Coping with childcare

Oh dear. That does not sound good at all! Hope both of you get well soon, and don't pass to the husband when he gets back! Maybe both of you can just cuddle all day and sleep, since you're both infected anyway. :p

My girl caught a bug too last Thurs. Had runny nose and was coughing through the night til she threw up! But she's generally in good mood, just tired easily - which is great for me cos it means she just sleeps all day. Lol. Right now just hope none of the other kids get it.

Just read all your experiences in coping with cc...
My boy (18months) will start his cc next month in Sweetlands JW..
Hope everything will be okay..
does anyone have any comment about this cc?

Hi Yurike,
Sorry, no experience with the centre.

Hi shelled,
Yes! I hate the coughing till throwing up part! And my girl's cough only happens at night. Last night, she threw out all her milk after coughing in her sleep. I had to clean her up, put her back to sleep and then do the laundry because of the puke. Aizzz... Hopefully she will recover soon. And because she is still sick, I doubt she will be going to school tomorrow too. Break all the way from last Fri. We are all worried if she will be willing to go back to school next week (provided she recovers by then).
A sick preggie (yeah! just found out I am having #2 :D) with a sick child... So looking forward to Sat when the hubby is back from reservist!

OMG CONGRATS!!! This is a great age gap between the two, they grow up together and develop a strong bond. Not so great for parents though, too close very tired lah. Lol.

You are not recovered yet as well? Please rest well, eat well, feel well. Pregnancy hormones are like… URGH (for lack of a better description)

THANKS!! Luckily I don't have any symptoms/discomfort yet. Or probably too distracted by my girl's illness to feel any discomfort. Ha! Hanging on till Sat and then offload everything to hubby :p
Expecting a big change in lifestyle again in the family with this new addition. Excited, yet scared. Hahaha. Should really gain some insights from you since you are an experienced mummy of 3!

Finally sent my girl back to school today. As expected, a bit whiny and some tears because she is still a bit under the weather (still having a bit of running nose) and long absence from school...

Does anyone has comment on Amazing Star Montessori @ Ubi? Thought of sending my 19 months girl into this childcare but would like to get some comment first. Let me know if there is other good childcare in Ubi or eunos area.

A quick eye-balling thru the thread and I see the kids seemed to be doing well in CC so far ;)

My kids were down consecutively with fever since Good Fri... by the time they recovered after the long weekend, the virus decided to attack me as well... I've never felt so sick b4.... fever was so high that the GP sent me to hospital immediately for drip and blood test.... even after the 2 packs of drip, the fever still spiked and lasted for few days... :confused:

Congrats tungchia :)

OMG pnut! I hope you're all better now! It sounds really terrible. It's not dengue is it?

tungchia2301,
I'm not an "experienced mommy". Just anyhow 混过去 one lah. hahaha But you will realise the noise level between 1, 2 and 3 kids is erm... vastly noticeable. :p

My #1 has skipped pri school for the first time today. Came home from school yesterday with fever 39ºC high. #3 also skipped CC due to runny nose, cough and fever. I think it's the initiation to "CC germs" lol pretty much every 2 weeks she's been sick at home.

Pnut,
Hope you and family are well by now.

Shelled,
Yes, my kiddo seems to be forever on medicine since she started school. Hahaha. And the strange thing is I thought we adults have supposedly stronger immunity. But how come hubby and I also take terms to catch those cold and cough from her? Hmmm.... So basically, the whole family has been gulping down medicine since the year started.

Yes in general adults have higher immunity, but doesn't mean adults are immune to sickness, esp. on new and unknown strains of viruses.

It is still better for adults to also be well prepared and increase our immunity via quality supplements ourselves to help us fight cough and cold as well.

Thanks tungchia, now it's my son's turn having flu and cough...

Got my son's very first monthly progress report from CC ytd for month of April. Mostly positive remarks and describing him enjoying his time there ;)

Oh, don't be too surprised. My hubs caught HFMD from one of the boys when they caught it from school. My #2 even caught HFMD twice! Different strains cos he has different symptoms, but still!

Pnut,
Got such thing as monthly progress report? Hahaha. It's good to know that the little one is enjoying himself :)

Shelled,
Read and heard terrible things about HFMD. Praying hard my girl doesn't get it.
Talking about strains, the stupid hubby still jokingly say "Oh. As long as the girl gets all 6 strains, she will be immune to HFMD!" :rolleyes: Like so smart....

As adults, it is also necessary to stay healthy and well, and be prudent against any viruses.
Have to make sure that parents and adults have good immunity.

There are a few cases where the parents themselves caught the HFMD from the child, although it is rare.
Do take care and be healthy and well. :)

Actually it's not that rare for parents to catch HFMD from their kids. I know so many moms and dads who have!

Tungchia,
Your hubby trying to be funny hor?! Lol

Hi Parents,
Any experience at Mulburry CCK? There's no nearby My First Skool CC in my area. Need to change my girl from the nanny to CC, wonder how fast she can adapt. She has GDD issue n attending Early Intervention beside her Kindy. Difficult to shuttle her as I also have a 6mth baby. Hope Mommy here can give advise. Thanks.

Hi Mummies,

This thread has stopped for a while so not sure anymore reply here.

