IVF/ICSI Support Group

Jus done ER today..other than vomitted once, i dun feel any pain.. Is this normal? The previous ER i do feel pain n alot of discomfort..

Hi,
I did my ER last week. Had OHSS. Too many eggs. Felt bloated for whole week and was walking like pregnant lady. But only MC two days. Did anyone else has OHSS? Can also share how many embryos retrieved and how many actually are good quality and frozen?

Hi,
I did my ER last week. Had OHSS. Too many eggs. Felt bloated for whole week and was walking like pregnant lady. But only MC two days. Did anyone else has OHSS? Can also share how many embryos retrieved and how many actually are good quality and frozen?
I only able to yield 12 eggs, hope they are able to fertilise more den 4 tis time.. The previous time yielded 11 eggs n fertilize 4..

I always think this arrangement is for the convenience of Dr- pts get all ready so as not too waste Dr's time. it will be so devastating for pts who prepared with full bladder, sarong, sitting on the 'operation chair' and be told that no transfer to be done and cycle has to be cancelled.
For kkh, their protocol is to check on the embryo every morning at 7 plus. Was told by Dr Tan and the embryologist on separate ocassion that they don't and can't constantly open and check the embryo. The analogy given by Dr Tan is while baking a cake, u can't keep open the oven door to check on the cake as u will lost the required heat to bake the cake. Sounds funny but makes sense.

On my both fresh ivf, I have to commend the embryologist as she called me before 8am to give me updates on my embryo situation which mean they start work very early.

For my 2nd fresh, I still fill my bladder to full while waiting to see Dr Tan as I have the option to do a day 2 or 3 transfer and Dr Tan recommended day 3 but if I want to do day 2 he will transfer for me immediately.

In fact on my day 3 transfer, I can't hold my bladder anymore and had to go to toilet. End up I just have to drink water again.. No choice as Dr last min has an emergency surgery to do.

For kkh, their protocol is to check on the embryo every morning at 7 plus. Was told by Dr Tan and the embryologist on separate ocassion that they don't and can't constantly open and check the embryo. The analogy given by Dr Tan is while baking a cake, u can't keep open the oven door to check on the cake as u will lost the required heat to bake the cake. Sounds funny but makes sense.

On my both fresh ivf, I have to commend the embryologist as she called me before 8am to give me updates on my embryo situation which mean they start work very early.

For my 2nd fresh, I still fill my bladder to full while waiting to see Dr Tan as I have the option to do a day 2 or 3 transfer and Dr Tan recommended day 3 but if I want to do day 2 he will transfer for me immediately.

In fact on my day 3 transfer, I can't hold my bladder anymore and had to go to toilet. End up I just have to drink water again.. No choice as Dr last min has an emergency surgery to do.
Interesting to hear abt the constant checking of embryos. For NUH, after ER the embryologist would call every morning to update embryo growth & ask if we have any qns. They would call up till morning of ET. Now I wonder y they could do that.

Hmm the embryologist didn't call me today after my ER yesterday. Does that mean no hope? Any1 know if we can call kkivf hotline to check on the embryo status?

Hmm the embryologist didn't call me today after my ER yesterday. Does that mean no hope? Any1 know if we can call kkivf hotline to check on the embryo status?
I think for kk it's not standard for the embryologist to call. For my case, call me is not gd news.. So maybe no news is gd news. :)

Interesting to hear abt the constant checking of embryos. For NUH, after ER the embryologist would call every morning to update embryo growth & ask if we have any qns. They would call up till morning of ET. Now I wonder y they could do that.
Yah dunno leh.. They all have their own protocol. In fact in kk, the number of scans are not as frequent as other hospital. Maybe could be the large number of patients? Can't cope?

I think for kk it's not standard for the embryologist to call. For my case, call me is not gd news.. So maybe no news is gd news. :)
Ya. For e case of kkh,i think When e embrylogist call,its no good news
Or it could be they need yr hubby down to produ e samples again. So its better not to hear from them. So far that is e case for me.

Last edited:
Kk normallu dont call. At ET only we will know abt embryos n decision on which day transfer.

Will eggies and lining continue to grow after trigger. My scan today was ok. Tot should be trigger tomorrow for monday pickup but have to continue stim till sunday. Mon scan again. Hope monday eggies are ready. Lining abt 10mm so dont know if will overcook.

Hi ladies...

I've seen 2 doctors for review after my 3rd failed fresh...

For my cycles, this is what I have :

Eggs retreived : eggs fertilised
1) 4 : 2
2) 3 : 2
3) 2 : 1

As I have low egg reserve and severe endo, I always do not have a lot of eggs...

So I have 2 options to consider now ...

1) dr tan HH
Protocol : short
Drugs : DHEA and 150 menopur
Cost : 8-12k
May yield only 1 or 2 eggs with chances of cancellation...

