7 weeks pregnant with no fetus or heartbeat detected

Dr says growth is not normal cos according to her by 7 weeks, heartbeat will be detected. She requested for a fetal scan at wk8 to decide a wash away is required or nt. Not very encouraging. Feeling devastated.

Hope to hear some hopeful experiences or get a second opinion from mummies who can recommend a verg positive approach gynae.

I did my next scan after I had some spotting.
Doctor did a blood test for HCG, the level has dropped. So it is MC ..

I did a scan at 6 weeks only ges sac n yolk sac no foetal pole no hb .. Only a dot at 3mm
Returned for 3 more scans at week 7 and 8 still nothing but a bigger sac .. Hcg was 49,000 something to 50,000 something
Did a d&c to clear everything

I did, not on one occasion but thrice. I ovulate later than usual, about 2 weeks later so supposed to be on 7 weeks pregnant but only seen sac (scan show the sac size as 5 weeks plus), heartbeat and fetus only can be seen on second visit.

My gynae didn't measure the sac just zoom in to see the sac. I'm thinking should I change my gynae? She wasn't helpful in explaining much. I googled that ovulate later does affect the detection of fetus n heart beat. My cycle is longer than usual 28days. Avg 34 days. So I guess it affect the ovulation. I dunno. Just throwing out possibility.

My gynae didn't measure the sac just zoom in to see the sac. I'm thinking should I change my gynae? She wasn't helpful in explaining much. I googled that ovulate later does affect the detection of fetus n heart beat. My cycle is longer than usual 28days. Avg 34 days. So I guess it affect the ovulation. I dunno. Just throwing out possibility.

Yes, it does affect and my cycle is longer than usual 28 days as well! Mine is over 30 days too like you. I guess she used a chart to calculate how many weeks you are pregnant? It might not be accurate that way since that chart is for those who have their cycle every 28 days. If you feel uncomfortable with the current gynae, change to another one.

I would recommend prof.arjith biswas from NUH. He is a master of complications.

In my case he ordered 2 blood test to check hcg Between 48 hours. He also gave me one short of hormones so that baby will hold on.

I had a missed miscarriage for my first pregnsncy and had to do a dnc. In my case I came to know that baby dint not grow after 7weeks only by 12 weeks when I has slight bleeding.

Last edited:
Heard about him. Very experienced in high risk pregnancy. Since I'm above 35 and considered high risk pregnancy. Maybe he will do a more thorough check for me.

I heard about him too from my gynae. I had complications on my last pregnancy and went nuh for FA scan to get second opinion. My gynae recommended him, asked me to get him to do the scan for me. :)

Any1 experience the following....
By date I shld b ard 6 weeks n went gynae for a check after I tested positive twice n tested positive once by a GP. The gynae did an ultrasound scan n say can't see anything at all. He said tt it might b less than 6 weeks abt 4 weeks only thus can see nothing or mayb a miscarriage or etopic pregnancy. He said etopic preganncy is unlikely as my 1st 2 preganncy is normal n miscarriage unlikely as i do nt have any spotting til nw. He asked me go bk 2 weeks later. Frm wat I ask frm GP n another gynae's nurse n googled, by the 4th week shld at least see a sac.

I just came out from my clinic few hours ago to hv the same ans. my baby hv no heart beat when I'm should b in 8weeks now. Yes!! Is very depressing ans n told me to wash away on Friday. Should I ask for the 2nd op? And may I ask roughly how much u all pay for the abortion fee?

Huh?! No wor.. I'm asking for myself. Coz I jus came out from my gynac clinic n on my way home I saw yr this post...

I wld definitely advice 2nd opinion before anything is done. My cousin's 1st detected her bb heartbeat at ard week 12. Before tt could nt detect at all.

My doc told me to wash away n had make appt this Friday to do it. But I was half hearted. Dunno what should I do? Guess I not thinking right at this moment. The clinic fee charge me at roughly $1200 n he say if he had to do in hospital will be roughly $2500. I was like wah!! So ex ah..