My dragon gal will start childcare next year Jan, around 27months. Ok so I have engaged a nanny in the past 2 months but it seems tat my gal can't settle down with her. My initial plan is to let her attend half day cc, nanny will pick up at 12:30pm. Bath, meals, sleep @ nanny's place and I will try my best to pick her aft work b4 7pm. After 2 months @ nanny's place, I realized that realy not much to do there...no classmates to play with etc. so now I reconsider to put her in cc up to 5:30pm then nanny will pick her up...bath, dinner and wait for me to pick her home. Now problem is my gal still hasn't get used to nanny, so when cc start...I'm worried she might need to adjust to both cc and nanny. But I can't confirm if able to pick my gal on time fr cc so nanny is needed...headache*** Any advise pls? Im in dilemma :(

Hi ashgray77,

Can't settle down with nanny meaning she will cry non stop when I leave and
nanny not able to distract her to make my gal stop crying :( she will only start cc next Jan.

Hi mel928,

My boy is also around the same age as your gal. I send him to half-day CC at 20 months, but he couldnt adapt, crying non-stop both before going to school and also during class for about a month. It is really a difficult and busy period for me and I withdraw him. At 28 months, I send him to another CC again. He adapted in 2 weeks time. Now, he enjoys going to CC every morning, no more crying!

Thus, I concluded that either this second CC is good, my boy likes the teacher, enjoyed their programmes etc etc..or he is more mature, ready for school at this age. Both reasons also complements each other.

I suspected your gal might not like the nanny because 2 months still cannot adapt is abit weird. Children know who are good to them. So I guess you have to listen to your gal..

It all depends on individual child.
maybe good to let the child settle to one routine, that is, either nanny, or CC, rather than both.

If the child does not take to the nanny, maybe putting the child to full day CC (up to 7pm) after the settle in period maybe an option?

Weight the different options and what is best.

Hi mel928,

My boy is also around the same age as your gal. I send him to half-day CC at 20 months, but he couldnt adapt, crying non-stop both before going to school and also during class for about a month. It is really a difficult and busy period for me and I withdraw him. At 28 months, I send him to another CC again. He adapted in 2 weeks time. Now, he enjoys going to CC every morning, no more crying!

Thus, I concluded that either this second CC is good, my boy likes the teacher, enjoyed their programmes etc etc..or he is more mature, ready for school at this age. Both reasons also complements each other.

I suspected your gal might not like the nanny because 2 months still cannot adapt is abit weird. Children know who are good to them. So I guess you have to listen to your gal..

Hi happily13,

Thank you for your advice. I did asked my gal if she would like to c teacher or go nanny's place...she replied teacher bcz teacher will sing ABC( she is currently with Shichida)...lolzz. I'm realy indecisive..coz to put her in full cc...I need to consider 1) me/daddy will b on time to pick her b4 7pm 2) by the time we pick her, still need to rush for her dinner and I'm worry dinner aft 7pm is too late for her. 3) I always have a perception that full daycare is too stressful for children.

May I know so your child now is on half day cc?

It all depends on individual child.
maybe good to let the child settle to one routine, that is, either nanny, or CC, rather than both.

If the child does not take to the nanny, maybe putting the child to full day CC (up to 7pm) after the settle in period maybe an option?

Weight the different options and what is best.

Thanks abbba :)

Any mummies with child in full day care? Hope can share experience on how to cope.

Hi happily13,

Thank you for your advice. I did asked my gal if she would like to c teacher or go nanny's place...she replied teacher bcz teacher will sing ABC( she is currently with Shichida)...lolzz. I'm realy indecisive..coz to put her in full cc...I need to consider 1) me/daddy will b on time to pick her b4 7pm 2) by the time we pick her, still need to rush for her dinner and I'm worry dinner aft 7pm is too late for her. 3) I always have a perception that full daycare is too stressful for children.

May I know so your child now is on half day cc?

Hi mel928

Yes, he is on half day cc now, for a start. I also do think that whole day is too stressful, let him try half day first. Currently, I also have a helper to fetch him and take care of him after school. But when my helper goes home next year after her 2 year contract, I may put him whole day cc as I think it is best to do it gradually.

You might want to get a helper, but of course, again, it might solved your problem but also created another sets of problems. This is already my 3rd helper in 2 years plus, all my previous helpers give me alot of problems, nearly called the police etc. But no choice, what to do...

By the way, I also heard from my colleague that her child cc provide dinner! I didnt ask which cc.. but maybe that is another option..

Hi mel928! :)

I agree with abbba that it's more stressful for your child to need to adjust to both a nanny and going to CC, yet at the same time, I can understand your concerns of rushing to pick up your child by 7pm. In the early days when my firstborn had just gone to CC, we kept kenna "fined" by the CC cos we were often late. $2 for every 5minutes or something like that (can't really remember), but I would say it's definitely more stressful for us than for the kids!

Have you thought about making some arrangements at work? For example, starting work 30 minutes earlier so you can knock off 30 minutes earlier to make it in time to pick up your kid? Supposedly with the govt promoting flexible work arrangements and all those "pro-family measures" that benefit the employers, you might be able to negotiate something out.

On the topic of helpers... If they were reliable, I wouldn't be a WAHM earning less than half of what I would as a FTWM! :p

Back