Preparing for Primary 1-2008 Babies!

In a few months time, we will be registering our children for P1. Care to share how have you prepare for your child?

Hi Cheveris, I am looking for student care outside the school, as school usually gave priority to children from needy family. You might want to check with the school of your choice first.

Just started sending my son for Chinese classes at Berries, started giving him allowance too, teaching him to buy things on his own.

I'm giving him $2 a day. Usually he will use it to buy ice cream cone from mcdonald's or some other things tat he like. Else he will put in his piggy bank.

He is also shy at first, but becos it's buying the things he wans to eat so slowly slowly he learns to do it. I gave him a lot of praises when I started off teaching him.

Hi there,

My son also born in 2008 and will be registering for P1 this yr too. I hv shortlisted 2 sch near my house, but juz thot of checking out the ECA to see which is the one my son more interested in.

My son is the eldest so guess he juz hv to learn to be independent. By the way, want to ask something, is ur kids abt to clean himself up after he poo? I am trying to 'teach' my son to do it on his own. So far so good, but at times he refused to do on his own. :(

Having a sibling in the school will help, if not, then the child has to learn to be independent like buying of food, telling the time etc.

He always asks me to do it when I am ard. But according to him, there are times when he poo poo in sch and he says that he wipe himself. So I'm not sure too.

Hi mummies, this is big headache for me too. My son attends berries since last year - his chinese went from non existent to improving leaps and bounds. We make him do Maths work book every other day about 5 - 10 pages each time. Similarly his maths also improve heaps - only headache is his english reading!!!

He still can't really read!! He attended mindchamps reading and then i pulled him out after not much improvement now at I can read. This is my biggest headache cos i worry if he still can't read by P1 he will be in big trouble!!

September - LOL all mummies think alike i also worry about his poo cleaning skills which i am sure leave much to be desired. LOLOL I bet it's a mess after he poos in school - good luck to the classmates sitting beside him. My son i think ok to order food cos he very socialble type but he has absolutely no concept of money at all - like how much change to get etc.

Anyway now my main worry is his reading and maths. later than worry about the money and wiping backside part LOL.

For primary school, hubby and me will take big gamble, we sold bishan flat away to buy apt at newton to get son into ACS primary or ACS Junior. Our house is 1 KM to ACS primary, ACS Junior and SJI Junior. important investment for us as my no 2 is also a boy and born in the year of the dragon (shudders!!). So all hope is on kor kor. Hubby is methodist so we will apply at phase 2B and if don't get in then will try again in phase 2C. I'm having heart attack just thinking of this!!!!

Great sharing with you guys - so mainly now my preparation for him is reading english and maths. Later part of year will prep him to eat food himself, including cutting the food into smaller pieces which we usually do for him, toilet stuff, looking after his belongings and money issues. He doesn't know how to tell the time too!! FAINTZZZ

melanie,

actually I do nt know if my son can read yet or nt, i leave tat to his childcare and P1 teacher in future....lol....i juz trying to train him to clean himself up, eating on his own he hv no problem, but he hv nt yet to learn to buy things on his own as he can be shy at times....

I nv send him to enrichment coz mon to fri he already in full day cc. but i hv send him to learn skating and likely gng to let him learn swimming soon.

;-)

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Hi mummies, this is big headache for me too. My son attends berries since last year - his chinese went from non existent to improving leaps and bounds. We make him do Maths work book every other day about 5 - 10 pages each time. Similarly his maths also improve heaps - only headache is his english reading!!!

He still can't really read!! He attended mindchamps reading and then i pulled him out after not much improvement now at I can read. This is my biggest headache cos i worry if he still can't read by P1 he will be in big trouble!!

September - LOL all mummies think alike i also worry about his poo cleaning skills which i am sure leave much to be desired. LOLOL I bet it's a mess after he poos in school - good luck to the classmates sitting beside him. My son i think ok to order food cos he very socialble type but he has absolutely no concept of money at all - like how much change to get etc.

Anyway now my main worry is his reading and maths. later than worry about the money and wiping backside part LOL.

