I Can Read / MindChamps or any others?

Hi,

Am looking for a school that teaches phonics... my k1 daughter has problems with phonics and thus she can't seem to use the sounds to make up words..

Any comments on I Can Read and Mind Champs?? Will be happy if any mummies can offere any experiences you have with them...

My son was previously with mindchamps reading program when he was in N2. Before he started, he could only do his alphabets. He is now reading independently and even knows how to choose what he likes to read JJJ
He enjoys going to the mindchamps classes and began to pick up books on his own instead of toys all the time. After each class, there are also homework for the parent to do with the child and suggested readings. It is very useful so I can talk about things he is familiar with and helps us choose the right books for his age. The teacher is also very approachable and share with me his weakness so we can help reinforce at home.
For I can read, I find that it really serves what it says, which is to be able to read but not necc understand. Both programs have assessment before yr child goes into the program which u shld let yr child try. Mindchamps assessment is very detailed and the trainer will explain to you all the 5 or 6 areas yr child is assessed on. I can read assessment is much simplier and I don’t find the results very helpful.
I know their reading program is also incorporated into their preschool and build into their school fees, so if u are considering a preschool its really value for money.

,my advise to you
find a cc - find the a good phonics teacher at community centre
my kid who totally cant read - done great job with this way of learning

dont have to spend thousand of dollars ..

My boy is currently in mindchamps reading program. It is a 2-hr weekly lesson which incorporates story telling, games, coloring and of course reading. One thing I like about mindchamps is the way they able to motivate the kids to read. My boy has become more outspoken and the willingness to do show and tell. His program is 3.2k for a year which is about $267 mthly.

Last edited:
I like the bilingual environment in Mindchamps Preschool. There is one english and one chinese teacher for each class. My son can now converse well in both english and mandarin. His speech and writing for both language has improved a lot in just a few months. I’m very grateful to all the teachers who sometimes go the extra mile to help him feel special and loved.

I just sent my boy to Lcentral instead, after comparing both I can read & Lcentral vs Montessori phonics.
comparing at the standard, i think Lcentral is higher compared to I can read.
He will have his 1st lesson next Sat, i hope he can progress well & enjoy his learning process.

My ds is in mindchamps reading & writing program now. He's very easily distracted and have short attention span but at mindchamps he's having lotsa fun learning in class and the teachers are great and managed to engage my son. I've seen them use this new phonics app on ipad in class. Quite interesting coz there is a voice reading the book, singing and there are also activities in the app that they do in class to help the children learn better. This app will be available for us to download and use at home to reinforce my son's learning. Good effort coz it will solve my problem of choosing books to read to my son.

I sent my boy to British Council Programmes since he was K2. My boy is P1 now. He's been doing great. He is very happy and always looking forward to go to his Sunday class. I think that is the most important. Personally I like the teachers there because they focus alot on indepence of the child and the beauty of English Language instead of the typical drill and drill style. I think our kids had enough of that from main stream school. Just my 2 cents worth :)

Hi,

Am looking for a school that teaches phonics... my k1 daughter has problems with phonics and thus she can't seem to use the sounds to make up words..

Any comments on I Can Read and Mind Champs?? Will be happy if any mummies can offere any experiences you have with them...

Hi EVERYBODY,

I heard of KidzLiteracyCove around serangoon, they have phonics workshops which help the kids recognize words and learn new ones. Not sure about the age though, i think it's 3-5 years old. But they have other workshops as well.

Hi Mummies,

any advice on CC around Mountbatten area? my looking for one for my son (2+)...read from some other treads that MindChamps is good, i just find that the fee is high...any advice on other cc around Mountbatten? anyone send their kids to my first skool, cherie hears, child first, yuquan?

thanks much

actually I agree with subaki. maybe you can see where u can find centres teaching phonics. just go for phonic classes to start. My son was in I can Read and their spelling list was very long. Foundation through the phonics should be better.

my son is in I can read programme then after that the center was bought over by my english sch. So far so good, he is there almost 2 years already. now in reading class. I felt that it does show progress in terms of reading progress. Now, k1, they are learning spelling to get used to the motion for P1 prep.

I just sent my boy to Lcentral instead, after comparing both I can read & Lcentral vs Montessori phonics.
comparing at the standard, i think Lcentral is higher compared to I can read.
He will have his 1st lesson next Sat, i hope he can progress well & enjoy his learning process.

Would like to ask is Lcentral good?

I usually click on "Show unread posts since last visit" but I've just found that 2 posts just will not go away despite me having read them. Is anyone else having this problem and is it because I've gone and done something silly?

Peter

Back