2) dr Loh
Protocol : long
Drugs : 425 puregon, 150 menopur, and saizen
Cost : 16-18k

Which should I go for????

Also, has anyone with severe endometrosis taken DHEA?

Any side effects to DHEA? Dr tan only ask me to take for 2 months...

Last edited:
Hi ladies...

As I have low egg reserve and severe endo, I always do not have a lot of eggs...

1) dr tan HH

2) dr Loh

Did Dr Loh give an estimate of roughly how many eggs likely to have base on your condition?

DHEA cannot take for long term if I am not wrong.

Hi ladies...

1) dr tan HH

2) dr Loh

This are my thoughts : Go with what your heart tells you and dont start until you are wholeheartedly believing in that road (even if you continue to fear the uncertainty of either option). The fact is neither will guarantee any success/improvement so all you can do is trust your guts and know that you have tried your best. And if the action taken didnt yield a "better" result, dont look back and say "shld hv taken the other option".

Take your time - don't think there is a clear cut answer when it comes to the art (not the science) of ivf.

Remain as strong as you are now, and know that you ARE strong. Take care and good luck dear

hi @tsf0205 I was under both Dr Loh (2011) and Dr Tan (2014). Both are good doctors with proven track records and I BFP under their magic hands on first try - 1 live birth and 1 m/c. Dr Loh has a quirky temperament and Dr Tan is very assuring. I have the same confidence in both of them. Although I BFP under Dr Loh at KKH in 2011, I didn't return to Dr Loh at Gleneagles because I preferred a familiar environment at KKH and I had good experience at KKH and very importantly, lower cost & available grants at KKH.

I read back on your past postings. The odds are against us, with multiple factors not working out. Communications with DH also got strained at points in the journey. However, there are success cases even for the most "fertility-challenged" amongst us. DH felt that optimizing each attempt meant having to return to Dr Loh at Gleneagles. I felt that optimizing each attempt meant me having a calm and less stressed experience and hence, my considerations above on environment, familiarity and cost. Although I m/c after my recent fresh, I don't regret not returning to Dr Loh as I felt that all conditions have been optimized, especially my state of mind and body and diet. I guess as @ron8129 puts it, trust your guts (regarding the choice of doc/protocol/environment) and know that you tried your best (for mind/body/diet).

Sincerely wishing you the best on your journey.

BTW, my girlfriend with a ton of medical complications... That gives me hope! :)
1) 2 : 2 -> BFP -> live birth 1 kid
2) 2 : 1 -> BFP -> live birth 1 kid

Hi ladies...

1) dr tan HH

2) dr Loh

I only able to yield 12 eggs, hope they are able to fertilise more den 4 tis time.. The previous time yielded 11 eggs n fertilize 4..

It's my 1st try for IVF, 20 eggs extracted. End up only 4 frozen for next month to implant. Can't implant this month due to OHSS. I thought my drop out rates are very high. Don't know it's my eggs' problem or my hubby's sperm quality :(

It's my 1st try for IVF, 20 eggs extracted. End up only 4 frozen for next month to implant. Can't implant this month due to OHSS. I thought my drop out rates are very high. Don't know it's my eggs' problem or my hubby's sperm quality :(
Rest well to recover from the OHSS. 4 frosties is a good start. Prep your body well for the transfer. Better chance of BFP without the drugs.

Hi ladies...

1) dr tan HH

2) dr Loh

Hi Tsf understand your dilemma. This whole ivf journey is a mysterious roller coaster ride. We don't know what is awaiting till we embark on it. Everyday is challenging. Worrying about medicines reaction follicle n lining growth scan n blood results. It's emotionally physically and financially straining. Relation with spouse also get affected. But we are to be strong and persistent to keep preserving to hold that little bundle of joy in our arms despite all these challenges. That's most beautiful thing about women.

In my opinion at kkh it's very difficult to get personalise service. You can't have heart to heart talk and consultation with Dr Tan though he is a very nice doctor. It's their protocol. Dr loh service is v personalise. He does the scans and offer you expert advice. But there is a price to both and the outcome is completely unknown. Both doctors are v good and they write the exams for us but God grants the pass or fail. They also dont know the outcome.

Choose what your heart says. If Dr Tan be it. But you know you can always go to Dr loh for second opinion and advise. His door is always open. If you choose the latter àlso fine. Please pray and take your time to decide.

Hi all, have been inactive for quite sometime. Abit of my history. Gave birth to my gril in 03. Miscarriage in 05. Have been ttc after that. Tried tcm & iui to no avail in 07/08. So finally decided to get referal letter for ivf late last yr after much consideration with hb as my daughter will be 12 this year. Consulted Dr Rajesh of SGH. Did a few test. Hb's turn is in early May. Our iv counselling session is in late May. My next Dr appt will be mid may. Going for D1 scan soon. Will be 39 real soon. wonder whats ahead for me.

