Maternity Leave

sweetcorn

hi all mummies....
im a new mum to be & would like to hear some feedback/opinion...thanks :)
Will u take full maternity leave in 4 months OR clear it partially?

4 months straight! I think depends on your job nature. I'm keen on breast feeding which is good to have minimum of 6 months so I'll have to stay home during that period of time to ensure I can do that :)

If I could express at the workplace, I wouldn't mind clearing partially! What about you?

Initially wanted to clear 4 months straight but I went back to work 1 week early. I'm using the 1 week I saved to take 1-2 days off for the first few weeks back to work to spend time with my bb :)

I took 4 months straight.
However, it's tough for me to separate from my newborn after taking care of her for 4 month. Can't bear to leave her with infant care initially.

Depending on your job nature.

I think depends on you personally. Some people feel ok to separate from their babies quite young but I can't be away from mine for too long. Haha.

I took 4 months straight with #1

I took 12 weeks 1st and the balance 4 weeks used for vaccination, child sick, outing etc. But I think is really depending on yourself and your job.

I wanted to take 4 months straight but ended up going back after 10 weeks as my contract staff found a permanent job and there is no point finding a replacement when I am left with a month plus to go back. I guess it really depends on your job but I personally feel that trying to clear all the remaining 6 weeks within one year is quite challenging.

Four months straight is better. You can have some bonding with your baby before you start working again. Better to take care of baby for the first few months as it's still very young. If keen on breastfeeding, you can take the four months to breastfeed too!

I started my ML on the day I delivered and took 10 weeks and saved the rest for other uses like when I need to bring for vacc, vacation and maid issues.

I've got no problems with nursing. But I begin to alternate my boy with bottle and breast at 6 weeks. And when he was 8 weeks, I started to pump and mimick the timings I will be able to pump at ease when I return to work. For example, in the morning 20mins before I leave the house, during lunch hour and immediately after official work hours. I'm still nursing my now 18 months boy (intend to wean off soon). If you feel engorged, can try leaving cabbage leaves (chilled). It helps greatly

Last edited:
I wanted to take 4 weeks bt I was hospitalised after c sect due to complications. Would it be possible to extend my hospitalisation leave into the maternity leave or it would still be considered as maternity leave cos I had already given birth and maternity leave have to take effect right after birth?

Yes correct, maternity leave will take effect once you give birth, hospitalisation leave is possible for those who haven't give birth yet.

If i am not a confirmed staff, do you think i am still entitled for the ML?
Hmmm depends on ur Co.

In my previous job, i got a colleague who's on 2 years contract - full time position, she was entitled to everything that a permanent staff has. But dept haven't confirmed to use her permanently... ie she may be asked to leave after the contract of 2 years ends. It ever happened b4 to other contract staff. My ex Co hired about 20+ full time contract staffs.

I think a month into e job she got pregnant..by right must be after 3 months probation.

But my then bosses were ok... there's a MOM guide that 1 must work >3 months then she would be entitled to the ML... So it all depends on ur Co policy la.

I got a gf who joined her Co when she was 4~5 months pregnant,her tummy was way too obvious already, but they gave her the 4 months ML anyway.

Babe, if u r a full time staff, y don't u ask ur Co... =)

Last edited:
Thanks Babe. I'm still under probation... so really need to depend if my co confirms me after 3 month.

There's another co would like to employ me despite of i'm 4 months pregnant. I'm considering if i should go for it..... :oops:

Hi Hikkigoh,
If the pay is similar so now IMHO it depends on benefits.. anyway both places are new la...so I will choose a co with a more pro-family policy. Baby is more important now.

Hi Hikkigoh,
If the pay is similar so now IMHO it depends on benefits.. anyway both places are new la...so I will choose a co with a more pro-family policy. Baby is more important now.
Thanks. I have decided not to change co cos my current ones is more pro-family and they are not so calculative whether when i am going for maternity leave. Now i am in the dilemma whether to rest early before my EDD. Feeling so tired nowadays....

Take 3~4weeks earlier, which is mid-feb 1week b4 cny(feb19)? I think u should be 7months+ already. Still got nearly 3months to go wor.

Hi all, may i confirm if the last 4 weeks of maternity leave is inclusive of PH, sat & sun? I understand we can take the last 4 weeks(28 days) flexibly.

Last edited:
Hi, agreed with tiggerpooh. It should be 20 days. I gave birth to my #2 last year Nov, left 7 weeks of ML. HR asked me to take 35 days, so l cleared it as and when needed. Just finished all the ML last month.

Back