**WORRIES** MOMMIES**

pink_minnie

Dear daddies/ mommies,

My daughter is 18month old she can't talk not even calling PA PA or MA MA [IMG=http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] is it normal? Asked my PD on our vaccination visit he suggest us to 'Speech Tereapy' is it normal? **worries...** What should i do?

Aside with the talking, she can't even walk independently! Motorskill slow is it proper for her at this age? Anything i can or i shall do to help her? Spend $ to go Gym will it help? At times we bring her to places like, Hokey Pokey, etc....

Usually girls talk at earlier age than boys. I advocate early intervention (speech therapy) in case there is developmental delay. My son started late at 2 plus and he only talks more than a year later. Better be safe than sorry.

If cost is a factor, go polyclinics and get referral to KKH child development centre. Do note that there is quite a long waiting time.

For private speech therapy can cost more than $100 per 45mins session.

Thanks Jovials.

I understand for girl usually they talk much more earlier then boys but i just couldnt admit that my girl is having delay in her developmental.. beside that, she does bubbler alot, she does point to stuff she want but just refuse to talk... When she was seen by her PD at her age of 10month we was told, her motor skill are mainly slower then other...

Not saying that you girl definately have developmental delay but better be safe than sorry. In any case, as mentioned, there is a long waiting period to see developement doctors. Why not get the process started and observe in the mean time.

Not trying to scare you but my son does point to stuff he want and blabber.

By right they should be saying 2 words by 18 mths. It could be a sign of developmental delay. My son was not talking n bo eye contact at that age. After that he was formally diagnosed as autistic. Jovialz is right, better be safe than sorry. Start early to see the developmental doctor. Before that, buy the necessary insurance cos once it's formally diagnosed, no insurance company will take you in. This happened in my son's case.

I don't mean to scare you. Just speaking from my experience.

Back