Hi all, have been inactive for quite sometime. Abit of my history. Gave birth to my gril in 03. Miscarriage in 05. Have been ttc after that. Tried tcm & iui to no avail in 07/08. So finally decided to get referal letter for ivf late last yr after much consideration with hb as my daughter will be 12 this year. Consulted Dr Rajesh of SGH. Did a few test. Hb's turn is in early May. Our iv counselling session is in late May. My next Dr appt will be mid may. Going for D1 scan soon. Will be 39 real soon. wonder whats ahead for me.
Welcome here. Are u cycling in May as well? I shud be starting jabs 7 May

We thinking of trying via this method too... in fact, just emailed my Director on matters regarding leave and claims for this issue...

For those who have tried more than once, how do you decide if you want to take long or short protocol for your next cycle? Would doc advise or they will leave it for you to decide?

For those who have tried more than once, how do you decide if you want to take long or short protocol for your next cycle? Would doc advise or they will leave it for you to decide?
It's a trial & error. I did short for 1st cycle and 2nd cycle I did long as recommended by doc to provide equal growth of eggs and since I am not afraid of jabs he encouraged me to try long. I responded better to long and so my 3rd cycle will still be long cycle.

In my case, Dr gave recommendations but leave it to me to decide. E.g. He proposed a short protocol for my 3rd fresh, but coz i bfp-ed through a long protocol, i asked for advice if long protocol would be more suitable. That's when he explained the differences and i decided to follow his recommendation. I think dr's recommendation would also depend on the results of the various test, age and body conditions bah. Anyway, i also bfp-ed during the thaw cycle after my 2nd fresh which was a short cycle, just that i lost it at week 8. Guess it doesn't make much diff for me.

my case 3 fresh all long as first doc said eggs will hv time to grow evenly but no luck. Then 4th changed doc and he looked at my report and straight away said 'let's try short as you all 3 cycles no luck with long' I went along and bfp

I want to add that though long cycles resulted in slightly more eggs than short for me, it is my short that gave apparently better quality eggs ..

Last edited:
Doc will recommend.. According to dr Mathew lau, no much difference on both long or short.. Jus dat short is less stress.. Less jab..

But i read online, some respond better to short cycle.. For me, i manage to yield one more egg den e long cycle..

Hi
I have below to let go, need to clear asap.
2 stick crinone gel exp nov 2016
1 box progynova plus 7 pills extra exp april 2016
3 strip of sangobion exp nov 2015
all to let go at $20

Pls pm me

Doc will recommend.. According to dr Mathew lau, no much difference on both long or short.. Jus dat short is less stress.. Less jab..

But i read online, some respond better to short cycle.. For me, i manage to yield one more egg den e long cycle..

I also reviewed with Dr Matthew Lau. He didn't even tell me long short is what thing. I just went along with what they prescribe me. I did the puregon and antagonist. Off hand can't remember the names. Was supposed to be in march cycle but will only be gg for ET this month.

I also reviewed with Dr Matthew Lau. He didn't even tell me long short is what thing. I just went along with what they prescribe me. I did the puregon and antagonist. Off hand can't remember the names. Was supposed to be in march cycle but will only be gg for ET this month.

Dr Matthew is quite nice. He did ET for me previously when my Dr was away for overseas conference. I am on short antagonist cycle too . D2 to D4 of menses i have to jab orgalutran. D5 onwards jab puregon. I am at D7 now, going for scan on Wed. We can be cycle buddies.

Dr Matthew is quite nice. He did ET for me previously when my Dr was away for overseas conference. I am on short antagonist cycle too . D2 to D4 of menses i have to jab orgalutran. D5 onwards jab puregon. I am at D7 now, going for scan on Wed. We can be cycle buddies.
Hi cycle mate!
Yah. Dr Lau is very nice. In Feb, he removed polyps from my uterus. He did the ER for me too. Thought he only work in the clinic and was surprised to see him in the OT during my ER. Or maybe it was coz I potentially was going to have OHSS and he was my doctor and so did the ER for me?

Hi cycle mate!
Yah. Dr Lau is very nice. In Feb, he removed polyps from my uterus. He did the ER for me too. Thought he only work in the clinic and was surprised to see him in the OT during my ER. Or maybe it was coz I potentially was going to have OHSS and he was my doctor and so did the ER for me?

Are you a subsidised or private patient? If you are a private patient, you will be seeing the same doc throughout (consultation, ER and ET) unless your doc is away. During stim, you will see the doc on duty such as Dr Veronique or Dr Jessie. But if subsidised, you will see the same few docs within the same team. Anyway he is also quite gentle. If my Dr is away, i always hope it's Dr Mathew covering. Lol

Whcih day of stim are you at now? When's your next scan?

Back