(2014/08) August 2014

Hi Shirley and other mummies who have given birth in Thomson medical, i would like to ask if it is necessary to bring along maternity pads? Do the hospital provide? I'm preparing my hospital bag now lor. Heard my frds saying Hospital provide those which is a loop type. Also does the hospital provide a special type of mesh underwear? Is it necessary also to bring your own sleeping wear? Thanks in advance!
Can I add some more questions to this, is it true that there is no need to bring anything for the baby? Will the hospital provide everything?

Can I add some more questions to this, is it true that there is no need to bring anything for the baby? Will the hospital provide everything?

Hihi.. The loop pad is only for day one after ur delivery. U won't be wearing anything underneath besides the loop pad which is provided by hospital. Second day you will can change to ur own stick on pad. Its easier unless u know how to use a loop pad and wear panty. This is because u need to walk to circulate blood be it Natural or Csect. Stick on pad bring ur own pls.. buy those maternity kotex. Thick one..

Yes. Hospital provides a set of baby clothes and a wrap when ur baby can go home.. but I bring my own set of clothing for baby to wear home.

Please also bring a set of newborn mittens and booties as hospital one are too big.. keep dropping. .

I attended the child birth and child care education course from TMC. The instructor confirmed that everything that are needed for the baby will be provided for. I believe you pack according to the list given by their hospital stay guide should be fine. I have packed sanitary pads, disposable panties, my own pajamas and also breastpump and breast pads in case I need to pump in hospital coz I dont want to use the hosp one...(not sure will I have any milk then but just in case...) absolutely pack nothing for baby :p I believe they will give you lots of samples also so there is no need to worry lol...

TMC will provide the Kotex loop pad. Once finished, you can use your own. They will also provide the special mesh underwear which I think is rather good. I think they will provide at least 2 but you can ask them for extra and they will charge accordingly. It's better to bring your own maternity clothes to wear after the delivery as they provide those blue hospital gown which opens behind. Basically no need to bring baby's stuff and just bring your stuff will do.

Here are some of the things that I brought to TMC:
i) NRICs (wife and husband)
ii) Letter from Gynae for admission to hospital
iii) Package receipt
iv) FBI/SBI card
v) Cash/Credit cards
vi) Maternity nursing clothes + outfit to go home
vii) Nursing bras
viii) Slippers + socks
ix) Disposable breast pads
x) Toiletries
xi) Handphone + charger
xii) Nipple cream
xiii) Maternity Sanitary pads (although hospital will provide, they will also charge accordingly if more is needed)
xiv) Plastic bags to keep dirty clothes
xv) Manual breast pump (to stimulate milk production further after baby's suckling)

BTW, TMC is doing renovation. Can be rather noisy.

Breast pump may not be necessary cos the power puck is super not accessible. Haha.. and first few days no flow. I didn't BF during my entire stay cos too stressful. . No milk at all. I came home and massage on my own behind close door and bingo.. flow out and I manage to pump out. The consultant there will help u access whether u need any help on BF. My nipple too short. Need to have a nipple shield to help but baby is way too eager to have milk so latching on is not an option for me.. I can only pump.

The renovation did affect us. Think it's directly below us. Saturday started from 2:30pm to 7pm and Sunday start from 9am onwards. Luckily I discharged today. Else sibeh sian...

I think tmc probably provides everything u need but they charge for it? So if u wanna save a bit u can consider bringing ur own things. Last time I remember they charge by say per pack or opened pads. So if u want u bring ur own pad then no need use theirs then they won't charge for it

Breast pump may not be necessary cos the power puck is super not accessible. Haha.. and first few days no flow. I didn't BF during my entire stay cos too stressful. . No milk at all. I came home and massage on my own behind close door and bingo.. flow out and I manage to pump out. The consultant there will help u access whether u need any help on BF. My nipple too short. Need to have a nipple shield to help but baby is way too eager to have milk so latching on is not an option for me.. I can only pump.
lol i am bringing an extension cable! coz both my hubby and i will be charging our phones, camera, etc so i think the wall socket might not be enough LOL...kiasu

Anyone of you know when we should start drinking coconut water? My TCM doc ask me to only drink once on wk35 and wk36 and that's it. And to drink green coconut. Is that true? I see my frds drinking white coconut instead.
I alr start drinking at wk34. . Should drink the green coconut which is less sweet n more cooling. Advised from my mum n other experienced mum.

