FREE Help - Primary School English Composition

Hi everyone,

I am not running a business and I am not offering tuition.

I just want to share with all parents that I've started a blog which offers free help for primary school students in the area of English composition.

You only need to email me your child's composition & I'll comment, amend and post it online for sharing. I'll also be looking for materials to share online e.g. good articles, good phrases etc.

I've taught pupils of all abilities from the best to the weakest. My last class was a P5 English Foundation Class. I had to be really creative to get them interested! : )

I've been teaching for many years but had to stop last year due to health-related problems. I still love to teach but returning will prove to be very challenging!

It'll take some time for my blog to function at 100%, so I only ask of you to check back once in a while. I am closely monitoring the change in the EL syllabus for 2013. Once available, I'd love to create some free resources for sharing.

I only have google generated ads on my blog and they pay peanut crumbs e.g. $0.01 for 1000 unique views. If you consider than a business...well, I've got nothing to say... : (

Else it's really free. I'll continue the blog as long as there is some interest.

Thank you for reading this & feel free to comment, email, pm me. If I can help I'll try my best.

My blog address is:
http://icanwritetoo-sg.blogspot.sg/

My (MOST CURRENT) Website is:
http://icanwritetoo-sg.weebly.com/

You can find my email address there / or you can contact me here.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hi everyone,

Hope you have a wonderful 2013!
I'd just like to inform you that there are new posts to my blog. Do have a look if you are interested!

Cheers!

Hello!

I'd like to inform you that there are new posts on my blog. The latest is a post on resources for writing outstanding compositions. I will be building this up a little at a time!

Cheers!

Hi mikiko,
I'm so sorry. I did not realize that it was set to not receive! Thanks for informing me. I should be able to receive PMs. Can you try again? Or you can email me via my blog. Both are fine!
Cheers

Hello everyone!

I've just added the final portion to my post 'Kicking Up the Notch Part (I) - Resources for Writing Outstanding Compositions'.

Hope you'll find it useful & tell your friends about it!

Do keep a look out for more new updates at my blog. Working as diligently as I can as the school term has started in full swing!

My next post will probably be on some resources for struggling writers. Stay tune!

Hi,

Just to let everyone know that there is a new post under the label of 'Improving Content'. This post is targeted at struggling writers. Thank you.

Have a great weekend. I need the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz too.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your patience & concern.
I am better now.

My blog has been updated since last week. Do drop by and have a look!

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that there are some updates at my blog. Hope you find it useful!

Have a great weekend,
sgmamadreams

Hello everyone!

A HUGE thank you for visiting my blog and for telling friends and family about it! My pageviews has hit over 5000! I really cannot believe it!

I've just added 2 new posts.
As SA1 is coming, these resources can be useful for both writing and the oral examination.

Bye for now!

Hi everyone,

I am not running a business and I am not offering tuition.

I just want to share with all parents that I've started a blog which offers free help to primary school students in the area of English composition.

The blog started out as a platform for parents to email me your child's composition & I'll comment, amend and post it online for sharing.

However, to date, I've posted a number of resources useful for your child's work. E.g. Writing tips, good articles, good phrases etc.

I've taught pupils of all abilities from the best to the weakest. My last class was a P5 English Foundation Class. I had to be really creative to get them interested! : )

I've been teaching for many years but had to stop in 2011 due to health-related problems. I still love to teach but returning will prove to be very challenging!

The posts are FREE. No Hidden Links, No subscription...

I only have google generated ads on my blog and they pay peanut crumbs e.g. $0.01 for 1000 unique views. If you consider that a business...well, I've got nothing to say... : (

Else it's really free. I'll continue the blog as long as there is some interest.

Thank you for reading this & feel free to comment, email, pm me. If I can help I'll try my best.

My blog address is:
http://icanwritetoo-sg.blogspot.sg/

You can find my email address there / or you can contact me here.

### I have a post of the same title in Year 2004 Mums ### and I think the feedback has been great! If you have school-going kids, do drop by and have a look. You won't be disappointed.

Have a great day!

Hello,

My blog has been updated with the final part of Selected Reading Materials (3) and also answers to a previous post, as requested by a reader. Do scroll around my blog to see the 2 updates.

