How does yr toddler sleep?

triciah

hi, just wonndering how your toddlers go to nap or sleep at nite.. do u still have to pat them to sleep or can they go to sleep themselves if they are tired? my boy is 22 mths and i still have to pat him for a longggg time before he sleeps
sad.gif

My boy is going 3 this coming November, n he has to hold my hands before he can go to bed. He used to need me to sing to him till he fall asleep
sad.gif

I tried to make him zzz himself, but it has caused him(n me) a lot of 'grief', n he keep getting nightmares, cannot sleep well, cannot eat well.. .. I gave in n gave up 'forcing' him. I decided not to force him, as I feel eventually he will wean himself off me
happy.gif

Anyway, I met a mommy whose kid is now in his teenage years, n she told me to cherish this period, when your boy sticks to you like a leech, as chances are, when he grows up, he wouldn't want to anymore. Honestly, for a while, I was very irritated, n upset, n annoyed that my boy is so 'sticky', but I realised what the other mommy said is true, they will grow up, n by then, there will be no turning back of time.

Cheer up! You are not alone
happy.gif

My 3yo son sleeps on his own when it's bed time...he has been doing that since he is about 2yo. I dun want him to get the habit of patting so beginning stage I just sleep in the same room with him until he falls asleep and I will go back to my room. Now I will just close the door and he will fall asleep on his own. Give your boy more time to adjust to sleeping on their own.
happy.gif

my daughter is 21mth-old now. when it's bed time I'll sleep by her side wait till she finish her milk. then sing 5~6 songs with her. last song must be the 'teddy-bear-say-goodnite' song. :p then will kiss her tell her mummy go to wash milk bottle. she will fall asleep on her own. she sleep in her own room now.

at first must go check on her every 5mins, then slowly increase the interval. Now i only check on her after 30mins. most of the time she alr fall asleep by then.
sometime she will request me to stay with her longer. then I will sing another few songs for her lor.
happy.gif

Tricia

My boy is 21 month old. Sometimes we will pat him. Sometimes he will listen to songs (CD) until he fall asleep. but if he is too tired, he will fall asleep by himself. Curently he's sleeping with me in the same bedroom and i have no intention to move him out of my room cos in the middle of the night he will pull me down from my bed to sleep on mattress with him.

actually sun flower is right... when our boy reach teens, they wont even want to walk beside us, let alone "touching" them. whenever my son sticks to me, I'll be more than happy cos is only a few short years that he will stick to mommy.

hi mummies, thanks for sharing! yes, i also agree that im happy too that my boy 'sticks' to me, but just feel that he, like many other toddlers can sleep more easily. sometimes after singing or patting for near to an hour then he would sleep! even though he's very tired but still wanna jump or play.
guess i spoilt him from young by patting and carrying too much. now irreversible, heheh... so envious of mummies whose toddlers have much less difficulty sleeping
happy.gif

I dont habitually pat my children to bed. My mum will do tt since they were young n sometimes i had to when she's ard aft she told me too. Luckily my children knows grandma pats n i dont heheh
happy.gif
. Sometimes they will ask me to pat them. My 21mths yo son will take my hand n pat himself (indicating he wants to be patted) when I'm feeding him. It's always for a little while though. I'm a lazing mummy. Moreover more interaction is a distraction for him to doze off.

My children still needs me b4 bedtime n i still do sleep w them at times. Sometimes DH join in the children's room too.

Still hasnt successfully get my 4yo DD n 21mths DS to sleep by themselves or sleep early at all times. Yesterday they both slept at abt 12midnite n aft I got fed-up n told them off. the son went off without his bm...n din wake up middle of the nite. In fact both din wake up middle of the nite. v rare occasion.

Mine, 6 & 4, sleeps on their own in their own room. The 6 year old has been sleeping solo since she was born, the 4 year old, about 1 +. We have settled into a routine, brush teeth, toilet, milk, good night hugs and kiss, sleep.

tricia
think there is no right or wrong abt their sleeping habits lor. so long as all of us are comfortable in whatever we do, think good enough

Dear mummies,

My girl is 2.5 yo, I am trying to wean her off the nite feed. Have been trying for 2 months.She takes a bottle of milk before she goes to bed and on successful occassions, in fact for 2 consecutive weeks will only ask for milk at around 7 plus in the morning. However, for the past 2 wks, she had asked for it at around 5 plus or 6 plus in the morning again!

She takes rice during dinner and a bottle of milk before going to bed which I think shld be able to last her over nite.

How are your kids doing? How do you wean them off? Please help, thanks.

JJB... my boy is 15 months old and I haven't been able to completely wean him off night feeding as well. There will still be nights when he needs another bottle and some times he is ok until the next morning.