Shirley, then did u feed fm to ur bb while in hospital? I also have short nipples, so using nipple shield to bf, but milk still not coming in yet, juz getting bb to "feed"/ stimulate milk flow nia.

I've the same problem as u for #1. elder boy didn't want to latch coz too impatient, end up I pump exclusively. but careful that ur milk supply might drop if u don't pump frequently enough, also pumping yield might be lower than what u actually produce making u think that u got low supply & demoralized & give up. that's what happened to me, so only pump for abt 6wks then give up liao.

try latch as much as possible. even using the nipple shield is better than pumping. if bb is impatient, can try feed some ebm first then latch. tats what I'm going try do this time. latch latch latch! ;)

Hello mummies,

Congrats to all the mummies edd Aug. We are changing gynae. Anyone of you can recommend a good gynae, not from KKH, reasonable rate, does a good c-sect job. Possible hospital are Mt A, TMC, Novena.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hihi.. The loop pad is only for day one after ur delivery. U won't be wearing anything underneath besides the loop pad which is provided by hospital. Second day you will can change to ur own stick on pad. Its easier unless u know how to use a loop pad and wear panty. This is because u need to walk to circulate blood be it Natural or Csect. Stick on pad bring ur own pls.. buy those maternity kotex. Thick one.. Yes. Hospital provides a set of baby clothes and a wrap when ur baby can go home.. but I bring my own set of clothing for baby to wear home. Please also bring a set of newborn mittens and booties as hospital one are too big.. keep dropping. .[/QUOTE said:
Thanks! Do you mean Kotex brand has maternity thick pads also? Wow I never know. It shld be cheaper right. Shall checkout the supermarkets later for that

Poohgirl.. yeap. Kotex thicker. If u start bf..the menses will be lesser.

Kopibeanie

I fm all the way in hospital. Told the nurse I have short nipple and no milk..no engorgement yet.. but I took FM and feed baby myself on day 2.

The shield does works but it will leak leh.. end up bb like pek chek to suck. Probably I am a FTM, so her cry makes me gan cheong. Lol. So I rather pump then latch. Pump at least I know how much intake. Latch I dunno she drank or not leh..

Poohgirl.. yeap. Kotex thicker. If u start bf..the menses will be lesser.

Kopibeanie

I fm all the way in hospital. Told the nurse I have short nipple and no milk..no engorgement yet.. but I took FM and feed baby myself on day 2.

The shield does works but it will leak leh.. end up bb like pek chek to suck. Probably I am a FTM, so her cry makes me gan cheong. Lol. So I rather pump then latch. Pump at least I know how much intake. Latch I dunno she drank or not leh..

I had the exact same experience n tots as u. elder one cry n cry (KPKB) whenever I put him at the breast. so I was thinking y torture him n myself. pumping seems easier to manage. but juz careful pumping might not be so effective for some ppl lo. during first wk I got 20-30ml nia, 2nd wk max is 60ml, then drop to 20-30ml again for the rest of my pumps. super super demoralized. so end up give up pumping also.

there was once or twice I managed to latch my boy during 2-3wks. coz I had blocked ducts which was super painful & didn't go off no matter wat I did. so boy KPKB also force him to latch until the blocked ducts cleared off. hahah. abit bad ah. but now think of it, I shld have persisted with latching him. mabbe supply won't dwindle then. sigh.

anyway, jiayou ba! don't stress. fm is as good. my elder one is super active & vocal/smart. my cousin who is fully on fm since birth is a govt scholar. hahah.

Day4. Milk supply still low...latching and pumping.. now can only pump out abt 10ml max per session...still working on it..
Giving fm also...

Is gd to bring 1set of baby clothes to hosp to wear when discharge...the ones that hosp give are new and not wash..

Day4. Milk supply still low...latching and pumping.. now can only pump out abt 10ml max per session...still working on it..
Giving fm also...