Thank you for your interest and support for my blog.

SA1 is coming soon . I will try to focus on something more examination- oriented for the coming week.

Have a great weekend!

sgmamadreams (yes...I am a dreamer...)

Hello,

My blog has been updated and also answers to a previous post, as requested by a reader. Do scroll around my blog to see the 2 updates.

Thank you for your interest and support for my blog.

SA1 is coming soon . I will try to focus on something more examination- oriented for the coming week.

Have a great weekend!

sgmamadreams (yes...I am a dreamer...)

Hi Everyone,

I have a new section in my blog - 'Basic Vocabulary'.
The target audience of this section are beginning writers e.g. P1, P2 and weaker, struggling upper primary pupils.

I am still building it up so give me some time and feedback if necessary. I can't promise everything, but I am always receptive to positive criticism.

The posts are FREE. No Gimmicks, as usual.

Let's work towards better writing!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

I have a new section in my blog - 'Basic Vocabulary'.
The target audience of this section are beginning writers e.g. P1, P2 and weaker, struggling upper primary pupils.

I am still building it up so give me some time and feedback if necessary. I can't promise everything, but I am always receptive to positive criticism.

The posts are FREE. No Gimmicks, as usual.

Let's work towards better writing!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Hi,
I happened to chance upon this thread. Will visit ur blog for sure. Thanks for blessing all. You must be a very blessed person too. Cheers!

Hello everyone,

There is a new post today! It comes with an interesting online activity for your child to try out. Have fun learning!

The activity will open in a new window, but don't worry, it's an ad-free link, as usual.

Cheers!

Hello everyone,

There is a new post today! It comes with an interesting online activity for your child to try out. Have fun learning!

The activity will open in a new window, but don't worry, it's an ad-free link, as usual.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to post here that there are some updates on 'Selected Reading Material 4: Drowning / Rescued from Drowning'. I will be adding a new post by the end of the day.

Do have a look!

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

I forgot to post here that there are some updates on 'Selected Reading Material 4: Drowning / Rescued from Drowning'.
I will be adding a new post by the end of the day.

Do have a look!

Cheers!

Hello Everyone,

I've added a post after receiving a composition. Do have a look at the question and my suggestions.
There is also a free new online quiz. You might want to get your child to attempt it?

Hope these posts will be helpful!

Cheers!

I am so excited! :cool:
After weeks and weeks of sourcing and testing and planning and migrating, I am finally proud to announce the official launch of my own website:

I Can Write Too! @ Weebly.com

As compared to the blog, the website is really so much easier to navigate.
I can organise my work more effectively.

You can find everything here, there, plus much more!
Yes, it is still FREE. NO HIDDEN LINKS.

Most of the pages in the website are functioning and I will continue to nurture its growth!

Let me know if you like it as much as I do! Let's share & learn together!:p

Hello everyone!
icon_lol.gif

I've managed to figure out how to post compositions received in the website. You can see the latest composition received here:

http://icanwritetoo-sg.weebly.com/our-collection-of-compositions.html

The arrow at the top left-hand corner will collapse the side column if you do not need it.

Feel free to let me know if this viewing format is alright. I've tried expanding the height but it lengthens loading time significantly.

Wow! Just saw the alerts from the forum that some of you like my work! Thank you so much! ;)

Cheers!
sgmamadreams

I've just realised that the Menu for Selected Reading Material cannot be displayed properly on Mobile Devices. What you see is only the topic 'Crime' but cannot choose to view the other topics and themes e.g. 'Accidents'.

So I've just added an option to view a simplified menu for Mobile Devices.

You can see the added option here.

Hope you can access those resources now! :cool:

Hi everyone,

I've just posted a composition submitted by a Primary One pupil! Wow!
Do have a look at his wonderful attempt.

If you are using a mobile device and the documents do no display, try tapping on the the blank space and the document will open in a new window.

Do let me know if you find any bugs! (arghh...flu bug...cough cough):eek:

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a busy week for me...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Managed to grab my laptop and uploaded a new Pre-Exam Grammar Test.
Writing is not just about content development, extensive vocabulary, but also good grammar too!

I'll be adding another composition received soon and am trying my best to add more exam-oriented resources!

