21 months old speak less then 10 words

Princess 81

21 months old speaks less then 10 wprds. Ped feels normal as toddler understand INSTUCTION WELL..
Is this normal and anyone has kid of same age having similar speech . worry its slight delay but dr feels normal so suggestetd sending to preschool early may help. Any suggestions?

looking for a school once a week enough as only intend to send him to a kindy nearby when he turns 30 month -2.5 years old.

Intend to send to school at 2 plus as no suitable schools nearby.

Any one knows of good preschool once or twice a week kind. Pls PM me

Any one staying at Jurong east or Toh Guan area pm me. maybe can meet up with kids same age for them to mingle around.

Looking for more SAHM staying this area to catch up and our kids to

hope to hear from you soon.

diff to compare leh... my fren's daughter, 19 mths, can sing I'm Yours.
her hubby strums the guitar and the baby sings along... no joke... if i let you see the video, you sure "OMG!"

Hi,

My girl is also 21 months old and couldnt talk much jus babbling in her own baby language, but understands instructions very well and is an active child. She can imitates when we speak in a single word or two but not to the stage of speaking in a full sentence.

I am staying at west coast area and it might be helpful if we gather mums with kids together to let them engage in their own toddler conversation.

Please pm me anytime at your convenience.

Thks,

Do you talk to him often? Like all other learnings, kids need to be encouraged. You can talk to him, ask him questions, sing to him and encourage him to sing back, etc. All these will help, you just have to be very patient.

My son is 21mo, I sing and talk to him a lot since day 1, now he is able to reside nursery rhymes, sing, say short sentences & even ask "why" questions! Each kid is different though, I suggest you send him for early intervention, engage him in small group activities (my gym, growing up gifted), peer influence may also help at this stage.

Hi

My boy started speaking only at 28 months. Before that, he could only say "mum-mum" (eat) and "mouse" (mickey mouse) but he understands everything we said. And he goes to childcare. I was so worried about his speech delay and even booked an appointment to see a speech therapist. But at 28 months, he suddenly started speaking and it's been non-stop since then! He's 3.5 years now and argues back with us all the time!

my son now 7.5year/old .......

he officially talk at k1, since then he talks non-stop from the moment he wakes up ..........

speech delay can disrupts English grammar usage which son faced problems in school last year !

till date, he struggles with grammar usage .

DO get referral from polyclinic to seek professional help for subsidy else can go for private professionals .

I was speaking to a student e other day n he said he only started talking at 3 yrs old. Doing v well in studies now. So when they start speaking may not b a cause for worry if they r active, understand instructions n can make their feelings known. Of coz, ped would prob b in a better position to advise. :)

Hi Princess81, let me know if u still need playdate. I go toh guan quite often as my parents are there. I have 2 boys - 4.5yo & 3. My big boy has speech delay so i can relate to your anxiety.

Hi,

I have 3 kids. All of them started talking at different age. No1 being a boy started talking at only 3 years old but he started walking at about 9 to 10 months. My mil was very concern and asked us if there was anything wrong. We suspect its because being an only child at that time, my no1 didn't have anyone to talk to except my mum who was his caretaker. But once he started talking at 3 years old, he just won't stop.

No2 being a girl started talking much earlier. Definitely around 2 yrs old or before. She is now 3.5yrs old and she talks a lot of senses, logics and even give instructions. We suspect its because with an elder bro, she gets to practise talking all the time.

No3 is 1yr old now. Again busy ba ba ba and da da da. Being the youngest, he has 3 siblings to play and talk with. Luckiest of all I feel. :)

My take is every kid is different and I guess birth order plays a part too. If the doc says its fine, then maybe no need to worry too much. But do monitor for any speech delays though.

Btw I sent my kids to 2hr playgroup when they are 2 yrs old. Toh guan blk 286 has a star tots. It is a 2 hr daily playgroup where the teachers sing songs, read stories and the kids learn to interact with kids of the same age group. My no2 went there and no3 will be going next year. Do give it a consideration. :)

I have found nursery rhymes and counting songs to be a great way of educating my children and improving speech. We sit together and sing along to nursery rhyme videos on YouTube, this is our current favourite:

Back