Imperforate Anus

joshning

Hi.. I just give birth to a son with an Imperforate anus.. Does anyone have the same experience with me?

Needed advise..

Hi, my girl was born with a similar condition, now 2 months old. She underwent surgery about 3 weeks ago to close the hole that was functioning as the outlet for her poo, and the surgeon created an anus for her where it should be. She is currently using her new anus, and we are monitoring her closely. Anything specific you wish to know? Am more than happy to share. Was told by the surgeon this happens 1 in 1500 births.

Hi bkerchic, my girl is seeing Dr Chui at Mt Elizabeth. He was referred to us by the PD. Where is your Dr from? KKH?

Yes, she is from KKH. i suppose her case is Low IA.
IF you prefer we can chat in private instead. my email is [email protected] is my hubby email add. He does all the reading and research about IA.

OH sorry i just saw ur previous post.. MY child do not have an opening at all.. needed to do a 3 stage operation. Can i check with you.. Your operation done in mt E how much was it?

Hi, the 2nd operation cost more than 10k. But we downgrade to C class, and use our medisafe to pay for the bills. we still need to pay cash.

hi Eliza, my girl just born with imperforate anus, premature baby. may i know how much you have spend in Mt E and how many operations have you gone through?

need your advise.

hi yunyan.. u might want her to transfer to KK for op.. if u have done the 1st at MtE than do the 2nd at KK.. u need someone to talk to talk pls call me at 98524890

Thanks Xiangning for the reply, appreciate it. I am now thinking where is the better option for the op, either in KK or Mt E. sure, will call you for more details.

KK have very good and experience doctors.. as IA is not a common condition only 1:4000 or 5000.. Singapore only have around 1 or 2 case a month mostly treated in KK.

My son op is done by prof Jacobson which is the head of surgery for woman and children. Dr low yee is also very good.. Even you not able to downgrade in KK is also much cheaper than doing in MT E.. How is ur child condition? IS a high or low IA?

Hi, sorry, was out of forum for some time. My girl had one operation, we are currently seeing the surgeon as outpatients. However we have had to dilate her anus for quite a few months because she had anal stenosis. Now size 13 at age 6 months. Are you doing ok? It can be quite stressful, so pls shout if you need a listening ear.

I believe ur child had an low IA.. and is not born preterm.. 17K is a reasonable price for 6days stay..

my son was born preterm at Geagles with IA stay at ICU for just half day cost me $1.5k..

he needed 3 op to construct his anus which is most of the case.

1st op to have a colostomy done stay in NICU for 8days and 8 days in Special care. i got to downgrade to c class.. so pay around 12K.

2nd op which is called the pull through operation stayed in for 1 week at HIgh D..

3rd op which not done yet is the closure of the colostomy.

If u have the money by all means go for the best hospital and the best doctor.. At the end is really well money spent.. is ur child is GOD gift..

Hi xiangning, just came back from our follow up with my girl's surgeon. Yes, we are fortunate because my girl had low IA with a fistula that ended in a tiny hole. We did have a second operation 7 days afte the first cos her stitches dissolved too quickly and therefore split the wound. I remember our post operation care at home was quite challenging.

We also had to deny her milk because we had to minimize infection of surgery site so she survived on glucose water for 4 days post operation.

I am sorry to hear you have 3 operations to do. Will pray for you.

Hi Xiangning & Eliza, thanks for all your details and advices. i really appreciate it. My baby girl is having high IA. Besides the experience doctors, i believe the support from the ICU should be good, experience and supportive.

Xiangning, for the 2nd operation, how much you spent for that 1 week stay? How old is your son now? Is he doing ok after the 1st op?

my son is 5 months now corrected age.. 1st op will be the most challenging one as he is born preterm he got 2 holes in the heart that is not close. so is more dangerous.

But he came out strong and do not need a defibrillator. to create the stoma is a very common op in KK..

The 2nd op which i would say is the most important op.. by than ur child would be bigger at weight around 6KG.. class B2 cost around 3+K.. u can use baby bonus to pay or medisave.

My son who is now 2.5 year was born with IA. The three stage operation were done in a private hospital by a renowed doctor in Penang.

I wish to share and hope to part of this group for tips and suggestions

My son is 3 now.
He is currently having Ex-lax after dinner which is about 9 pm. And he have huge poop the next day. We are currently trying to potty train him. Before this he uses LGS.

I am giving my son Duphalac (lactulose) every day. At time I need to increase the dosage if I find his tummy is bloated. Sometime I also use enema. Most of the time, there will some poo poo on his diapers. The reason why this is happening according to the doc if because of constipation. Do you find Ex Lax and LGS useful.

Hi Xiangning,

Everthing will be fine. You will be in my prayers.

He will poo poo using his anus. Are you doing the dialation of his anus currently.

Hi Shuba
We find that Ex lax is quite good. It is effective as compared to LGS. But we need to watch what he eat. We found that chocolate cause him to have loose stools. But its not easy to control what he eat.

Hi bkerchi.. My son just when for the closure of stoma.. Wanna check how Long after the op than ur child have bower movements..

Hi Xiangning,
If I may share, I believe it's after one or two days...the doc will advise u to feed your son with small ounces of milk first.

Hi Xiangning
We fed him with formula milk in small ounces as suggested by shuba.
We wait for him to pass wind and inform the nurse that he did it and in few days he will pass motion.

thank God.. MY son was discharge on Monday..

any advise on the diaper rash? currently we apply stoma powder with barrel cream but the skin still red.

Hi Xiangning,

Glad to hear that. Hope he is doing fine.

Try using Sebamed diaper rash cream, alternatively you can get zinc cream from pharmacy. It worked perfectly well for my son.

Hi
I use Sebamed cream as well. Its rather exp tho..
I use the stoma powder too as it good in keeping the skin dry.

Yap sebamed is ex. I never had the chance to use stoma powder. I used to apply zinc cream which is so much cheaper that any diaper rash cream from the shelf when my son had the stoma. I ensured that the skin around the stoma is always in good condition and even the stoma nurse was suprised to see skin.

Hi all,

I hope that this group is still active cos would really want to learn more from fellow mummies with IA babies. I am having a lot of problem with the colostomy bag so I want to find out more. I am using convatec little ones bags.

I missed your post Jenny. Will e-mail you! Anyway, I also did some research and experiment. More than happy to share with other mummies and daddies so please PM me.

Hi, is this topic still active?
My son was born with imperforated anus. Currently he's 6 year old, going to P1 next year. I am stressed coz his poo problem is going to be quite challenging while entering into school life soon. Anybody can share on how you prepared him for this ?

Hi. My son is having IA Low stage. He is now 4 months old. I am thinking to do PSARP at KKH.
I am S pass holder in Singapore. Can I get any financial support form here.I started to work last week. Please advise me. I don't know what should I do. Please call me. 83124250

Hi, is this topic still active?
My son was born with imperforated anus. Currently he's 6 year old, going to P1 next year. I am stressed coz his poo problem is going to be quite challenging while entering into school life soon. Anybody can share on how you prepared him for this ?

Hi, my son was born with IA(high ).Did you give him an enema ?

Back