Keep the fighting spirits up kids! It's the final sprint to the finishing line!!!

(I am aware that for some schools, SA2 is over...Yippee! However, a number of primary schools will have their exams the following week and some the week after.)

Let's all work as hard as we can to achieve our goals!

Cheers,
sgmamadreams (on)
icon_goodpost.gif

Hi Everyone,

I've been so busy at home...

I've just published a composition submitted by a P5 pupil. It was a lengthy piece of writing and was challenging to edit. Why? I wanted to preserve the content and ideas and at the same time, help the child see how she can spice up her work.

Phew! I love how ideas from children can spur my creative juices!

You can find the composition at http://icanwritetoo-sg.weebly.com/our-collection-of-compositions.html

I really hope the feedback can prove to be useful to some of you and your children!
icon_xedfinegrs.gif

Cheers & have a great weekend!

Hi Everyone,

If you have been following this thread, thank you so much for your support!
It has been a truly enriching year for me.
I've not been updating this thread and my website because I've been busy with another Science-related educational project.
If you are interested, you can check out my thread in another forum (link below) because I am not allowed to advertise it for free in Singapore Motherhood.
By the way, a FREE TRIAL is available now till 1st March 2014.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=67499

However, if you are still interested in my FREE resources for English composition writing, I am definitely continuing it.
As a matter of fact, while researching for tools to use for my Science educational project, I've stumbled across many interesting and useful tools to use for I Can Write Too! Rest assured that I am working on something now and there'll be an update really soon.

Will I Can Write Too! still be free? GOOD NEWS! I intend to keep it that way!

If you have confidence in my work, I really hope you can support my other educational project. Although it is not free, it is incredibly affordable.

I believe in educating the children with all my heart. However to prepare resources for Science is so much more challenging than English! Questions are a lot tougher to set (ask any primary school teacher and they will all agree that the Science paper is a lot work!), so I have no choice but to charge a very minimal price to cover cost of the tools used and (a lot!) my time spent.

Do keep checking here or subscribe to my I Can Write Too! Newsletter.

New, Free resources (both current and New Syllabus) are coming soon!

Cheers & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Sgmamadreams (still dreaming, just like Mr Walts Disney)

Hello Everyone!

New Content 'Selected Reading Materials: School Life' is available!
It's a little scratchy at the moment, (I am battling the flu buggie) but I'll be updating really soon by the end of the week!

Thank you for the support and patience!;)

Cheers,
Sgmamadreams

P/S Do sign up for the free trial for my other educational project! I'm always serious about education!:p

Hello!

New Content has been added!
You can follow this link to learn more about the newest addition!

Do check back often! I'm adding new content really soon!

Cheers,
sgmamadreams

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for your continuous support!

I would like to invite you to participate in a poll on my website.

Poll (Feedback on New Features)

I would like to gather some feedback about the new features or if you prefer the previous (more serious) presentation.

No hidden links or gathering of personal data. Just statistics I need to move my resources in the right direction.

Thank you for your participation!
icon_thankyou.gif

Cheers,
sgmamadreams

Hello!

So sorry that I've not been able to update my website lately.
I was recovering from a small injury and then was occupied with another project (mini crisis...)

I've just managed to resolve the problem so I think I owe my readers some explanation.

I've also received a few emails from parents asking about how to help their younger child with their composition writing.

I've not taught lower primary but I think it is a good idea to explore how lower primary children can be taught writing. After all, when the foundation is strong, you need not worry about them as they progress through the levels.

I'll definitely look into this and update my thread here and in the website.

In the meantime, I definitely encourage parents of young children to read to your children. Sounds like some old grandma's advice, but from personal experience, I think it really does matter.

There are many other possible approaches. Let me organize my thoughts before I post them here or in my website.

Thank you again for you trust in my work.
Your support means a lot to me!

Cheers,
sgmamadreams

Hello!

So sorry that I've not been able to update my website lately.
I was recovering from a small injury and then was occupied with another project (mini crisis...)

I've just managed to resolve the problem so I think I owe my readers some explanation.

I've also received a few emails from parents asking about how to help their younger child with their composition writing.