For primary school, hubby and me will take big gamble, we sold bishan flat away to buy apt at newton to get son into ACS primary or ACS Junior. Our house is 1 KM to ACS primary, ACS Junior and SJI Junior. important investment for us as my no 2 is also a boy and born in the year of the dragon (shudders!!). So all hope is on kor kor. Hubby is methodist so we will apply at phase 2B and if don't get in then will try again in phase 2C. I'm having heart attack just thinking of this!!!!

Great sharing with you guys - so mainly now my preparation for him is reading english and maths. Later part of year will prep him to eat food himself, including cutting the food into smaller pieces which we usually do for him, toilet stuff, looking after his belongings and money issues. He doesn't know how to tell the time too!! FAINTZZZ

Hi Melanie

I had the same concern about my boy who was slow to pick up reading and sent him to mindchamps. It's been over a year already and he's doing well now. How long was your son there? I think it takes some time and a bit of homework on the parents part :) - either my hubby or me will read with him every nite before bedtime. The thing about the mindchamps reading program tat I like the most is the level of engagement in the classroom and how they link all the different activities together with the storybook the kids are reading for tat day. When he's engaged and having fun, he will learn faster. Now, if only his maths can be just as good... :(

can ask the mummies here a question?
is sending ur kid to "branded"school important? or the distance to school is important?

Hi Summer,

I personally think it depends on parents' preference. Both my hubby and myself feel distance is more important, so we are planning to enrol my boy in the school nearest to my house. We can't imagine making him wake up so early to take the school bus or joining the crowd sending him to school everyday. Also, both of us did not come from branded schools but did well enough to get to U, so we thought it's more about how we teach them.

agree..i have been decided on popular school vs a school just accross my flat..in the end, i think the nearest is better especially comes to school exam season... i dun wish my child to be stressed up by its time and travel location to a popular school

Purrpleskies - my boy was at mindchamps only 6 months but i enrol him late like only sept last year so he does not have the luxury of time to go through the mind champ reading program which i find is very engaging and thorough. :) So i pull him out and put him in I can read. Everynight i do berries and yamaha practise with him and hubby does maths with him - end up we got no time to read with him. He reads by himself with the leapfrog pen every night after dinner. We assign him to read one book for about a week and then move on to next book - he reads the book 5 times after dinner.

I used to do flashcards words with him etc - didn't do much good.

Summer22 - i prefer schools that are linked to some sort of religious or moral instituition type cos i think that although studies may be important i would like the school to impart morals and ethics and values to my kids as well. I came from both a govt neighbourhood school and convent school and i can tell you the difference is STARK!! Primary one to three i was from tanglin gals school which merged with Kay Siang primary school to become Xiang Ling primary school then i went to St Anthony's convent from pri 4 to sec 3 then moved to Guangyang sec school in sec 3 - 4 which is near my house. BIG DIFF. Mission schools put more emphasis on morals, ethics, values etc. Govt schools just teach you MOE syllabus and that's it. very obvious diff.

So as a parent i will do everything i can to try my best to get my sons into a good school - if i fail then at least i tried. If they do get into a good school the rest is up to them to make the best of it. Even if they get into a neighbourhood school they will have to make the best of it. Of course, as parents i will not rely on school to teach values etc i will teach at home but given a choice i would prefer a school to impart values plus studies and not just studies. :)

ACS from what i heard does not focus only on studies but rather on an all rounder education to ensure their pupils are well prepared for life as all rounded kids. WISH ME LUCK - hope my boys get in. In terms of distance we will stay about 5 minutes away so no issues there too.

My boy went to Icanread at age 4yrs. He can read without any help.
Pronounciation is very accurate, British standard I could say. Icanread is really good. As for Mandarin, he just started on Han Language School. He find it hard to cope with Hanyu Pinyin.
For Maths and English, he is with Mindstretcher doing lots of worksheets every week. I hope I am preparing him well for primary school. : )

I personally prefer school to be near to my house. Either walking distance or kids can take public transport home easily on their own. It is very taxing to ferry them to and fro especially if you have 2 or more kids.

