Speech of a 20months baby

von

Hi Mummies

I am concern with my girl#2 speech, at 20months, she is still babbling alot and has about 50-60words of vocabulary. No real sign of speaking in short sentence yet and not prompt in speaking too.

My elder at the same stage was speaking in great length , 3-5words sentence, probably a few times more vocab.

When i took her to weekend enrichment class, I realized she seems to be falling behind her milestone in speech comparing to peers.

Do you think i should take my girl for any early intervention?

Hello, I read before that it is recommended for you to take your child to see a professional for his/her conditions. All the best!

Hello @HappiBerries .. do you speak a lot to your child? I've read from a few places that most of the time, it is because the child hasn't been expose enough to the language, thus unable to speak well in sentences. And in fact, a lot of them only start speaking in more proper sentences near 3 years old.

My nephew didn't talk till he was 26 months old, right after he was sent to a half day childcare at 2 years old. According to his doctor, it's possible that they don't find a need to talk since family members usually understand what they want even without them talking. It happens to another friend's daughter too. She went childcare and started talking (a lot) after 2 months.

For my baby, my family and I kept talking and singing to her since she was a baby, and I make sure that my mouth is open wide when I speak to her (and that she's looking right at me) so that she can catch the action. She started speaking 3-5 words sentences at 17 months. Not sure if it's the frequent talking that helps.

I think it helps.. I've seen friend's kid who don't really want to talk, and after understanding friend's family circumstances, I realised they dont talk much to the kid, and the kid just have to point and the family members do the 'job' for him. So I think, constant chatting with the kid since born is very important..

Hello @HappiBerries .. do you speak a lot to your child? I've read from a few places that most of the time, it is because the child hasn't been expose enough to the language, thus unable to speak well in sentences. And in fact, a lot of them only start speaking in more proper sentences near 3 years old.

my mum taking care of him 24hrs mon-fri, always talk and play with him. my mum is the chatty type.
he also attending full day class at child care. he mix and play with his classmates.
his pd wrote a referral letter to go for speech therapy. i'm still hesitating to bring him see

Mine can speak in sentences but cannot recognise A-Z or numbers. Ppl have been commenting that she speaks very clearly. We seldom baby talk other than a few words like 'mum mum', ' orh orh', 'neh neh', the rest is english. She cannot sit still to learn but chats n play with elder sister everyday. I dunno to worry or not to worry. Less than 3 months she will be 3 yrs old.

My boy is complete opposite from your girl! He cannot speak sentences yet, but maybe occasionally two to three words linked, like Sit Here, Good Morning Daddy, Bye Bye Toys, See You Later, See You Tomorrow... But his pronunciation is surprisingly very clear, especially for multiple syllabus words like Octagon, Umbrella, Bull Dozer. He surprised me a couple of months ago when he said TWO! Then slowly he says ONE, THREE, FOUR, FIVE, and he just managed to say SIX this week. He can recognise these numbers and last night he actually counted ONE TWO THREE before he threw a paper plate as a freesbie! He also just started saying A this week, and he can say CIRCLE, SQUARE, TRIANGLE, RECTANGLE, OVAL, OCTAGON, STAR.... and for colours, he can say RED, BLUE, YELLOW, ORANGE, GREEN. he started speaking only just before he turned two but since then his vocabulary grows very quickly. He is 28 months now. It is really funny to hear him speak difficult words like EXCAVATOR and FRONT LOADER! ;)

Back