Is gd to bring 1set of baby clothes to hosp to wear when discharge...the ones that hosp give are new and not wash..

me day 3 now. also latching & pumping. supply juz starting to came in nia, only ~5ml per pump. sigh. lucky my #2 is still more interested in sleeping, so no need for fm yet. now doing power pumping to try stimulate more supply. hopefully supply can keep up when his demand starts increasing.

my csect wound still very pain. need help to even go toilet. dunno how to manage when discharge tmr. sigh. :(

Hi mummies. . I also BF my bb boy. The 1st 3 day. .same..not milk at all. ..I do pump out as well. TMC got supply the papaya fish soup is good for bf it will generate and supply more BM for baby. . For the beginning. . Everyday must drink the papaya fish.. until your milk is flow. ...now my BM supply to my bb not problem. Each time pump out have 120ml

me day 3 now. also latching & pumping. supply juz starting to came in nia, only ~5ml per pump. sigh. lucky my #2 is still more interested in sleeping, so no need for fm yet. now doing power pumping to try stimulate more supply. hopefully supply can keep up when his demand starts increasing.

my csect wound still very pain. need help to even go toilet. dunno how to manage when discharge tmr. sigh. :(

Did you use tummy binder, it helps me to get out of bed myself easily. Nurse put it on for me immediately after c-sec.

Just seen my gynae. Bb already at 3.5kg at 38th week 5 days. Still no sign of labour. it is correct to still wait for another week now? My gynae says not advisable to induce now...may also end up c-sect...sigh :(

which hospital you in? so good nurse there put on for you..
my gynae told me only can put bidder on 2nd day

Mt.A nurse asked if I bought my own at the delivery ward, if not they can provide and charge into bill. So i got hub to fetch from ward. Then when I'm awake after the c-sec, I'm already wearing the binder.

Just seen my gynae. Bb already at 3.5kg at 38th week 5 days. Still no sign of labour. it is correct to still wait for another week now? My gynae says not advisable to induce now...may also end up c-sect...sigh :(
Did the Gynae check if baby is engaged or if cervix has thined or dilated?

last time mine measured at 3.5kg around 38weeks, also no sign of labour. Then gynae suggested c sect. Baby came out 3.3kg

last time mine measured at 3.5kg around 38weeks, also no sign of labour. Then gynae suggested c sect. Baby came out 3.3kg
Sigh my gynae is like very indecisive...he has been suggesting me to wait and see for many weeks...I asked if I still can go for normal delivery or not he also cannot tell now...

Sigh my gynae is like very indecisive...he has been suggesting me to wait and see for many weeks...I asked if I still can go for normal delivery or not he also cannot tell now...
Maybe you should wait for 1 more weeks if you prefer normal delivery since you almost 39weeks already

Hi mummies. . I also BF my bb boy. The 1st 3 day. .same..not milk at all. ..I do pump out as well. TMC got supply the papaya fish soup is good for bf it will generate and supply more BM for baby. . For the beginning. . Everyday must drink the papaya fish.. until your milk is flow. ...now my BM supply to my bb not problem. Each time pump out have 120ml

Wow..120ml thats alot...ur freezer will be full.

Day5..only manage 40ml max per pump...but baby taking more..she can take 50ml of fm per feed...
But she sleep well too..after milk..sleep 3-4hrs

You have a good supply going.... envy!

I'm week39+1day today, tmr morning then visit doc... I also still feel same...

I always hear they say carry full term is best...so try not to worry too much? My gynae always seem v chill... Nov talk much ant csec or natural though I did tell him I prefer natural... Each time I visit him he just said all is well, lets wait and see how...

I heard walking induce labor too... N they said making love too! Hahah...

I'm week39+1day today, tmr morning then visit doc... I also still feel same...

I always hear they say carry full term is best...so try not to worry too much? My gynae always seem v chill... Nov talk much ant csec or natural though I did tell him I prefer natural... Each time I visit him he just said all is well, lets wait and see how...

I heard walking induce labor too... N they said making love too! Hahah...
Ya hope I can natural as well...I am talking to my bb everyday ask him faster come out now coz 3.5kg is really big...1 week plus to go!

yep I did. but still pain leh. mabbe my pain tolerance low & I can't take any pain killers except panadol.

Oh I see. My #1 c-sec recovery time is about 1.5mths without binder. #2 is only 1week plus with binder. Both operate by diff gynae. Don't know if this make the difference.

Back