement Lady or Confinement Nanny with 10 years experinece, Trustworthy,Attentive,Caring and good in cooking special confinement dishes.

Contact Number : 84252190 ( singapore )
016-4524489 ( malaysia - call this first )

If you are getting nanny from agency then beware of Aunty Nanny (owner: Mei Yoong). Nannies provided we're totally unqualified and inexperienced. First nanny had some dispute with agency prior to coming to our place, and promptly refused to start work when told that we're unable to provide a "private toilet" for her use.
5 days later we were sent a replacement who confessed that she had never done confinement aside from her own grandchildren who are now 5 yrs old. She had nice personality, so we have her a chance to learn (luckily my mom was around to guide her) but she gave up after 4 days.
Agency kicked up a fuss when we decided to discontinue the service for not wanting them to just send us a 3rd unqualified replacement. In the end we only recovered about 60% of what we paid for 4 days of "confinement service". Thoroughly disappointed and would caution anyone planning to engage Aunty Nanny.

Hi I highly recommend my confinement nanny Aunty Chan. She took such good care of me and my baby that we extended her for three months. She cooks well, is easygoing and has a pleasant personality. And is hygienic which is important . She is great at interacting with babies, and my baby was so happy with her that he smiles and laughs every time he sees her. She was able to gently get him into a routine and he could sleep through the night after a few weeks! She is pro breast freeing and boils herbals soups which are good for my milk supply. Her contact is 83607995 or Msia mobile 010 705 7296

I suggest you ladies avoid a confinement nanny named miki lee. She looked after my triplets but spend lots of time spreading rumors and gossiping. Created major unhappiness in my family. Even wanted to know my and DH's salaries! Dunno of what concern it is to her other than to satisfy her kaypohness!

My fren gave her number but never had her as the CL. I was desperate coz the CL I had secured pulled out at the last minute so I bopian just engaged her lor. She's ok with babies and cooks well but given her shit stirring and kaypohness, I'd rather have a CL who cooks less well.

Serenakoh23, every time read that freelance CL has this problem. Last min pull out with stupid lame reasons and make mummies garanggabok. Very annoying. Now you look after your triplets yourself?

Yes, look after with domestic helper now. I had such a terrible time with miki lee. Miki was a shit stirrer, no help at all.

Hi mummies I had popped on xmas eve n just posted in another thread regard my first CL. Vomit blood experience that made me cried. Do read there if you are interested. I also would like to know if there is PT night CL

Would like to recommend a reliable & good confinement auntie kam. l'm mother of two baby boy ages 3+ years old and one years old. My two pregnancy is c section and i hired auntie kam for first and second baby. I wad very blessing as my confinement auntie kam is so good in everything.she help me a lots on the my breast feeding journey. She good caring for the baby, my elder son & me so i can have a good rest for the whole month. She will give advise to the do's and dont's of the past natal period. She can cook special yummy confinement dishes cause she have been stay in canada , england & usa before. Like chicken chop, pork chop, papaya fish soup, pig stomach soup, pure chicken essence, fried rice with ginger+sesame oil,and a lots of variety yummy dishes.Mostly her customer is hong kong people.
She will cook for my husband as weĺl. The good thing is she seldom repeat dishes cause during whole month always staying inside the house. So will not feel bored. She really hardworking. End up my second baby i hired her for two month. Can contact her by tis Malaysia number 012-5431562

Back