I've not taught lower primary but I think it is a good idea to explore how lower primary children can be taught writing. After all, when the foundation is strong, you need not worry about them as they progress through the levels.

I'll definitely look into this and update my thread here and in the website.

In the meantime, I definitely encourage parents of young children to read to your children. Sounds like some old grandma's advice, but from personal experience, I think it really does matter.

There are many other possible approaches. Let me organize my thoughts before I post them here or in my website.

Thank you again for you trust in my work.
Your support means a lot to me!

Cheers,
sgmamadreams

Hello Everyone,

New content has been added to 'Selected Reading Materials: School Life - School Camp (Outdoor Adventure)!

More updates will be ready for this topic by the end of the week!

Resource on other common topics are also available at

Q: When can I submit compositions for your feedback?

A: You can get your child to start writing these few days. I'll be accepting compositions for feedback from 16/3 (Sun) to 19/3 (Wed). Depending on the number of compositions received, I'll need a few days to go through them in detail. I hope you understand that! : ) For details on how to submit, please click here. http://icanwritetoo-sg.weebly.com/terms--condition-submission-of-composition.html

Cheers!
sgmamdreams

Hello Everyone,

There's a new composition received from a Primary Six pupil.
It is a composition about a bank robbery.

You can see her composition & my comments & suggestions at
'Our Collections of Compositions' at http://icanwritetoo-sg.weebly.com/

Just want to remind everyone that if you would like my help, one of the best ways is to submit a composition to me for review. It is very difficult for me to advise and give suggestions if I cannot see your child's work!

For some of you who have submitted compositions to me for feedback, you'll know that I ask a lot of questions about your child. I try to understand his / her approach to writing before I comment. The last thing I want to do is to discourage your child!

I've just received another composition and will be working on it the next few days. Hopefully I can publish it soon!

Thank you for your support and trust in my work!
icon_biggrin.gif

In the meantime, take care & stay healthy!
icon_xedfinegrs.gif

Cheers,
SGmamadreams

Dear All,

Did you know my account was suspended over the weekend?
Long story...However after convincing the moderator a number of things, I've finally gotten my account and my thread back.
However, you'll notice that my other thread has been removed... Long long story & a frustrating one...however, this is not why I am posting...

Wow! I'm so busy!
icon_lol.gif

Loving it too! Since SA1 Paper 1 is coming, I've received a number of compositions these few days. I really hope I can clear them before the weekend!

So sorry, I'll have to request parents to hold off submitting compositions to me for the moment unless you are not in a hurry to get the feedback. I'll look at your child's work next week. (Different schools have different test dates for SA1 Paper 1, so I understand why some parents are more worried than others : ) ) I'm a MOM too!

Uhmm...Why am I so slow? Well, I take time to looks through possible angles before commenting. Sometimes I'll contact the parents about their child first before giving feedback. I also have obligations at home.

ANYWAY, there is a new update. This composition was written by a P2 child. Have a look at his work, my comments and the little extra's I have for him. I tend to be more worried about the younger children & those going for PSLE... so I'm trying to help him enjoy the writing experience.

Do leave comments on my website if you like my work!
MOST importantly, tell your friends & families about it!

You can also subscribe to my updates either through the cute subscribe tab on the left of my website or through 'CONTACT'. No SPAM!

Cheers,
SGmamadreams (back to the next compo...)

Hello Again,

Wow! What an exciting week!
I've been so excited reading the compositions submitted!

I've just posted a new one from a Primary Six pupil.
She has taken up the challenge to write about a fire.
It is quite well-written and I've taken time to suggest areas in which she can make it even more interesting.

So do visit 'Our Collection of Compositions' and have a look too!
You won't be disappointed!

IMPORTANT NOTICE
I've updated my website with a license from Creative Commons. My work is still 100% FREE (no strings attached) however, I would like to remind readers that you can use my work freely as long as it is for PERSONAL & NON-PROFIT USES. This information has been in the FAQ in my website since the beginning. If you would like to publish it for commercial gains or purposes, please contact me first.
If you do see anyone or organization selling my work (or work under my name) please do not purchase from them.
icon_itwasntme.gif

Thank you!
icon_xedfinegrs.gif

Cheers,
SGmamadreams (off to the next composition & lots of housework...)

Back