IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi sisters

When I checked in at KK for ET yesterday (Sat), I saw the big note on my folder that says "No ET". The final 6 thawed oocytes didn't make it to ET. Dr Tan HH informed me that egg factor is an issue (Im 37 yo). This was the first time I heard about it after 6 years of IVF - and it was significant as I now know that both DH and I have issues that make it extremely difficult to conceive. All this time, we thought it was only male factor. Greed or irrationale took over and I immediately asked for a note to start on my 3rd fresh, though I have told myself this is the last attempt ever and I have promised my husband who was adamant at stopping. No harm bagging an option first, I figured.

Numbed myself the whole day and tried my best not to flare up at the little one or DH. Didn't dare broach the topic of the 3rd fresh with DH. Kept replaying all perspectives to myself.

(1) I pondered DH's reaction if I were to ask to try again - his main concern is his age and stamina - he is 41yo. My request would erode the trust he placed in me and I really have no grounds to ask him to try again....

(2) I asked how I should handle the fact that I could never give the LO a sibling. How I need to change my life so that I can be happy again, how I can be a good parent to an only child, how I can be a good wife to my DH (relationship has been strained after so many years of differences on IVF)....

(3) At 37yo and with both male & female factor issues, I worry about the quality of the embryoes - especially when we had a 13 week miscarriage and that was explained as chromosomal defects. Is this destiny's way of protecting me and my family - that we should treasure and lead our life as a simple family of three?

(4) I looked back at how empty I have become as a person - a crazy/mad woman chasing IVF, FETs, TCM, religion, putting on weight due to the injections and never finding the motivation to regain my regular healthy weight, losing interest in work or social because I had this dark battle with infertility going on. Although I had my LO through IVF, truth is it has plagued me and my marriage for >10 years by now... After the LO came along, the pressure of providing a sibling is no less.

36 hours after my "No ET on my last FET", I am more inclined towards calling it a day. The emotions are heart-wrenching and tormenting. I once got a lot at Waterloo Street - what is yours is destined to be yours.

This forum has been the single strongest pillar of support through my 6 years of IVF. Sisters who have shed tears of sorrow and joy for each other.. thank you. I am not giving up... I am letting go and trusting in destiny to bring what's best for my family in life.

@mesara @Shinkirou @Baby1979 @joeykw @tsf0205 @char-mee @queenie122009 @meganl @hopeful13 @wondersss @jas249 @lovetohavekids @shiro_ger - thank you and hugz. Wishing you ladies fruitfulness on your journeys and remember to sprinkle baby dust on us :)

I totally feel you. We are same situation. I told myself the 2nd fresh will be my last fresh n was so happy i was pregnant, too bad was short lived. N ocassionally i still think of starting a 3rd fresh. I kept thinking, when will i ever give up? I also feel i wasnt really a happy person for the past 3 to 4 yrs... Its like something undone. I am not good in expressing my thoughts n really totally feel you on point no 4!

Take a break first n decide what u really want. Pple tell me 37 is not old. So there is still hope, its whether u are willingly to try again. I am half hearted now too.

37 is not old. I am 40. And I failed 3 iui, 3 ivf. Did not manage to get pregnant at all. No matter how hard we tried. For 10 long years. Go temple, go tcm blah blah.

Treasure what you have now. Life is too short to be sad over what you can't achieve. Focus on what you have. Your #1, your family, your friends and most importantly the man who loves you. This is life, isn't it?

37 is not old. I am 40. And I failed 3 iui, 3 ivf. Did not manage to get pregnant at all. No matter how hard we tried. For 10 long years. Go temple, go tcm blah blah.

Treasure what you have now. Life is too short to be sad over what you can't achieve. Focus on what you have. Your #1, your family, your friends and most importantly the man who loves you. This is life, isn't it?

Contentment is key isn't it?
Those trying for #1 will have hard time understanding the feelings of those trying for #2, as getting #1 seem already mission impossible.
Take care and all the best to all trying for #1!

Hi purpledragon,
Sorry to hear about that. Sorry to ask further. Including FE too? I'm preparing my 3rd fresh. 2nd cycle didn't not yield any extras to freeze but 2 extras from 1st.