I was quite desperate to get him to stop waking up for milk in the middle of the night because I was worried it will be more a habit than anything... until one night when he woke up crying badly and his tummy was growling. I then gave up trying to wean him and just let nature take its course. Frankly it is not good for his gastric if he goes hungry for too long.

Every kid is different. Some has higher metabolism rate and can burn faster so needs to be fed more often (since their stomach is still so small and can only contain so much in one go). Don't worry too much. I'm sure your girl will grow out of it eventually when she is older and can eat more for dinner.

If you are really desperate... maybe you can increase her milk or push back the feeding time before she goes to bed? Does she usually finish the milk you give during night feed?

My daughter is 18mths now.. Her last feed is around 1030-1100..

6 months ago, she wakes up one feed but i diluted her milk ..(usually 3scope for 180ml milk.. i gave her one and half scope for 150ml)so eventually.. she stop waking up at night...

I think not making them the milk upon immediately waking in the middle of the night helps. Just try to drag the timing and hope they fall asleep again. My girl takes the pacificer, so intially when i hear her making noises, I will give her the pacifier, only when she cries really badly then milk. she was off middle night feeds at 5 mths, with a last milk mixed with 2 spoons of cereal feed at 9+pm.

Hi mummies, need some advice on letting my girl sleep in her own room safely.

My girls sleeps on mattress on the floor in my room now. Plannig to let her sleep in her own room. But has some safety concerns: I'm worried that she will wake up and play with things in her room that may be dangerous, such as playing with switches or trying to open cabinets and drawers.

I have a haneim playyard but do not want to use it to surround her mattress cos there's her play area.

Any advice?

Are you planning to let her sleep on the bed or on the floor? Does she habitually wake up at night?

My girl moved into the room with her siblings at just after 1yrs. She was the slowest amongst her siblings... her brother moved into the nursery by himself at 7mths, her sister into the nursery with the brother at 10mths, and she joined them at around 12mths. They all slept in a playpen at that time, moving into a regular bed with bed rails all round at around 18mths, then down to only one bed rail along the length of the bed (the other side is the wall) after some time, when we were sure they would not fall off. I can't remember when we weaned them off the rail altogether.

As for waking up and playing with stuff... our room is baby proofed. So, so far so good.

hope that helps.

Hi moms,

I have 2 kids (elder daughter 4 yrs 5mths, younger son 23 months).

Since my eldest one was born, she slept with us in the same room on a different bed (in her cot till she's about 7mths, then on a single bed, on the floor, next to my side of the bed). Then she moved on to a toddler bed when she's around 2, I think.

When I had my 2nd baby (she's around 2.5 yrs old at the time), the four of us share the master bedroom together
happy.gif
I find it easier and more convenient for me because I breastfed the baby exclusively.

When the small one was around 19 months old, both of them moved to another room (both of them share the same room). We've been talking to the kids for a few weeks before the Day, how they'll be big enough to move to their own room one day ... and they've (the sister, especially) been looking forward to that day. And when that day came, they're very excited
happy.gif

And no, I never get into the habit of patting my kids to sleep. They fall asleep on their own, but till now I still need to accompany them in their bedroom. when the younger one has fallen asleep, then I'd leave their bedroom (the older sister can fall asleep by herself though I'm not in the room)

They both sleep at the same time at night, and sometimes the small one can wake up at night and comes to my room, and so I usually take him back to his room, wait till he falls asleep before I return to the master bedroom (sometimes I get too sleepy and fall asleep in their room till morning!) Thankfully, after a few days, he doesn't wake up much throughout the night (ie. sleeps through till about 8.30am)

Hope the info helps
happy.gif

xxx
Leonny
http://www.oureverydaythings.com
- Loving Life with Children, Everyday

Hi.
My 2 and 3 year old daughters sleep when the lights are turned off and I lie down beside them. If I do not sleep with them, they usually will cry and look for me.After a few minutes of lying down, they have already fallen asleep.

Hi, when my kids were younger,I have to hold their hands and pat them to sleep. That happens for only a few months. Interestingly I noticed that they crunch into a ball just before they are going to wake up.

My baby is 16 months old. Yes it's a great struggle to make him fall asleep. But what we do is, we don't let him long naps during the day. During the night time we create a quite environment for him e.g we turn the lights dim, cuddle him frequently, minimize the noise, and also the most important thing is we give him warm bath every night. These things help him to fall asleep easily. I can't forget those days when he used to cry all night and we had no idea what to do as its our first child. So searched ways and thanks to God, I found some tricks for toddler sleep here. Yes we have to do little struggle regularly, but it helps a lot to make him fall asleep easily. This struggle is thousands time better than those nights when we used to stay awake all night and used to try different ways to make him fall asleep.

Unfreckled immunoreaction
Ransacking decigrams
Slung epicuticular

Back