Any good CHILDREN'S BOOKS to share?

mamatruck

Hi mummies,
My kids love to read and we visit the library twice a month. Would like to buy some books but want to find out what are some of the good books in the market.

Would appreciate if any mummy can share with us what good books you've read before or would like to recommend. (Welcome titles for any age group)

Hope the list can add on so that all mummies can use this thread as a reference too!

Here are some good books that I would like to share:-

1. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
-for all age gp

2. One Hundren Hungry Ants by Elinor J. Pinczes (Scholastic)
-for preschoolers & lower primary to teach number concepts

3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- for newborns to preschoolers

4. The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
- for preschoolers

5. Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see? by Bill Martin
- For toddlers and preschoolers

6. The Race by Christobel Mattingley (Scholastic)
- for lower primary

7. The Prince who wrote a letter by Ann Love
- For lower Primary

Our latest favorite:
Please write in this book by Mary Amato (call no in library: AMO)
strongly recommend this comics for lower primary as this will not only make you and your child have a good laugh but also teach them basic idea of journaling. It makes writing so simple and fun to everybody.
PS, I love the teacher in this book also so also recommend this book to teachers.

and here's my recommendations from son's 1st year booklist:

Ruby Flew Too (Jonathan Emmett, Rebecca Harry)
Abadaba Alphabet
Good Night Gorilla (Peggy Rathman)
Jesse Bear What Will You Wear
Owl Babies
Goodnight Moon (Margaret Wise)
Snuggle Puppy (Sandra Boynton)
Prayer For A Child (Rachel Field)
My First Nursery Rhymes (Ladybird)
Peekaboo Zoo (Lamaze)

Hi lynn ,
U mean the title is "Please write in this book"? Sounds interesting!

Hi marble,
Thanks for providing this add. There are indeed alot if good books and many new books to me. Will chk them out slowly....

Thanks both for sharing and hope you can revisit this thread to add in your latest favourites again. C ya!

Hi mamatruck,.

No prob. good things must share..
happy.gif

For chinese books, I realised very hard to find good ones out there. I just came across a good distributor lately..

check this out : http://www.epadlearning.com/

they have a booth/wagon in Westmall now, if you want to browse physically.

Hi marble,

Thanks again, you are really resourceful. Ya, chinese books hard to find, even may not get suitable ones in the library.

Popular newest collection from Novum Organum, quite good. Teaches different values for each story.
Author: Yang Hong Ying, come in a series of 5 books.
$2.50/bk for members now! (UP: $3.50)

Highly recommend rod campbell's books including Noisy Farm, Dear Zoo, I'm HungryN for toddlers!
Karen katz and elizabeth verdick for learning good manners!

QuixoticQueen,

Thanks for sharing.

Want to recommend "Another Sommer-Time Story Series" by Carl Sommer. Character education books with titles like "Can you help me find my smile?(Caring)", "No longer a dilly dally"(Responsibility), "No one will ever know"(Honesty), etc.

More infor - http://www.advancepublishing.com/

Hope to see more mummies sharing with us the good books that you have read.

Happy Reading To All!

Hi all,

You may like to check out this book - "Bean Thirteen" by Matthew McElligott's.

An interesting book written with a little humour, can be read as just a story or used it to teach children number concepts like odd/even no., sharing, counting.

Hi all,

You may like to check out this book - "Bean Thirteen" by Matthew McElligott's.

An interesting book written with a little humour, can be read just as a story or use it to teach children number concepts like odd/even no., sharing, counting.

this thread is useful!

i'm at a bottleneck now in choosing books for my little one. time to stock up again!

some of my dd's fav:

Pat the Bunny (very interactive, great for toddlers)
Where is Baby's Belly Button
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (very nice groove to learning the alphabet)
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?

Btw, are there any '06 mums here who're interested in forming a bookclub for kids?

Basically, we read a good book and each mom contributes a little craft or activity idea that's related to the book.

If anyone is keen, do PM me!

I've been reading Shirley Hughes's stories to my girl lately (Alfie gets in first, Alfie's feet), and she loves them! They're available at the library, as most good books are.
happy.gif

Hi mummies,

I too would like to recommend the books from Educational Technologies. So far the books that has been shared are those fictional books while these set of books are divided into knowledge, maths, values and skills books which are in story form but children have to solve riddles or puzzles before moving on. My children learnt so much from these books and my p2 girl who has to do research will go to these books to find information rather than googling in the internet.
Those interested to know more can email me at [email protected] or call me at 91789772.

Hi, would like to recommend another interesting book, Zuzu's Wishing Cake, written by Linda Michelin & illustrated by D. B. Johnson. Pay attention to its illustrations - many fun and hands-on crafts to do with your kids!

Btw, for very early readers I would recommend Dr Seuss books. For primary sch kids, you can try Geronimo stilton books. the pages are colourful and verbs are highlighted so kids get to learn. Likewise you can try Osborne books which are educational and very popular ( for those who hunt books they will know . ;p) & you can also try Magic Tree house series ... It really depends on how old your child is to get a correct book for reading.. I will always recommend children to start reading from young to lay a proper foundation for english.

Hi mummies,
I also recommend the following board books for infants and toddlers:
1. The Going To Bed Book by Sandra Boynton
2. Too Big for Diapers by Random House
3. Mama, Do you Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse
These books can go a long way because of its thick pages.

For good illustrations, look for books that have won the Caldecott Medal or Honor, you can just run a quick google search for the list. You can think of the Caldecott as the "Oscars" of kids' books.

These books are truly works of art, in terms of both illustrations and the writing. There's often a moral to the story as well. Of course you may not fall in love with all of them, but the standards are very high indeed -- puts those Disney, Barbie and other gimmicky kids' books to shame.

Many of the Caldecott winners are available at the National Lib.

I've recommended a few on my blog, here:
http://thebottomsupblog.com/?cat=10

Hey Children! Check out this latest book by award winning author Jessica Alejandro. Written to entertain first and then educate, this book is both hilarious and exciting! By the end of the book, you would have learnt a little something about cyber-safety, honesty and the beauty of the inner person. Of course, there are lots of displays of special powers/abilities by the characters that you will enjoy too! Do you see yourself in one of them? READ ON...
Get your copy from the library or any bookstore in Singapore!

www.facebook.com/EXLOSERS

8125537.jpg

Back