But he Oso said my yolk ring is big. For normal is 5mm n mine is 6.7mm today (3nd visit) n during2nd visit he told me so long is bigger than 5mm. The chAnces of miscarriage is higher.

Lydiasui, I would suggest you seek a 2nd opinion. Am thinking if you have an introverted uterus? For such uterus, it's harder to find the fetus n hb in the first trimester. Doc has to really spend longer time searchg for fetus n hb. The trick to facilitate easier detection, doc will ask you to place a pillow at your back to tilt your lower body.
Did ur doc do a hcg test and another round 48hrs later? If you are still pregnant, ur hcg level will increase almost double after 48hrs. This is a test to measure your hormone level.

I have read that first detection of fetus n hb happens between 10 to 12 weeks too. So don't make a pressured decision to wash away. A small innocent life is at stake.

Tks for sharing.. No he never ask me to do any test.. He only ask me to c him in 1 week time which is my 2nd visit as he say the baby heartbeat is weak n my yolk ring is big. So I went after 5days instead of a week. N today he told me he can't detect the heart beat at all n he let me decide if I 1 2 wash away. I was soooo depressed n cried once I'm out from his room. Tomorrow I will visit another doc at AMK KK woman n children clinic. Jus hope it give me a little hope again... Thank u once again...

Perhaps u can request ur next doc to do hcg test beside the u/s. It's alway safer to run more test to support n confirm the u/s findings.

Tks for sharing.. No he never ask me to do any test.. He only ask me to c him in 1 week time which is my 2nd visit as he say the baby heartbeat is weak n my yolk ring is big. So I went after 5days instead of a week. N today he told me he can't detect the heart beat at all n he let me decide if I 1 2 wash away. I was soooo depressed n cried once I'm out from his room. Tomorrow I will visit another doc at AMK KK woman n children clinic. Jus hope it give me a little hope again... Thank u once again...

Hi lydiasui, I can fully understand how u feel as I hv a similar situation as u.... based on my LMP, I am in my early 9th week... I jz did my 8th week scan on 28/5 and the dr was telling me he can't detect the baby heart beat.... my 7th week scan still show a faint flickering of the baby heart beat... the dr was telling me it could be a case of missed m/c where the fetus stop growing and heart beat stop as well... I was devastated too upon hearing tis... I'm seeking another dr 2nd opinion nxt week and was hoping tat it will gv me some new hope as well... and I sincerely do hope tat there is good news for u frm another dr... good luck!

Jannbaby, yes... Let's pray for a better hope. I went to c my gf's gyn as my 2nd op last wed. He really gave me a little hope... But I didn't tell him anything abt what my 1st gyn said. He jus check normally. N said.. The baby is still small and I was in my 6wks so is kind of hard to find the baby heartbeat. My own 1st gyn told me I was in my 8wks n by then should can find the heartbeat. So I was confused lah so i told both doc my last day of mens is 30mar but 2 diff weeks they gave me. Anyway, my 2nd gyn ask me to visit him sat which is today to maybe take blood test n c the baby is ok. Let's keep our hands together n hope for the best bah.... Jia you...

Lydiasui, yeah jiayous!!! Sometimes the LMP might nt be the accurate indication of the pregnancy week.... its the growth of baby tat matters.... lets hope for the best.... good luck!!!

This happened in March 2013.......I tested positive with my first pregnancy on Feb 12 2013. Went to see the doc a week later and knew that I was 5 weeks pregnant. Was advised to go back 2 weeks later since the foetus couldn't be seen.

2 weeks passed and went for my check up. there was no foetus, only an empty sac. Doc immediately asked me to do a blood test to check my hormone levels. Did 2 blood tests within 72 hours and the results came out that my hormone levels were dropping. Then the Doc dropped the news on me that I was having an unhealthy pregnancy, whereby the baby did not develop into a foetus. Was asked if I wanted a DnC or take medication.