7dp3dt into my 2 ww. I'm not feeling anything since transfer, no cramp, no spotting, no sore boobs and not even bloatedness. The wait is getting me all flustered, so it maybe good for me to go back work on Monday. Just worried that if AF comes when I'm at work, I cannot take it and break down in office. Not v professional lah...

I'm also 37 & am the only married woman among my friends who wants to but still haven't have a kid. This certainly puts a lots of stress but life goes on.

Hi purpledragon,
Sorry to hear about that. Sorry to ask further. Including FE too? I'm preparing my 3rd fresh. 2nd cycle didn't not yield any extras to freeze but 2 extras from 1st.

I got no extra at all. First cycle all not matured. 2nd and 3rd only got one matured but can't fertilise at all.

7dp3dt into my 2 ww. I'm not feeling anything since transfer, no cramp, no spotting, no sore boobs and not even bloatedness. The wait is getting me all flustered, so it maybe good for me to go back work on Monday. Just worried that if AF comes when I'm at work, I cannot take it and break down in office. Not v professional lah...

I'm also 37 & am the only married woman among my friends who wants to but still haven't have a kid. This certainly puts a lots of stress but life goes on.

I can only say try not to be affected by external factor cos end of the day you are not living with nor for them.

My stress is hubby and I really love kids alot. Sometimes we even pretend we got baby and ask each other to go carry cos baby is crying. And we will talk about how he going to cane the kids and how I going to cane him back if he dare.

Sometimes I tell myself if no kids we can go many holidays as and when we like. If hubby travel for work, I can tag along. But I will still think of the regrets if we got no kids when we are very old.

Char-mee,

Be patient, some people has no symptoms at all. I understand the wait is not easy for us.
There are many hurdles to pass, 2ww if BFP will be followed by another 2 ww for scan and for IVF to clear you before you go to your own gynae, which will be followed by another scan in 6 weeks, 8 weeks......etc

Actually the waiting game for us is never ending. You will best know what is the best arrangement for you. I know sometimes its boring at home and you wish to go to work to keep your minds off things. IMHO I feel just take the rest that the doc has gave you...its given for a reason.;)

Hi, I just got bfp yesterday. Do not have symptoms at all during 2ww. So it might not be a bad thing.

Hi Ladies,

Anyone care to share about the short cycle for IVF. I was on the long protocol for my first.
My understanding was that long protocol can yield more eggs?
This time my doc has changed to the short cycle due to time constraint.
Whats the difference in the time frame?

TIA

No symptom is also a good thing. Watch a funny drama or variety show to pass time :)

I am also in 2ww and decided to go back to work part time this week. It was much better for my mental well-being as I could not obsess over TTC at work.

I know everyone is different, but when I am on progesterone, my period doesn't come. It only comes in 2 days after stopping the progesterone.

Keep Calm!

jiayou and all the best purpledragon. 40 yrs old is not too old. im 42 , still trying too. end of the day, if God deem it not fit for us to have our own babies, we can go adopt one . there r many kids waiting to be loved . of course adoption may not be the ideal situation for some . however, if plan A is not happening, lets have a plan B on standby. U never know, an adopted child could give more joy and satisfaction, may turned out to be more filial as that child will be forever grateful to u for giving him or her a great new life . there are many positive aspects of adoption . there are also options like donr eggs doner sperms ..hugs to all ladies of courage here.remember - DONT GIVE UP! DONT GIVE UP !

Thanks.

thanks ladies for all your encouragement. Really put a smile on my face as I read on... Thanks :)
This support group is wonderful

I am also in 2ww and decided to go back to work part time this week. It was much better for my mental well-being as I could not obsess over TTC at work.

I know everyone is different, but when I am on progesterone, my period doesn't come. It only comes in 2 days after stopping the progesterone.

Keep Calm!

I went back to work straight in the afternoon after ET. I think we shd not restrict n stress ourself too much. Live everyday as per normal. =p

Today is my d15p3t and i m into my 3rd day of spotting. I dare not test at home to see the results.. My bt is due on 28th june. Its getting me confused if my AF is coming..

