Advice Needed: Any Mummy who put baby in infant care centre ?

Hi ddtan,

I stayed very nearby with my mum so she will cooked dinner for us. That really helps alot! She is the alternative caregiver though I try not to trouble her.. so in previous job, I still will take leave, like if my boy misses IFC for 3 days, I take 2 days, she help me to take care one day kind of arrangement..

Since you are comfortable with the nanny, then at least when he is with the nanny, things are more relax for you after work. At least your boy has taken dinner and cleaned and changed into pyjamas. Much much easier!

I can't recall when he can self feed!!??? I think is somewhere after 1 yr and before 18th month because the IFC teachers are teaching all the ready infants how to self feed, especially before the promotion to toddlers class.

But now at home, he don't self feed. After he gets over the novalty of it, he wants us to feed him..

hi pastries,
The nanny we are comfortable with in the end preferred to take care of babies.. she took up a new baby staying near her place. :-(
Was quite disappointed even though we confirm her early...
Finally, we decided to send my son to my gals' cc ... mainly due to convenience to pick up both kids and close walking distance to my place so I can pick up the kids immediately after work instead of waiting for my hb to knock off which is usually later. And also mainly we know the school and teachers well so if anything, we can feedback to them.

Hb and I also prefer that he learn something in cc than to watch TV whole day in nanny's place. Cons is that both hb and myself have to work harder to prepare dinner after work and feed and bath my 2 kids.

Hope my son will not fall sick so easily as he starts the new cc next Tues :)

Your IFC seems to do quite a lot of things to prepare your son.. like self-feed. etc.

My IFC did not do any of those... I requested that they cook some rice/noodles for my son's lunch or for older kids to better prepare them to eat more solid food.. but was rejected by the principal as they said they only serve porridge for infants group.

ddtan,
my gal's ifc also start putting her on 1 nap a day & other cc routines, plus self feed training. self feed started after she had better control of her hand-eye coordination. she also had bb food till she officially went over to cc side. but quite ok for me, cos i dun give her mashy food at hm. sometimes, i also pack home cooked food for her to ifc, thus she gets a variety of texture & taste

juju78,
wow, which IFC was your gal in ? My boy is in My First Skool and they did not teach self-feeding. When my son reach 17mths, I kind of panic as he was not introduced to solid food then in school or at home. Started to feed him rice and noodles only at home and after 1 or 2 tries, found he like them more than porridge. But now, still dun take much bread or pancake etc. Dun know why he dislikes it.

BTW, which cc did you enrolled your gal in now ? Can i know how much they charge for school fees ?

ddtan,
my first skool also. i guess it depends on the teachers thr. they encourage self-feeding once the tots looks like they r ready. they only feed porridge in sch, i will cook rice wif soup & pasta/noodles at hm. my gal loves carbo food, bread, pancake, etc, tchrs always comment she take 2 servings!
she's transitted to my first skool cc, cos both the ifc & cc r located at the blk opp my plc. after working mum subs, its $400-ish a mth

Hi mummies,
My child is also in infant care.
At first I was also worried about all sorts of things.... even teared the first few days when we left him there.

But now that I think back, considered a better choice, I believe :)

Some queries:
My boy is now 14 months old. Understand he needs more solid intake. After fetching him back from IFC, we reach home around 7pm. Will normally give him some milk for the night.

Do you all cook for your child?
Any simple/faster recipes to share?
Thanks in advance!!

hi teng,
wat i did for my gal back then, was to choose frm the following:
- bread/biscuits + milk
- instant cereal
- instant bb food (jar/food pouch)
- use slow cooker or thermal cooker to cook porridge

if u scroll up, think some mummies pre-cook extra stock & freeze into mini portions to take out & cook wif porridge every nite, then add some meat/fish

Hello mummies, my 5 and a half month baby is in infantcare. I don't know anyone else who have children in infantcare. Hoping to get some help on this forum. My baby is going to start semi solids soon. The centre will feed him lunch of cereal and later porridge when he is 7 months. I will have to take care of his solids for dinner. How do you know when baby is ready for two semi solid meals? Do you get the center to feed milk before you pick up and then feed solids when u reach home? Thanks!

Hi Juju,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, think I missed your msg.

Johanna,

Same here, I was hoping to get some support from here too :)

But I will normally try to get the centre to feed him a heavier meal around 5pm such as cereal so that in case we didn't cook in the evening, milk and bread will be able to last him through.

I rem when I first started baby on semi solids (around 5months), it was cereal first for 2 meals eg: noon and dinner time, the rest all milk feeds.

Then around 7months, I started 1 cereal (noon) and 1 porridge, around 5pm. And around 8mths, when he's used to porridge, we will use slow cooker to cook 2 porridge meals at one go.... again, around noon and 5pm....

Around 10-11 months or so, I rem our feedings were like :

7am : Milk
10am : A bowl of cereal or bread
12-1pm : Porridge (when he wakes up)
3pm : Milk
5.30pm - 6pm : Porridge
8.30pm : Milk
and if he haven't sleep by 11pm, another milk feed, else, he should be in bed by 10pm, unless we are out.

In infant care, they will adjust him to solids slowly... one thing good about infant care is, they are trained/educated in infant meals and infant care. Honestly, at home, we go by trial and error..... I only put my boy in at 12 months so the transition period is already over... just felt that at home, we really go by trial and error until a certain routine gets put into place...

Honestly, even at 12 months, I was soooooo apprehensive about putting baby in there but we didn't really have many other choices... in fact, I was worrying about how baby is coping for 1st 2 weeks but slowly... my hubby and myself saw that it could have been a better choice then maids/nannies/parents who have their own trial and error methods of handling things too haha :)

Sorry for the long post...

Just out of curiosity, which infantcare are you with?

Back