Eligibility Primary One Registration Phase Registration Dates
For children who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents
Phase 1
For a child who has a sibling studying in the primary school of choice
Thursday, 3 July 2014
Friday, 4 July 2014
Phase 2A(1)
(a) For a child whose parent is a former student of the primary school and who has joined the alumni association as a member not later than 30 June 2013.
(b) For a child whose parent is a member of the School Advisory / Management Committee
Announcement of Results:
By Thursday, 10 July 2014
Tuesday, 8 July 2014
Phase 2A(2)
(a) For a child whose parent or sibling has studied in the primary school of choice
(b) For a child whose parent is a staff member of the primary school of choice
Announcement of Results:
By Thursday, 17 July 2014
Monday, 14 July 2014
Tuesday, 15 July 2014
Phase 2B
(a) For a child whose parent has joined the primary school as a parent volunteer not later than 1 July 2013 and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by 30 June 2014
(b) For a child whose parent is a member endorsed by the church/clan directly connected with the primary school
(c) For a child whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader
Announcement of Results:
By Friday, 25 July 2014
Monday, 21 July 2014
Tuesday, 22 July 2014
Phase 2C
For all children who are eligible for Primary One in the following year and are not yet registered in a primary school
Announcement of Results:
By Wednesday, 6 August 2014
Wednesday, 30 July 2014
Thursday, 31 July 2014
Friday, 1 August 2014
Phase 2C Supplementary
For a child who is not yet registered in a primary school after Phase 2C
Announcement of Results:
By Tuesday, 19 August 2014
Tuesday, 12 August 2014
Wednesday, 13 August 2014
For children who are not Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents1
Phase 3
For a child who is neither a Singapore Citizen nor a Singapore Permanent Resident
Announcement of Results:
By Friday, 14 November 2014
Thursday, 28 August 2014

Citizenship Documents Required
Singapore Citizens
  1. The child’s Birth Certificate
  2. The child’s Singapore Citizenship Certificate for those who are not Singapore Citizens at the time of birth
  3. Singapore NRIC of both parents or Entry / Re-entry Permits of parents if they do not possess Singapore NRIC
  4. The child’s Immunisation Certificates
Singapore Permanent Residents
  2. The child’s Entry/Re-entry Permit
  3. Singapore NRIC of both parents or Entry/Re-entry Permits of parents if they do not possess Singapore NRIC
  4. The child’s Immunisation Certificates
Non-Singapore Citizens / Non-Singapore Permanent Residents
  2. The child’s Passport
  3. The child’s Immigration Exemption Order / Dependant’s Pass (if any)
  4. Both parents’ travel document/Singapore NRIC/Entry or Re-entry Permit/Employment Pass/Work Permit
  5. The child’s Immunisation Certificates

Hi everyone.
I'm staying in Sembawang. My girl will enrol P1 next year.
I'm thinking of registering her to Wellington Primary School. Any comments and advice that can share with me?

Have a good day!

Dear Parents who are going to register their child to primary school this year.

Starting primary school is a big step in your child’s life. To help you better understand primary school programme and make key decisions such as choosing a primary school that is best suited to your child, the Ministry of Education will be conducting 5 seminars on Preparing Your Child for Primary School at different areas of Singapore.

At each seminar, you will hear from a school principal on primary school education and the P1 registration process, and from a parent representative about how you may partner the school in supporting your child in his/her primary school journey. Also, look forward to viewing the showcases of other participating schools in the above areas, to find out more about the exciting programmes that our primary schools offer!

Admission is free and registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. For more information or to register, please visit: www.moeparentseminar.sg

Having the kids school near the house, + a school bus service perhaps, would be great. The kids can catch enough sleep, dont have to wake up too early and time spent travelling is limited.

My stress is more of finding the right tutor ,economical fees, and deciding which subjects need enrichment..besides,home teaching after work..to me, a school that is nearest will be the best..

I put my son to I can read in October 2014, and I see improvement. From cannot read to now can read most of his math instruction and English worksheet from school.

And now just started to send him to berries, how can see improvement. Non Chinese speaking kid :(

Back