Hi Ladies,

Anyone care to share about the short cycle for IVF. I was on the long protocol for my first.
My understanding was that long protocol can yield more eggs?
This time my doc has changed to the short cycle due to time constraint.
Whats the difference in the time frame?

TIA
I had long protocol for my first and short for my second and third cycles.

First cycle: inject 6 wks. I had 30 eggs but only 2 were usable for transfer. BFN.

Second cycle: inject 2 wks. I had 28 eggs (can't be certain). Had 3 usable for transfer. Put in 2 and froze one. BFP 2nd fresh with a baby girl. FET BFN.

Third cycle: inject 2 wks. I had 16 eggs and 5 usable for transfer. Put in 2 and froze 3. BFN. Waiting to do FET.

Personally, I prefer the short cycle cos my menses and ovulation are v regular. I don't think the intervening of my normal cycle is necessary. Both short cycles were very predictable and went on smoothly without any issue.

I had the most eggs on my first cycle but I only had 2 usable eggs. Either egg quality not good or the sperm not good. I also had bad pain after the first cycle's ER. I feel if women's menstrual cycle and ovulation is ok, the short cycle might be better. Less injections. Shorter period of stress.

I had long protocol for my first and short for my second and third cycles.

First cycle: inject 6 wks. I had 30 eggs but only 2 were usable for transfer. BFN.

Second cycle: inject 2 wks. I had 28 eggs (can't be certain). Had 3 usable for transfer. Put in 2 and froze one. BFP 2nd fresh with a baby girl. FET BFN.

Third cycle: inject 2 wks. I had 16 eggs and 5 usable for transfer. Put in 2 and froze 3. BFN. Waiting to do FET.

Personally, I prefer the short cycle cos my menses and ovulation are v regular. I don't think the intervening of my normal cycle is necessary. Both short cycles were very predictable and went on smoothly without any issue.

I had the most eggs on my first cycle but I only had 2 usable eggs. Either egg quality not good or the sperm not good. I also had bad pain after the first cycle's ER. I feel if women's menstrual cycle and ovulation is ok, the short cycle might be better. Less injections. Shorter period of stress.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Appreciate it

Hi all,

Im new in this forum. Jus started my first ivf process two weeks ago..

Going for OR tml..is the procedure usually be very long? Any pain after that?

Dr mentioned to do FET cus i may be suffering from OHSS

Welcome to the forum! OR is under complete sedation so you will not know anything...just sleepy...how long it will take depends on how many follicles u have and how easy it is to reach, so everyone is different. No more than 30 min in general. After I woke up I had minor cramps and light bleeding, but not too painful. Good luck at OR tmr! How many follicles at last scan?

Welcome to the forum! OR is under complete sedation so you will not know anything...just sleepy...how long it will take depends on how many follicles u have and how easy it is to reach, so everyone is different. No more than 30 min in general. After I woke up I had minor cramps and light bleeding, but not too painful. Good luck at OR tmr! How many follicles at last scan?

Thanks dear! Last scan was total of 18 follicles ..was a lil worried cus not all managed to grow to the ideal size of 15mm n abv i think

Isit normal to have the bleeding? The sedation isit by jab? A little scared now =s

Thanks dear! Last scan was total of 18 follicles ..was a lil worried cus not all managed to grow to the ideal size of 15mm n abv i think

Isit normal to have the bleeding? The sedation isit by jab? A little scared now =s
Light bleeding is normal, as long as it's not fresh blood gushing out. Sedation is administered thru the veins (for me it was on the back of my hand, not sure if the same for everyone). Don't be scared! It's actually kind of relaxing because there is nothing u need to do except to endure the hunger and thirst. Just sleep and let the doctor take care of everything. :)

Very good follicle count! It's not possible to have every one be perfectly sized but as long as you have several lead ones you should be fine!

Seems like Dr THH is more spoken here with higher chances of success rate as compared to Dr Jerry Chan :(
Waiting for my next appt for ivf after failed iui. As Dr Matthew Lau is leaving, he referred me to Dr Jerry Chan..