Thought it over for about 2 weeks and took medication instead. Hardest period of my life seeing the sac come out of my body, it was an induced miscarriage. life changed for me since then....including my failed marriage....but that's all over now. i've moved on and getting on fine without the ex and the loss of the "baby".

no matter how hard it is, you will overcome it and something else better will come along. won't be able to start my family planning until my divorce is settled in 2016....but happy baby dust to you all!

Mira... Sorry to hear that.. I wish u hv a blissful life with the next love ones...
Mine disappointment had come to the end last Monday. Went to wash off as 2 doc told me.. They are quite sure I'm miscarriage as the baby has no more heartbeat n is not growing at all... Well.. Yes.. Life still carry on n hope can hv a successful pregnancy for the next one...

Hello. Did anyone here have the doctor tell you if there was any blood flow to the baby?

My doctor couldn't detect a heartbeat. Measuring 6 weeks when it should be 7. He also said cannot find blood flow.
I want to wait another week and scan again.

Hi Clariceseah. Did you saw any fetus pole? Yolk sac? At this early stage, I never heard gynae say anything about blood flow before as the umbilical cord is way too early to be seen too

I think may be too early to judge on heart beat. . Next week will be the moment of truth.

It totally depends on when u conceived. So last menses date is not accurate.

I also don't know when conceived... My cycle is 40+ days. I don't know if this plays a part at all. I'll see the doctor on Thursday and then decide.

I m just hoping its not blighted ovum for Clariceseah. . My first pregnancy was diagnosed with this too and I did D&C

Hi dear... Pl stay relaxed and wait for next scan. I know it's easy to say but positive thinking really helps. Hope all turns five for you. God bless

Hi all, I would like to see your advices. Went for my 1st scan on 17th June and seen a crescent shaped sac, doc says it's too early to tell. Went for my 2nd scan on 26th June due to slight spotting. The sac is now rounder and fetus and yolk sac can be seen, measuring at 6 weeks 3 days. Spotting also stopped after 3 days. I went for my 3rd scan today and the sac seems to be collapsing and the fetus still measures at 6 weeks even after 2 weeks. The doc says that the pregnancy is not viable. Was given 2 options: to wait another 2 weeks to see if miscarriage takes place or to do D&C. What should I do?

hi amanda7583,
i experienced something like this in my first pregnancy. started spotting at 6 wks+, doc scanned and say preg not viable, likely to natural miscarriage in the next week or so. indeed in 2 days, i started bleeding like heavy period.
went back for scan after bleeding cleared and the sac is no longer there.

i believe natural (or God if u believe) makes sure that only the healthy ones survive, so i would suggest just let nature take its course.

now im really grateful to God to have a healthy boy.

Amanda7583, I will opt for another 2 weeks and if no heartbeat detected, this will means u are having blighted ovum and do a D&C.

Why I say this is because by 2 weeks, if the pregnancy is valid, there must be a heartbeat

Amanda I was like you in March this year. At week 6 I had spotting and my 1st gynae said not a viable pregnancy and no hb was detected. After 3 days I went to see another gynae becos my spotting became heavier. And at that point of time heartbeat was detected but weak. So every week gynae ask me to see him and I did take HCG test. Heartbeat went up after a couple of weeks then when I went for 10th week scan heartbeat was no longer detected and bb din grow much and the sac has collapsed so gynae suggest I do a d&c at my own choose date.
You can choose to wait to see but I din becos my gynae say it's unlikely the pregnancy can continue. I also din want to wait for another 2 weeks and jus before I go for d&c the gynae will do another scan for u just to confirm and also my hcg test din double up as expected.
So I know it's as good as gone. I believe my angel up there will bless us again soon. And yes I am a mummy of an angel. :)

I know how you feel and I cried buckets after that for 2 days. The pain is real and I will not get better, it just gets different. Big hugzz!

Last edited:

Back