Today is my d15p3t and i m into my 3rd day of spotting. I dare not test at home to see the results.. My bt is due on 28th june. Its getting me confused if my AF is coming..

Finally use e hpt to test but its bfn... Izzit too early to test on d16p3t? Was quite disappointed..

Seems like Dr THH is more spoken here with higher chances of success rate as compared to Dr Jerry Chan :(
Waiting for my next appt for ivf after failed iui. As Dr Matthew Lau is leaving, he referred me to Dr Jerry Chan..
Hey there!
*NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE*
I'm sometimes skeptical when I hear abt "high success rate doctors/sinsehs". However I don't deny that some drs are really more experienced.
My logic is that they will naturally have more patients & therefore (mathematically) we will hear more patients succeed.
There are also many ladies out there who succeed with "less famous" drs (as well as failed with "famous" ones)
What's impt is that we place our complete trust in the dr that we are seeing & we are comfy with him/her :)
Believe that every dr will want patient to succeed & will try his/her best to help u :)

Light bleeding is normal, as long as it's not fresh blood gushing out. Sedation is administered thru the veins (for me it was on the back of my hand, not sure if the same for everyone). Don't be scared! It's actually kind of relaxing because there is nothing u need to do except to endure the hunger and thirst. Just sleep and let the doctor take care of everything. :)

Very good follicle count! It's not possible to have every one be perfectly sized but as long as you have several lead ones you should be fine!

Thanks for the encouragement! Im done with ER and managed to retrieve 14 eggs today.

Hopefully most will be able to last till day 5!

Hi, me too have no symptoms. Was like u, went crazy looking for symptoms everyday but then no symptoms may not be a bad thing :)
Nice to see the smile...hope means something......after the worriesome journey...tww is ending and waiting for yr good news soon gal.

Hi all,

Im new in this forum. Jus started my first ivf process two weeks ago..

Going for OR tml..is the procedure usually be very long? Any pain after that?

Dr mentioned to do FET cus i may be suffering from OHSS
FET is actually better. By then, your body will be free from drugs that u had early inject. Easier to stick for some people. Good luck.

Need yr advice on this...

Today is day 1 after the egg retrieval..clinic called to say 9 eggs were fertilized..

Do you girls encounter the embryo did not successfully last to day 3 or day 5?

If at the end of day 5..there is no more successful embryo, what will the doctor usually do?

Today is day 1 after the egg retrieval..clinic called to say 9 eggs were fertilized..

If at the end of day 5..there is no more successful embryo, what will the doctor usually do?
9 eggs is a good number!

I hope you're not worried that none of the 9 make it to ET? :) Stay positive la :)

If none then ET will be cancelled.. And then meet up with doc and decide if you want to start another fresh in a few cycles' time

9 eggs is a good number! yes, the number may drop the longer it takes to culture. Out of 5 of my fertilised embryos, only 2 made it to D3 and 1 kiv.

In general about 40-60% of the day 3 embryos will make it to blast on day 5 or 6. Of course if depends on embryo quality - I am just quoting the average of what I have seen online.

9 is a good number. Which hospital are you with? Are they suggesting day 5 vs day 3?

Thanks gals for the advice! Yeps im kinda worried about my eggs quality =(

Understand it will drop ..jus like 9 r successfully fertilised..i was happy to hear that but on the other hand, worried abt the figures dropping

Im with prof ng at sincere..he is suggesting day 5.but i understand thr is a grading for the embryos too?

Whats the kind of grading they haf? Possible to share?

Understand it will drop ..jus like 9 r successfully fertilised..i was happy to hear that but on the other hand, worried abt the figures dropping

Im with prof ng at sincere..he is suggesting day 5.but i understand thr is a grading for the embryos too?

different clinics have different grading systems. At kkh, grade 4 is the best while i heard others Grade1 is the best quality embryos. The embryologist will advise you the quality during ET stage.

Hello xiuwenx,i was with sincere clinic before. Sincere grading for day 3 is grade 1 is e best. Grade 4 is e worst. For day 5,i think its by AA BB grading. All e best!

Back